2019/20 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
....unless you know something that I don’t, Gbamin didn’t arrive with fatigue and a bad injury record. The fatigue happened Post-signing because he was immediately thrown into the team without a pre-season and also undertook full training.

Silva took a risk and it didn’t pay off.
Summer of ANC games and just the 9 previous injuries.

Very prudent choice of recruit by Brands.

Summer of ANC games and just the 9 previous injuries.

Very prudent choice of recruit by Brands.

8 (your 9 includes the current injury), including one that, according to your own source, kept him out for 0 days. But still above average for the sample I looked at above.

I agree he doesn't seem to get minor injuries, though.

How much time did those injuries cause him to miss and how does it compare to other 24year old defensive midfielders?
I dont give a flying one about other 24 year old players.

He's our 24 year old and he's had multiple injuries already: hamstrings, thigh strains, ankle injuries...

He should have been swerved. OBVIOUSLY.

Last edited:
So from this we can see that @davek has a point. Gbamin is absolute top in days out injured, joint second with Dier in absolute number of injuries and third in days per injury. He's a player who (with this latest injury) has an above average propensity to be injured.

However, lets discount the current injury as Brands and Silva aren't possessed of a crystal ball. Taking out one inury and Transfermarkt's 95 day estimation... He's still 3rd in number of injuries, third in days out and still 3rd in days per injury (albeit much closer to the mean.)... His injury record is strikingly similar to Dier in all regards.
Leave Silva out of it. WTF has he got to do with going out and finding players?

I dont give a flying one about other 24 year old players.

He's our 24 year old and he's had multiple injuroes already: hamstrings, thigh strains, ankle injuries...

He should have been swerved. OBVIOUSLY.

Jeezo. So if the average 24 year old had 8 injuries and missed roughly the same amount of football he still should have been swerved? Taking a number in abstract is a terrible way to make a decision.

By the way, I'm agreeing with you and you're still finding a way to be obnoxious.

Erm not really?

We start the match with 2 centre mids (Gomes & Schneiderlin) with 2 other centre mids on the bench (Gbamin & Davies)

Why at half time is an undercooked Gbamin chosen over Davies to come on? It’s reckless if he wasn’t up to speed. After Schneiderlin was sent off on like 80 mins Davies is brought on.
And yet here you are in August saying you expect him to start and explaining why him playing is ok, because brands said so...

But Gomes won’t play so Davies and Gbamin will likely start. Sidibe can play either side. You need a centre half on the bench especially since the only midfielder that can possibly do it is new and extremely rusty.
But the Gbamin case is different as pointed out with a recent interview with Silva/Brands (can't think which one) where they explained Gbamin had played a full senior season last year whereas Kean only got minutes from the bench and only in the last couple of months of the season.

They're not similar scenarios however you want to try spin it.
So you didn’t think it was reckless at the time, you just do now. Because we’ve lost a few games and everything has to be silvas fault.

I mean we are performing worse but how much of that is down to Silva?

Squad wise we CERTAINLY have a far better squad than we did under koeman/allardyce ( well Koemans second season squad )

with the right manager and a couple of additions I still think we have a really good squad
I disagree. Other than Digne, it's tat. Utter tat.

I don't think I agree with that summary Dave.
Peter Reid was regarded as a crock and we took a huge risk in signing him.
I think Gbamin was rushed into the team and paid the price.
Players get injured all the time, it is the nature of the modern game and why a large squad is needed rather than thirteen or fourteen players in the era of Peter Reid.
Gbamin may prove to be injury prove, as might Kean or any other player we sign. I would doubt that we have a single player who didn't miss a game in the last twelve months because of injury, possibly apart from the goalkeeper.
As said already: taking a chance on a proven player like Reid is a world away from pissing £25M on a player with no pedigree and an injury record as long as your arm.

And yet here you are in August saying you expect him to start and explaining why him playing is ok, because brands said so...

So you didn’t think it was reckless at the time, you just do now. Because we’ve lost a few games and everything has to be silvas fault.

No, I think it’s reckless now because now we know he likely wasn’t fit enough to play. At the time you can only go on the info you’ve got. You can’t bash someone over hindsight.

Personally think when he’s fit and up to speed after the op he’ll be our best midfielder by a mile.

Totally agree.

Mina took a year and now is head and shoulders our best centre back (not a great sample size!) and one half of a defence with Digne which could see us go places.

Hopefully Gbamin is able to come back strongly and cement a place in the team.

Oh ye
Totally agree.

Mina took a year and now is head and shoulders our best centre back (not a great sample size!) and one half of a defence with Digne which could see us go places.

Hopefully Gbamin is able to come back strongly and cement a place in the team.

Good point. In amongst the wailing and gnashing of teeth, I think we all forgot to hope he recovers well and quickly and goes on to have a great Everton career.

8 (your 9 includes the current injury), including one that, according to your own source, kept him out for 0 days. But still above average for the sample I looked at above.

I agree he doesn't seem to get minor injuries, though.
Should never have been signed. Where's the due dilligence on these players?

Nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.