January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but 70M on one guy prohibits are ability to do much else. So while I don’t disagree for paying for that elite player, let’s first get to good all around first. Because we ain’t good at CM, RB, RW, and not sure we are great at CB or GK, either. If we can get the first three this summer with some CB depth, we have done well. Can’t do that spending that much on one player. Yet.
I don't think it matters which order they go in. If the elite player is there we should buy him and figure it out later.

Arsenal, Man Utd and Tottenham out there improving their squads whilst Brands is sitting on his hands.

Having a manager like Ancelotti is wasted on us.

Sat on his hands cause of the leeches Walsh, Koeman and Allardyce (even Martinez) brought to the club who we can't flog. We've got to stick within FFP, his hands are tied.

Also questionable to suggest losing Eriksen and bringing in Bergwijn is an improvement.

Arsenal, Man Utd and Tottenham out there improving their squads whilst Brands is sitting on his hands.

Having a manager like Ancelotti is wasted on us.

they’re out there buying new players. that doesn’t necessarily mean improving the (team certainly, but also) squads. They are visibly seen trying to though, that’s the difference (For me).

Don't want us to sign anyone if I'm honest - a loan or two would be fine, but January signings are usually the ones that clubs want rid of or otherwise you're forced to pay through the nose for. I would expect that given we have only had a new manager for a month or so, it takes longer than that to identify the more suitable targets. Happy to keep our powder dry until the summer. Especially given Gomes and Gbamin could be on the pitch within another month or so. Having said that, the bigger concern for me isn't January, it's what happens in the summer.

We continue to have to operate with one arm tied behind our back because of the dead wood in the squad that either don't want to leave (because of their fat contracts here) or nobody wants anyway. I scan the Brands thread and find myself shaking my head at the posts about how we should be selling players instead of loaning them out - do people really believe we wouldn't do that if it was possible? If we know they're dreadful, so does everyone else.

Martina
Keane
Schneiderlin
Sigurdsson
Walcott
Niasse
Tosun
Bolasie
Sandro

Only two of those are out of contract this summer - we are still 18 months or more away from having a clean slate to work from

I'd settle for £20m for the lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.