2020/21 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has he even posted anything on his social media, i know he is still getting huge money and all that but still to be out for 18 months must be tough mentally.

I’ve certainly been curious about the mysterious silences around Gbamin, but anyone still dragging him over his injuries can get right in the bin. Imagine the mental difficulties dealing with that second major injury in a row and not playing for a year and a half. As a club they can’t be counting on anything from him for team planning purposes (ie it should not stop us from buying another DM) but man I’ll be cheering hard for him when he does make it back on the field. Seemed a really good lad from his intro videos/interviews.

I get the desire from fans to see him play, given we have Tom Davies and Gylfi Sigurdsson actually starting games and with Allan still out.

But in all honesty... I'd be amazed if ever played for us again in any serious way. Perhaps a few minutes at the tail end of the season to put him in the shop window but I expect him to move back to France in the summer to rebuild his career, maybe on loan, and then after that he has a minor chance of playing for us in 2022/23, but contractually speaking you'd think we'd look to move him on for a fee at that point.

Hope I'm wrong of course but that amount of time out at a key stage of development for a footballer at his age... I just can't see him playing at the level and intensity needed for this league now.

I get the desire from fans to see him play, given we have Tom Davies and Gylfi Sigurdsson actually starting games and with Allan still out.

But in all honesty... I'd be amazed if ever played for us again in any serious way. Perhaps a few minutes at the tail end of the season to put him in the shop window but I expect him to move back to France in the summer to rebuild his career, maybe on loan, and then after that he has a minor chance of playing for us in 2022/23, but contractually speaking you'd think we'd look to move him on for a fee at that point.

Hope I'm wrong of course but that amount of time out at a key stage of development for a footballer at his age... I just can't see him playing at the level and intensity needed for this league now.

But all of this is just you speculating he won’t come back a decent player? Ancelotti himself proved that isn’t always the case.

He needs to be gently reintroduced and with the shortages we have at the moment it wouldn't be the right time. Once Allan is back he can be put on the bench and we can build his minutes from there. Ideally get him a feel for the Premier League this season then next season could be ready to take his place properly I still hold out hopes for him but if he gets another bad one I think it will be the end for him as mentally how do you come back from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.