January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
There does seem to be a trend with some of the better clubs to play 3 CB and a FB in a back 4 these days. If you look at City it's Ake, Dias, Stones, Walker (or a combination of others) and Arsenal seem to play with Zinchenko, Gabriel, Saliba, White. It's why I can see him giving games to Godfrey at the moment as his pace offers that bit of extra cover. Agree with you on the other side mate, old man Coleman simply can't be trotted out for another full season, it's getting a bit silly now tbh and Patterson is not the answer from what he has shown so far.
Maybe, but I think Dyche is playing Godfrey out of necessity not choice. My bet is we see two solid but unspectacular full backs arrive in the summer. Whether we stay up or not. We'll see, I guess.

We defo dont have a transfer budget of 90 mill mate.

I began by saying "hypothetically".

Don't need to spend £30m on players to improve this squad mate.

A good recruitment team could plug gaps for much less. We don't have a good recruitment team though, so no matter how much is available I doubt it'll be spent wisely.

Any recruitment team Im sure would prefer to have an avg allocation of £30mil per player....than £18mil per player.

I think we could if we wanted to. We are 32m in profit in the past 2 years, mostly last season with the unspent Gordon money. We will have 60m after Kean. If we sell and move on a few unneeded players the club could spend 75m while still being net positive on player trading. Considering the pandemic should no longer be effecting finances, I would think that would put the club net positive on the books as well.

We dont know the actual 'FFP' numbers which is why its all guesswork.

But, if we were even and brought in £18mil in sales we could spend £90mil.

The Gordon and Kean sales will be consumed by the operating loses we make each year.

9 days till the club has to publish the accounts.

Theres gotta be a reason they are delaying it this long.

Oh is it only a week off. Interesting.

But my point wasnt really about the numbers, it was simply that a budget spread across 3 major signings should be more effective than one spread across 5.

No idea what your point is to be honest mate…
I don’t really know how to make it clearer to be honest, it’s pretty simple. I believed you were saying that we shouldn’t spend big even if we could, because we had previously made a mess of it. I disagree with that, so I replied saying so. I have been quite clear that I don’t believe we should spend beyond our means - I even used those exact words.

We should look to spend all of the budget available to the best possible outcome.

I'm all for the bargain basement, but it relies on a very effective scouting and recruitment model.

History says we don't have that, but it doesn't mean we should stop trying.

The farce we saw at the end of both summer and winter windows this season goes some way, not all, but some, as to why we are potentially a few points down on where we could have been.

It was down to incompetence, not a club in a stable position prudently deciding to keep it's powder dry. We didn't and don't have that luxury.

I think Pickford will be sold in the summer despite the new contract.

We should look to spend all of the budget available to the best possible outcome.

I'm all for the bargain basement, but it relies on a very effective scouting and recruitment model.

The farce we saw at the end of both summer and winter windows this season goes some way, not all, but some, as to why we are potentially a few points down on where we could have been.

It was down to incompetence, not a club in a stable position prudently deciding to keep it's powder dry. We didn't and don't have that luxury.

I am hoping that Dyche spent his time out of management scouting emerging talent to keep in hos notebook for his next job. If he did (and he did seem to get to an awful lot of matches whilst on the dole) then hopefully there will be a few who haven’t been snapped up come the next transfer window?

Im Sorry but using the word disappointment for a kid who’s played 13 games is ridiculous. Yes you can say that for his injuries, but not his performances, what do you expect from a kid coming into a relegation fodder squad. Like I pointed out Coleman is still making mistakes and he’s not the only one, people raving about Keane and he’s been at fault for some goals and has only just been back in the team.

There’s people on the site who still haven’t given up on Tom Davies and he’s played 160 games.

If you’re making judgments after 13 games,
You’d have given up on most of the 80’s team, including southall who went out on loan after making 26 appearances for the first team
I think the main disappointment was buying a raw kid, when we needed a first-team ready RB who could limit Coleman's minutes. If we already had that, then buying someone like Patterson who could rotate in every now and then while they learn their trade would be perfect.

Saying that I do like the look of Patterson though and think he could become a good player, and I'll be interested to see how he gets on under Dyche when fit.

I don’t really know how to make it clearer to be honest, it’s pretty simple. I believed you were saying that we shouldn’t spend big even if we could, because we had previously made a mess of it. I disagree with that, so I replied saying so. I have been quite clear that I don’t believe we should spend beyond our means - I even used those exact words.

Yeah, no mate, you misunderstood my point - not sure where you got ever from - not ever- more the scope within our means at any one time - the topic i was responding to was this years spending and budget.

Clearly if you sell a Lukaku - that scope changes - but also the necessity.

That said i would trust our ability to spend 90 mill if we had it not a lot at the moment.

Last edited:
Giovani from Palmeiras linked.

19 year old right winger, highly rated and his youtube videos (as well as the comments) are impressive.

On paper an exciting potential signing for the squad available at around £13mil.

Giovani from Palmeiras linked.

19 year old right winger, highly rated and his youtube videos (as well as the comments) are impressive.

On paper an exciting potential signing for the squad available at around £13mil.
Another one that can probably be filed with Renier Jesus & that argie Sosa we were both supposedly close to signing. We can hope tho...

Any possible links we might see at the moment can be taken with a pinch of salt. Until we actually know what division we will be participating in, then we can't really take any link seriously.

Then again I would mind seeing a nice stat/graph on how many links can ever be taken seriously.
We've probably already covered every world wide player over the last few windows. ( especially since mosh has come in )

Maupay linked to Salernitana again...as well as Michael Keane. Interest in their centre forward, Dia mentioned as well as a possible swap.

Rasmus Hojland, the wonderkid centre forward at Atalanta linked as well £35-40mil.

I think Pickford will be sold in the summer because of the new contract. And fair play to the lad for signing it if he does want to get off for CL footie. It’ll help us massively.

I’d rather keep him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.