January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know what Marcel Brands has achieved in terms of player recruitment in the two years he's been here? We seem to have a massive squad on incredible wages yet most of us would happily boot them all aside from Gomes, Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin, Digne, Kean and potentially Pickford and Mina, and even those two I wouldn't be arsed about losing. That's seven from about twenty five on our books. Surely we should be in much better shape than this.
Marcel is going to have to answer for some of this sooner rather than later you'd think. He has gotten to the point where he can't just point at the previous guy and blame him now.

He has Ancelotti in the coaching position. A smattering of decent players, and some of the average ones may do better under Ancelotti, but not getting rid off a lot of the deadwood and having a few more decent players in by now is poor. I can't believe that it's not possible to shift some of our unwanted players to teams full of even more dross than us like Bournemouth or West Ham or even to the Championship or abroad.

Does anybody know what Marcel Brands has achieved in terms of player recruitment in the two years he's been here? We seem to have a massive squad on incredible wages yet most of us would happily boot them all aside from Gomes, Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin, Digne, Kean and potentially Pickford and Mina, and even those two I wouldn't be arsed about losing. That's seven from about twenty five on our books. Surely we should be in much better shape than this.

Ahem, he had an awful lot of crap to [Poor language removed] courtesy of Koeman and Walsh before he could even think about starting to bring players in. There`s still plenty to go too.

But you knew that already didn`t you.

Gomes, Richarlison, Digne, Kean and Mina are all Brands signings.
Pickford was Walsh. Calvert-Lewin I think may even pre-date Walsh.

Most of the ones I'm assuming you're moaning about (Walcott, Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Keane etc) are Walsh signings.

The main Brands signings you haven't mentioned above - Iwobi, Bernard, Delph, Sidibe and Gbamin - are all far from failures but still have something to prove.

I'd argue we're yet to have a total disaster Brands signing and a good proportion of them are people we can build around and work with.

not quite sure why so many people are down on him. He inherited an absolute flipping mess of a squad on long contracts and stupid wages. You can't fix that in less than several transfer window. This is his 4th.

Most of the ones I'm assuming you're moaning about (Walcott, Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Keane etc) are Walsh signings.

The main Brands signings you haven't mentioned above - Iwobi, Bernard, Delph, Sidibe and Gbamin - are all far from failures but still have something to prove.

I'd argue we're yet to have a total disaster Brands signing and a good proportion of them are people we can build around and work with.

not quite sure why so many people are down on him. He inherited an absolute flipping mess of a squad on long contracts and stupid wages. You can't fix that in less than several transfer window. This is his 4th.

The FIFA/FM generation think its dead easy to buy and sell players.

Looking at the responses to your post ,it did not go exactly to plan did it lol

Not so down on him myself, just don’t feel the adulation and high pedestal some put him on. Each to their own.

5 of the 7 players you mention above were signed under Brands. DCL was a youth player who Brands said needed to be given game time so he could succeed. That’s why he had no interest in signing a short term run of the mill striker (even though the fans were slagging him for not signing one).

that’s what he does. Those are his achievements. He’s slowly making the squad better/younger and is getting rid of the rubbish.

Tbf considering he only works on the last day of the window actually quite well.

Not so down on him myself, just don’t feel the adulation and high pedestal some put him on. Each to their own.

Certainly don't adore him myself. But I trust him a heck of a lot more than his predecessor. His general pattern has been to sign players who are young and hungry with something to prove - but with big club and top league and often CL experience. I'm sound with that after Walsh spunked millions on over-hyped players from clubs lower down than us. But he's trying to work that in whilst the legacy of the Walsh era remains. Next summer (2021) is a massive one as several burdens will be out of contract (Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Walcott). After that we can really move on from Walsh

Looking at the responses to your post ,it did not go exactly to plan did it lol
What you on about? There was no plan, just thinking out loud. If the squad has five of his signings amongst our six best players, after two years, maybe we'll have a squad that can compete for Europe within about four years. With the money supposedly available to him, you'd think he could have us competing with Leicester and Wolves somewhat sooner, wouldn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.