January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sign players in the last 6 to summer moves then offer the club X to take now. Most times they would rather take SOMETHING than nothing.
Yeah I understand the theory but i'm suggesting there may not be players in that bracket which we want.

I've done a quick google - in order of Transfermarkt value, these players have expiring contracts:

Eriksen
Willian
Fraser
Menuier
Mertes
Cavani
Matic
Gotze
Callejon
Bonavenutra
Vertonghen
Matuidi
Pedro
Dzyuba
Kurzawa
Aranguiz
Ilicic
Nacho
David Silva
Luka Modric
Ever Banega

2 questions here:

1 - which players would be better than players for us than those in their respective positions already at the club? All of them probably.
2 - which players, considering their wages, sell-on value, age etc make sense for the club?

We were operating pre-Brands very much with the "if the question to answer 1 is yes then let's go get them" strategy. Money notwithstanding, Tosun was better than Calvert-Lewin and Niasse at the time. Walcott was better than...well...no-one.

The point is though that when these expensive signings flop, we are left in a state where the club is haemorrhaging cash for no real benefit.

We need to be clever now. Throwing £150,000 a week at Gotze because of his CV, for instance, wouldn't be clever. Even if he is a success, he's not enough to bridge the gap to the top 4.

Ryan Fraser is the only one from the above list i'd be looking at and i'm not sure we need a LM. We have Iwobi and Bernard. Plus Bournemouth wouldn't even be tempted to deal given how perilously close they are to dropping out of the league.

View attachment 76993

This was his face after he said all the names in the papers are wrong, all the names on Sky are wrong (after being asked about Emre Can). He has something special lined up!

I've seen that face before...…………….

We've deffo got a few youngsters lined up.

I know, it's as if Leicester didn't go from no Europe to winning the league and now those season from no Europe to probably cl.

...it just doesn't happe!!
Leicester was once in a blue moon no one could have predicted. Leicester playing well now as they have a decent manager and players.

I'm still OK with us not bringing anyone in this month.

I don't think we can bring in anyone at a decent price who will both make a difference in the League now and also perform well in the side for years to come (e.g. Tosun and Walcott both had immediate impacts but have failed off since and cost us loads of money)
When did Tosun ever have an impact?

View attachment 76993

This was his face after he said all the names in the papers are wrong, all the names on Sky are wrong (after being asked about Emre Can). He has something special lined up!
That’s the face I use when I let off a fart in the supermarket and wait for a unsuspecting customer to walk slap bang into it while I peer back through the baked beans.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.