January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wesley looks like the type that I think would help, but I’ve not seen enough of him to know. Goal rate isn’t that awesome in a mediocre league. Still like William Jose.

Gabigol is small, but he still tough, quick, and skilled. Think he would at least do okay in the PL.

Josef Martinez...so tough to say. I cannot understate though how dominant he is in MLS. There aren’t bad athletes in MLS, but the defending is not good and he’s on a loaded team that plays a very attacking game. He isn’t short, but strong, good in the air, and just a complete [Poor language removed] on the pitch. He scored SOME in Torino, but he was younger and it’s just hard to say.

Wesley at £15mil and Gabigol with a loan and buy clause would be the dream really.

If both worked out well then we would have a small outlay of say £30mil for 2 centre forwards with DCL as 3rd choice.

All different types of players.

...Matthew Pennington quoted as saying it’s time he moved on and settled at a club rather than being loaned out. Interesting given he hasn’t long signed a new contract.

I'm not sure what's changed from when he signed the contract for him to have suddenly realise he needs to do this.

Cant see him fetching much...£2mil ?

I suppose it all adds up.

..refreshing attitude from the lad if the quotes are accurate as he could be in a comfort zone on a very lucrative 3 year contract. Apparently a smashing and academically bright lad, I suspect your figure is in the right ballpark.

..refreshing attitude from the lad if the quotes are accurate as he could be in a comfort zone on a very lucrative 3 year contract. Apparently a smashing and academically bright lad, I suspect your figure isin the right ballpark.

Didnt we also get offered £1mil for Williams last season from barnsley? Think the article said we wanted £5mil...

Could possibly see a few players out in jan or summer who have been on the fringes, Connolly, Robinson, Dowell and Holgate may be offloaded.

I do think its a shame Holgate, Dowell, Kenny and DCL havent been loaned out this season due to our squad size etc...really would be good for them to get games from jan onwards either with us or elsewhere.

I cant see how they can improve just from training.

Didnt we also get offered £1mil for Williams last season from barnsley? Think the article said we wanted £5mil...

Could possibly see a few players out in jan or summer who have been on the fringes, Connolly, Robinson, Dowell and Holgate may be offloaded.

I do think its a shame Holgate, Dowell, Kenny and DCL havent been loaned out this season due to our squad size etc...really would be good for them to get games from jan onwards either with us or elsewhere.

Mina and Jags were injured, so thats probably why Holgate wasnt loaned out, can maybe see Jags moving on in Jan, which would leave Holgate as 4th choice, I see no reason he should be loaned out.
Dowell "refused" a loan is the rumour, wanted to try and force his way into the team, fairly sure he will be punted very soon.
Kenny is back up RB, no reason we should loan him out.
And DCL is getting games, IMO hes probably our best Striker, as scary as that is.

Mina and Jags were injured, so thats probably why Holgate wasnt loaned out, can maybe see Jags moving on in Jan, which would leave Holgate as 4th choice, I see no reason he should be loaned out.
Dowell "refused" a loan is the rumour, wanted to try and force his way into the team, fairly sure he will be punted very soon.
Kenny is back up RB, no reason we should loan him out.
And DCL is getting games, IMO hes probably our best Striker, as scary as that is.

Agreed. Just a shame they cant get regular games to improve and develop.

I wonder if we will move jagielka on or keep him and loan holgate for games.

..yep, I recall they were contemplating £1m offer but got short shrift, the indication is Silva quite likes Williams.

I can’t see the point loaning the others you highlight as they are back-up and we need effective back-up.

I think there's a bit of what you said the other day, that it's actually not that easy to improve on what we currently have. I would go as far as to say it's almost impossible to do so unless you have serious cash and a serious pull (we may have 1 of those 2). Ie a City may be able to pull a top draw centre forward in as they have a pull we don't.

This is where you're right to say the bedding in period makes sense. Buying players who will take time to get to know the league. Get that out of the way so we don't have another slow start. A lad like Lozano makes sense to try as he can have 3-4 months to get to know the league. While he is not an immediate improvement on Walcott once he's bedded in you sense he would be and probably like most of the lads who've come in he will make the place his own by March/April. It would probably be well timed for Theo to potentially move on at that point.

The other area I think we may look to do a bit is from unconventional (none European) leagues. Seen a lad from MLS linked, obviously the South American season is done. It's a good time to buy from those areas and think we may look at that.

What I can't see us doing is looking to spend a bundle on Premier League players or even out of the blue names who are with settled European teams who wish to keep them. The talk of lads like Wilson, Zaha etc I just can't see.[/QUOTE
I think there's a bit of what you said the other day, that it's actually not that easy to improve on what we currently have. I would go as far as to say it's almost impossible to do so unless you have serious cash and a serious pull (we may have 1 of those 2). Ie a City may be able to pull a top draw centre forward in as they have a pull we don't.

This is where you're right to say the bedding in period makes sense. Buying players who will take time to get to know the league. Get that out of the way so we don't have another slow start. A lad like Lozano makes sense to try as he can have 3-4 months to get to know the league. While he is not an immediate improvement on Walcott once he's bedded in you sense he would be and probably like most of the lads who've come in he will make the place his own by March/April. It would probably be well timed for Theo to potentially move on at that point.

The other area I think we may look to do a bit is from unconventional (none European) leagues. Seen a lad from MLS linked, obviously the South American season is done. It's a good time to buy from those areas and think we may look at that.

What I can't see us doing is looking to spend a bundle on Premier League players or even out of the blue names who are with settled European teams who wish to keep them. The talk of lads like Wilson, Zaha etc I just can't see.

Actually would still like us to sign Dolberg, had a "second season syndrome* dye in main to a ankle injury and then Ajax selling several important players which altered the types of player around him, but so far this year he's back looking good again, 21 years of age with huge potential upside, @BlueToff seen him much lately?

Scenes when Williams is given a new two-year deal when his contract runs out in the summer.

Actually would still like us to sign Dolberg, had a "second season syndrome* dye in main to a ankle injury and then Ajax selling several important players which altered the types of player around him, but so far this year he's back looking good again, 21 years of age with huge potential upside, @BlueToff seen him much lately?

Doubler would fit the profile of many of our players, which is talented young player who'd fallen away slightly. My concerns about it are two fold really. 1) Is he mobile enough for our system. 2) If Brands really wanted him I would be surprised we hadn't already made enquiries as he'd know all about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.