January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

It isn't the best time to do business but if the right player becomes available then you've got to go for him.

The squad needs serious work, almost impossible to fix even in a summer window. A couple of decent additions in January lessens the summer load, and also means them players are fully integrated into the squad and club ahead of the start of next season. They might just be loans with an option to buy but, probably foolishly, I'm confident we'll get one or two in before the end of the month.
We've signed some bad ones in January, like Niasse and Bolasie, so I get where you're coming from. But if there is an opportunity to get a player to improve the first 11 (not just a squad player) I think we should go for it. Currently we are 3 points of 7th and 4 points off 6th. With one or two players we could be in those European places.
It was a bit of a blanket statement and, of course, if a quality player who wants to join us becomes available at the right price and on a sensible wage becomes available we should go for it. However, as @OneTrueLegend says we ended up lumbered with Niasse and Bolasie (and I would add Tosun and Walcott to that list) on long expensive contracts because we just hoovered up what was available (intact didn't gravy jugs say something about Tosun being the best that was available or something to that effect?) and I really don't want us to end up with more sticking plaster type signings.

I like the rumours about us getting a new keeper. Long term, I don’t think Pickford is part of the spine of a winning team; he’s not bad but he’s just not exceptionally good.
Is it a priority? I don’t actually think the defence is the biggest problem at the moment but we need players who have mental strength in big games. And Pickford doesn’t.
Let’s get a commanding, CB,CM and CF then worry about Pickford, imo he’s the least of our problems atm.

Aye. Surely there is another Richarlison type forward out there who could slot in alongside him and score as many as he does...
Problem is, most of the teams in the Prem are looking for this type of player.
You either pay an outlandish amount Ona proven league goalscorer or take a chance on one from outside the league who may not adapt (see Haller)

Coincidentally, DCL’s current goals/game ratio. For this season is heading close towards the 15 mark by the end of the season... just saying ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.