January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah I understand the theory but i'm suggesting there may not be players in that bracket which we want.

I've done a quick google - in order of Transfermarkt value, these players have expiring contracts:

Eriksen
Willian
Fraser
Menuier
Mertes
Cavani
Matic
Gotze
Callejon
Bonavenutra
Vertonghen
Matuidi
Pedro
Dzyuba
Kurzawa
Aranguiz
Ilicic
Nacho
David Silva
Luka Modric
Ever Banega

2 questions here:

1 - which players would be better than players for us than those in their respective positions already at the club? All of them probably.
2 - which players, considering their wages, sell-on value, age etc make sense for the club?

We were operating pre-Brands very much with the "if the question to answer 1 is yes then let's go get them" strategy. Money notwithstanding, Tosun was better than Calvert-Lewin and Niasse at the time. Walcott was better than...well...no-one.

The point is though that when these expensive signings flop, we are left in a state where the club is haemorrhaging cash for no real benefit.

We need to be clever now. Throwing £150,000 a week at Gotze because of his CV, for instance, wouldn't be clever. Even if he is a success, he's not enough to bridge the gap to the top 4.

Ryan Fraser is the only one from the above list i'd be looking at and i'm not sure we need a LM. We have Iwobi and Bernard. Plus Bournemouth wouldn't even be tempted to deal given how perilously close they are to dropping out of the league.
You'd only take Ryan Fraser out of all them?, i think i"ve been spiked.

Yeah I understand the theory but i'm suggesting there may not be players in that bracket which we want.

I've done a quick google - in order of Transfermarkt value, these players have expiring contracts:

Eriksen
Willian
Fraser
Menuier
Mertes
Cavani
Matic
Gotze
Callejon
Bonavenutra
Vertonghen
Matuidi
Pedro
Dzyuba
Kurzawa
Aranguiz
Ilicic
Nacho
David Silva
Luka Modric
Ever Banega

2 questions here:

1 - which players would be better than players for us than those in their respective positions already at the club? All of them probably.
2 - which players, considering their wages, sell-on value, age etc make sense for the club?

We were operating pre-Brands very much with the "if the question to answer 1 is yes then let's go get them" strategy. Money notwithstanding, Tosun was better than Calvert-Lewin and Niasse at the time. Walcott was better than...well...no-one.

The point is though that when these expensive signings flop, we are left in a state where the club is haemorrhaging cash for no real benefit.

We need to be clever now. Throwing £150,000 a week at Gotze because of his CV, for instance, wouldn't be clever. Even if he is a success, he's not enough to bridge the gap to the top 4.

Ryan Fraser is the only one from the above list i'd be looking at and i'm not sure we need a LM. We have Iwobi and Bernard. Plus Bournemouth wouldn't even be tempted to deal given how perilously close they are to dropping out of the league.

Bring me the head of Luca Modric!

Status
Not open for further replies.