January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he's a favourite of the fans but for me Gomes shouldn't be a guaranteed starter - yes he's good on the ball and can pick a pass but to counterbalance that hes slow, cant tackle and has been inconsistent.

Would be ideal having Gbamin, a new signing and then Gomes to compete for 2 spots with Delph as cover.

Schneiderlin, Gyfi & Davies to go in the bin.

Id be a big Gomes fan myself mate. Jeepers i forgot about Delph too.

But i do think we need to rationalise central midifild before looking at adding, Delph Davies, JPG, Gomes, Gylfi, Morgan.

An area to player trade to add better quality in the summer certainly, but i dont see that happening in Jan or much point in bringing in another layer of players. maybe a loan to help with the Gomes and JPG injuries.

Morgan and Gylfi's contracts need looking at in the summer, so i would be looking to player trade them (though im a Gylfi fan) to add a bit more quality in reserve. If we get a player in a loan now with an option and look at out deals in the summer im all right with that, not ideal but football wise would be a help.

Dropping another 35 mill on more central midfielders im a bit meh with, given our stock there currently and managing the squad.

Last edited:
I know he's a favourite of the fans but for me Gomes shouldn't be a guaranteed starter - yes he's good on the ball and can pick a pass but to counterbalance that hes slow, cant tackle and has been inconsistent.

Would be ideal having Gbamin, a new signing and then Gomes to compete for 2 spots with Delph as cover.

Schneiderlin, Gyfi & Davies to go in the bin.
Listening to CA we will see far more rotation of the squad going forward. We will see players left on the bench not because they are dropped but because rotation is the policy and when players know that in advance it isn't seen as a bad thing to be given a rest and left on the bench.
But, to do this you need players that you can interchange without dropping the standard so we are possibly trying to have a group of players who can be changed around and still do a job.

Liverpool are currently able to do this and City as well but to a lesser degree as their recruitment policy in the last couple of seasons has not been as good.

From an old Daily Mail
"Ruud Gullit (to Everton): Long before Gullit became a superstar with AC Milan and one of Holland’s greatest players, he was offered to Everton as a 17-year-old. For some reason, Gordon Lee, Everton’s then manager, rejected the opportunity."

Don't know if you've ever read the autobiography about Brian Clough, but apparently we had a deal very close for Billy Bremner lined up, fell through though. Mouthwatering, imagine the Ball, Harvey, Kendall combination with Billy Bremner.

Status
Not open for further replies.