January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Europa Cup is terrible. Typical money grabbing exploitation exercise by UEFA. Until they stop CL losers taking part and stop playing on Thursday I don't want us in it. Even if we did qualify - I'd love to see us refuse to take part.

I like being it, it's something new but they should certainly reduce the amount of games and more importantly remove CL teams from it entirely.

I'm also against receiving a Europa spot for winning a cup, think it should be for 6th and 7th because what are teams say from 13th to 6th competing for

Silverware, history and good prize money should be the reward for that cup imo

The Europa Cup is terrible. Typical money grabbing exploitation exercise by UEFA. Until they stop CL losers taking part and stop playing on Thursday I don't want us in it. Even if we did qualify - I'd love to see us refuse to take part.
Winning the Europa cup would be a major achievement for Everton and would greatly raise our profile.
By contrast winning the League cup is of little consequence beyond our shores.
We have to regard competing in the Europa as the minimum target each season.

The whole EL poor form is an excuse mate - the EL has had no effect on Utd, Arsenal or Chelseas form in recent seasons neither has it had an effect on Wolves this season.

I've said for a while the fans have used Europe as an excuse for recent poor managers like Martinez and Koeman who all would have struggled with or without EL especially Koeman after that horrific summer of losing Rom and signing 3x no 10's.

If we turn our noses up at Europe seriously whats the point in even bothering? We aint winning the league or finishing in the top 4 - for me its a chance to win a trophy and easier route into the CL.

Totally agree that Europa League is used to excuse poor league performances. It should be used by us as a stepping stone towards competing in the champions league, which is what we are being told that we are aiming for.

Spurs benefitted from constantly qualifying for Europa League for several seasons before getting into the top four. By then they were used to the early season fixtures coming thick and fast, weekend and midweek. They had a squad big enough to cope with the extra games.

Arsenal and Chelsea have been constant European qualifiers and were well use to the extra fixtures, so even with their domestic form being a little poorer than normal, they had a squad strong enough to compete in Europe.

When Burnley qualified for the Europa league they didn't have the squad to cope because qualifying for it wouldn't have been one of their aims at the beginning of the season. They would have been focused on staying in the premier league.

The Europa League gets highlighted as the reason for teams bad form, particularly by the pundits on the TV channels that don't cover Europa League games.

Burnley last year bombed totally as a result and picked up as soon as they were out. Wolves this season, started really badly on the weeks that they had played in Europe, they have improved since, it does happen. Same as Stoke a few years ago I think. It seems that the bigger teams with bigger/better squads do not suffer but those that scrape in do.
I am not turning my nose up at it, I would just like to get a full season with Carlo and new signings in place before hand.

If we got Europe I would still be buzzin' and take wifey to another Euro away, she shops I watch - win win.
Burnley were knocked out in the qualifiers, and their form didn't pick up until they finally dropped Joe Hart in January.

When did Stoke qualify?

Burnley last year bombed totally as a result and picked up as soon as they were out. Wolves this season, started really badly on the weeks that they had played in Europe, they have improved since, it does happen. Same as Stoke a few years ago I think. It seems that the bigger teams with bigger/better squads do not suffer but those that scrape in do.
I am not turning my nose up at it, I would just like to get a full season with Carlo and new signings in place before hand.

If we got Europe I would still be buzzin' and take wifey to another Euro away, she shops I watch - win win.

Burnley are hardly setting the world alight this season though are they? That 1x 7th placed finish aside Burnley have done very little in the Prem.

Heck even us under Moyes consistently performed well despite being in Europe.

I get what you mean mate but if you offered me top 7 and europe now I would snatch your hands off.

A club of our stature and the supposed ambitions of it long term under Moshiri/Usmanov has to be playing in Europe for me.

Winning the Europa cup would be a major achievement for Everton and would greatly raise our profile.
By contrast winning the League cup is of little consequence beyond our shores.
We have to regard competing in the Europa as the minimum target each season.
We've not won a thing for absolute beards and people turn their nose up at European competition, which has the added benefit of attracting better players? Only our fans.

Totally agree that Europa League is used to excuse poor league performances. It should be used by us as a stepping stone towards competing in the champions league, which is what we are being told that we are aiming for.

Spurs benefitted from constantly qualifying for Europa League for several seasons before getting into the top four. By then they were used to the early season fixtures coming thick and fast, weekend and midweek. They had a squad big enough to cope with the extra games.

Arsenal and Chelsea have been constant European qualifiers and were well use to the extra fixtures, so even with their domestic form being a little poorer than normal, they had a squad strong enough to compete in Europe.

When Burnley qualified for the Europa league they didn't have the squad to cope because qualifying for it wouldn't have been one of their aims at the beginning of the season. They would have been focused on staying in the premier league.

The Europa League gets highlighted as the reason for teams bad form, particularly by the pundits on the TV channels that don't cover Europa League games.
Out of those examples, we are Burnley

Burnley are hardly setting the world alight this season though are they? That 1x 7th placed finish aside Burnley have done very little in the Prem.

I get what you mean mate but if you offered me top 7 and europe now I would snatch your hands off.

A club of our stature and the supposed ambitions of it long term under Moshiri/Usmanov has to be playing in Europe for me.

Agree, we should be in Europe and I cannot wait but do not want to risk progress for the sake of it. Even thought it appears it does not effect teams and I slightly made it up!
I think he was talking about Southampton not Stoke.

That is basically what I said

This is why I think 6th and 7th should get spots in Europa not cup winners.

Team could win the cup and get relegated in theory, where as the best performing teams of the season should represent the country in European competitions

Agree, Gomes and Gbamin are neither quite the player we need which is a playmaker and or box to box. And given the length of the injuries and Gbamin needing time to adapt to the league I would be surprised if either can contribute at full strength this season. So adding one midfielder at least is essential.
I imagine we'll look to get a CM on loan.

Although Brighton are quite a poor outfit I was impressed with how they defended yesterday especially putting bodies in front of the ball. Duffy is a big beast and a nasty one with it, I believe all teams need that type of defender but for a more classier defender would Dunk be worth a look at? He’s been premier league for a few years now and I think has had England call ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.