January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOu have answered your own question there mate.

Also, he looks very good in the vids imo, a more offensive Gomes.

I would think also that Carlo has asked for him not Brands.

In the short term our main two centre kids are still unfit, both recovering from terrible long term injuries, he is exactly what we need, an experienced, classy centre mid, whose actually fit and ready to play.

YOu have answered your own question there mate.

Also, he looks very good in the vids imo, a more offensive Gomes.

I would think also that Carlo has asked for him not Brands.

I've watched him a lot for work mate – going back two seasons now. He isn't that.

He's a decent water carrier. Gets it and gives it. Doesn't particularly create anything either.

He's not getting a look-in at Inter behind 34-year-old Borja Valero.

He's not awful, he's got quality definitely. But he's not really like Gomes - or has never shown that at all when I've watched him play. Not really a ball carrier at all.

Squad needs a healthy balance. Not sure why people are concerned that we're signing players in their prime - much rather this than another youngster that will take time to come good.

Vecino is very, very highly rated. Inter Milan have a history of making daft signings, in and out of the club, so not bothered about them wanting to flog him. Been linked to Europe's top clubs in the past 1-2 years and looks like he's a good all round centre mid. Major upgrade on what we have.

"Vecino is very very highly rated"

By who :eek: ?

That would be diagraceful.

Also, Vecino – not really what we need in the long-term. Not at all, really.

He's a better Schneidlerin. More mobile and energetic.

Don't really see what he'd add though I suppose if it pushes Delph/Davies down the pecking order then fair enough.

But really can't see it. And if we do spend big money on him, then it's another huge question mark against Brands.

If we sign him permanently then we'll all be asking who to sell him to in the summer.

Waste of money...

Should be signing starters to increase competition...Vecino will be a bench player at best next season.

I'd actually be annoyed with this...reminds me of a Delph / Walcott type deal.

It's much riskier if we get it wrong. The lad could be a great player, I really dont know. I'm just worried about signings like Delph were theyve been a complete disaster and now we're stuck with him for years on massive wages.

We cannot afford more bad recruitment at this point. It has to be fewer players but quality ones only.
Delph was always going to be a disaster though, injury prone and never really been the best of players, it was a very, very odd signing imo.

Dave mate, I get that the points you raise are close to your heart but scrapping BMD? Come on fella.

The argument for it is actually pretty simple - take whatever the cost estimate is and double it, because that's what you're going to spend. See: Spurs, Dallas Cowboys, Los Angeles Rams. Then compare this to the cost of major redevelopment projects like the ones I mentioned (Fenway, Wrigley, Anfield).

Now, ask yourself how long it's going to take for the new stadium to improve the club's finances given the difference in price. These projects do not pay off in a timely fashion. They're vanity projects. They're more common here in the US because we permit teams to threaten to move in order to extort public financing.

Put another way - Levy may be tightfisted, but do you really think he isn't spending to improve a club that was a match away from lifting the European Cup last season because of his nature, or because he can't afford to?

Redevelopment is almost invariably the sane choice, and the venues I listed are as good as anybody's. There's no question that we need to do something, but one option will delay a proper squad rebuild a lot longer than the other.

Dave's just holding up a mirror to what's out there. I actually think he's right about Ferguson; the politics of the situation made it impossible not to keep him on, but forcing the manager to keep an assistant not of his choice rarely works out well.

Don't really see what he'd add though I suppose if it pushes Delph/Davies down the pecking order then fair enough.

But really can't see it. And if we do spend big money on him, then it's another huge question mark against Brands.

...it’s lots to do with whether he’s better than what we have. Players with composure and the ability to keep possession is so important in that area of the pitch, as we’ve found to our detriment for so long. €20m isn’t much in the modern era. Another South American added to the squad.

It's much riskier if we get it wrong. The lad could be a great player, I really dont know. I'm just worried about signings like Delph were theyve been a complete disaster and now we're stuck with him for years on massive wages.

We cannot afford more bad recruitment at this point. It has to be fewer players but quality ones only.

The logic with Delph was there and still is. What wasn't considered is just how injury prone he could be. Buying injury prone issues is its own issue rather than just being over an age. Gareth Barry must be seen as one of our best signings in the past decade and he was old as.

All about the individual rather than the individuals age in my eyes. Yes dont get me wrong, its better to go and get younger players who are hungrier and can sell for more, but occasionaly an older player, with experience and quality but no-resale will be the right way to go.

...it’s lots to do with whether he’s better than what we have. Players with composure and the ability to keep possession is so important in that area of the pitch, as we’ve found to our detriment for so long. €20m isn’t much in the modern era. Another South American added to the squad.

I agree mate but in all honesty I've never really seen him as that type of player.

He's basically James McCarthy with a bit more technical skill but less tenacity if you get me. He'll put himself about, but won't really have a major impact going forward. Better passer but not exactly a string puller.

We desperately need a player who can progress the ball by running with it. From what I've seen over the past two/three seasons, that isn't him at all.

This is why I'd prefer it being a loan. He just seems very similar to gbamin. We need a proper powerhouse in the fernandinho, yaya, dembele, doucoure mould. That's what we're missing and if that has to wait until the summer, who do we then offload? After schneiderlin, we'd need to offload another, is it Davies, or Delph? Can't see us selling either one of them to fit in the powerhouse tbh.

On about Vecino in particular

He is decent, will be an upgrade in presence in the midfield, is he going to be a world beater? No. Will he improve the current squad? Yes.

Not the most spectacular signing, but hopefully an efficient one.

€20m is around £16-17m not that huge an outlay compared to most of our deals of recent years

I've watched him a lot for work mate – going back two seasons now. He isn't that.

He's a decent water carrier. Gets it and gives it. Doesn't particularly create anything either.

He's not getting a look-in at Inter behind 34-year-old Borja Valero.

He's not awful, he's got quality definitely. But he's not really like Gomes - or has never shown that at all when I've watched him play. Not really a ball carrier at all.
i AM LITERALLY GOING BY YOUTUBE VIDS BUT IN ALL OF THEM HE CARRIES THE BALL MORE AND BETTER THAN any OF OUR PLAYERS AT PRESENT.

Stpupid caps lock

Status
Not open for further replies.