2020/21 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I didn't know anything about the lad when he signed for us; but I kind of remember him being injured (or he had just recovered from an injury) when Everton bought him. I may have that wrong though.

Nope, he'd not had an injury. He played in the AFCON then signed for us, on the back of a full season near enough with Mainz.

Said himself he wasn't fit as he had no pre-season but was thrown in against Palace in the first game when Schneiderlin was sent off, when it should have been Davies.

Started v Watford and IIRC because of some injuries ended up playing the entire game.

Then did his thigh in training before the Villa game. Club medical staff thought it was just a small injury so they decided against surgery. He aggravated it once he returned to training and that needed surgery - if they'd have just done the surgery in the first place he'd have been back by Xmas 2019. As it was, the surgery put him out until March, then as he was nearing a return, COVID hit.

He then starts training with us and does his Achilles at the end of May. Freak movement but obviously a dreadful injury to have.

Nope, he'd not had an injury. He played in the AFCON then signed for us, on the back of a full season near enough with Mainz.

Said himself he wasn't fit as he had no pre-season but was thrown in against Palace in the first game when Schneiderlin was sent off, when it should have been Davies.

Started v Watford and IIRC because of some injuries ended up playing the entire game.

Then did his thigh in training before the Villa game. Club medical staff thought it was just a small injury so they decided against surgery. He aggravated it once he returned to training and that needed surgery - if they'd have just done the surgery in the first place he'd have been back by Xmas 2019. As it was, the surgery put him out until March, then as he was nearing a return, COVID hit.

He then starts training with us and does his Achilles at the end of May. Freak movement but obviously a dreadful injury to have.

Cheers for that. Could've sworn we had Evertonians moaning that we signed an injured player etc. when he came to us, but my memory is obviously well off the mark.

Cheers for that. Could've sworn we had Evertonians moaning that we signed an injured player etc. when he came to us, but my memory is obviously well off the mark.

As far as I recall his injury record hadn't been bad at all before he signed for us.

If the medical staff had have judged his initial problem with us better, he probably wouldn't have been where he is now

Ease him in over the Christmas period.

We need to rotate in that time as it is.

It's frustrating as if we're to play 4-3-3 we need him to be in there or for Gomes to refind his form, but it's better to be patient.
Even that would be sooner than ideal I think. He's not even training properly yet and christmas is only 4/5 weeks away. After this long out i'd kind of like him to play 3 or 4 under 23/specially arranged games before he gets pitched in to the first team. That way if he feels it he can just be subbed straight away. I wouldn't be surprised if we just chuck him in from the start in about 2 weeks knowing Everton, but I'd like to think they'll take it slow.

Even that would be sooner than ideal I think. He's not even training properly yet and christmas is only 4/5 weeks away. After this long out i'd kind of like him to play 3 or 4 under 23/specially arranged games before he gets pitched in to the first team. That way if he feels it he can just be subbed straight away. I wouldn't be surprised if we just chuck him in from the start in about 2 weeks knowing Everton, but I'd like to think they'll take it slow.

We are going to have to rotate our options though. It's going to be about managing the time he plays.

For example, if we have 3 games in 7 days, which is likely, then if he can get 15-30 mins as a sub in one game and then maybe a start in another, or a 30 min sub app.

He's been working on his recovery from the injury in terms of cardio and conditioning out in France for well over a month now. The aim of that is so that when he comes back into training, he at least has a bit of base fitness to work from and then it's about building up sharpness etc

Definitely a balancing act, though. A precarious one at that.

With Digne's training ground injury they are not taking any chances with Gbamin's 287th comeback...

Screenshot_20201126-224633_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.