FC (5):
Enner Valencia
Romelu Lukaku
Arouna Kone
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Ademola Lookman
Leandro Rodriguez
Oumar Niasse

Dare I suggest we're looking a bit lightweight, especially on the wings and fullbacks.

All of the players in red never played for us anyway though?

Fact of the matter is, we had the best transfer window out of any Premier League club. Obviously *any* transfer window can be 'better' but that's a pointless route of argument to go down because you just end up at not being satisfied unless you've signed the FIFA team of the season.

It was a great window in terms of carrying on the rebuild, January is very difficult to upgrade players in, in the summer we'll likely be 4 places higher in the table than we were last summer and hopefully in Europe and can start to really sell the club to top players in obvious positions.

Right, and we've failed to address it 2 windows in a row which is dave's point.
It wasn't his point, he was cry arseing about the January window, and we were never going to bring in high calibre players to fill all of those positions in the Jan window. Everyone knew the main summer window was disappointing, including the new owner, but we were never going to revamp the squad in Jan ffs.

Not having this whole strawman argument of "Well who should we have gone out and signed then?" where the other person then goes on to come up with a million reasons why we couldn't sign that player so don't start.

Also not having "Well look at what everyone else signed".

We pay a lot of money for a scouting department that is supposed to identify targets we could sign for the team. They couldn't find anyone to bring in to improve the team besides Schneiderlin? They deserve to shoulder some responsibility for the window.

The response to that is usually "like you know better than people employed by the club". Easy retort there: "Niasse".

I just cant abide by the idea that there was NOBODY else out there for us to procure who would have improved the team. There was a bid accepted for Befodil(sp) and then we pulled out because they didn't REALLY rate him. But...that's it. They never went in for anyone else in that vein (or, indeed, at all).

My take on the January window FWIW.

I'm happy with the quality of the 2 incoming players. MS improves the starting XI and Lookman looks to be a great prospect. The fact that he's straight into the squad and prompting such positive comments from the usually dour RK, indicates we may have a talent on our hands there.

Probably the most telling feature of the window was our ruthlessness in offloading players who, either weren't good enough, or didn't buy into RKs plans. In not directly replacing them, he's also shown a most unexpected and, for me, welcome faith in our youth set up, which backs up a recent article in the Dutch press. I believe the majority of fans on here wanted us to get rid of the deadwood, and also give youth more of an opportunity in the first team squads. Well RK has definitely done that.

On the negative side, I believed that we had an outside chance of breaking into the group above us in the league, and possibly even a UCL place as, barring Chelsea, it's all very compact up there. However for this to happen, I think we needed a true playmaker who could help us break down teams who park the bus. We don't have anybody of that ilk in our squad or, indeed, in our youth set up as I don't think Dowell is ready to step up yet. We didn't get one, and it may well be that there wasn't anybody our there available, but I still consider it a missed opportunity as finishing 4/5th would make it easier to attract the better players in the summer.

Overall though, I think most people on here are relatively happy with the window, as am I, and that was evidenced by the virtually complete lack of heads falling off on this transfer thread last night. We were even able to laugh off the unexpected failure of Kone's transfer. Imagine that 6 months ago.:)

We have ended up with a bit of a threadbare squad, but this gives an opportunity for some of the youth players to step up and take their chance. If so, we should learn a bit more about their capabilities so we go into the summer transfer window knowing exactly what we need to bring the squad upto the required level to compete for top 4.

Great summary ;)

Huge credit goes to BK & the board who negotiated some incredible deals to cull the unwanted. Think we may regret Oviedo and Del but the rest ;).
Offloading perma crock Gibbo was near genius.
If we really have £100m then the same board must be judged as utterly incompetent, over 2 full windows, at bringing players in.
This glaring contradiction is easily resolved by assuming we have much less to spend than hyped so must deftly negotiate to find value.

Status
Not open for further replies.