Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sure we'll sign a few young players in the coming 1-2 summer windows but you need to still bring in players in their prime / experience.

Eriksen is 30 but I would 100% take him on a free as we lack creativity.

Same way I would take 29 year old Tarkowski on a free as with Mina being a perma crock we lack a leader/grock at the back who can defend balls into the box / marshall the back line.
We don't. Buy young players and let them get old and be the experience to guide the new young players.

Here is the breakdown of players who played at least 500 minutes:

u23: Gordon, Mykolenko

24-29: Pickford, Godfrey, Keane, Doucoure, Richarlison, Gray, Holgate, Iwobi, DCL, Kenny, Mina, Gomes

30+: Delph, Coleman, Allan, Townsend, Rondon

It skews toward the old side. To get "balance" you have to prioritize young players.

Yes, but we have the experience in the squad already. Unless you're going to move on Keane, Mina, Holgate and even Godfrey who is now 3 full seasons of PL experience in we have the old head covered.
I take your point regarding Keane/Mina but if you are classing Holgate and Godfrey as “old heads” I think we substantially disagree on definitions - sure they have # games under their belt but I don’t think those two have that much game nous as of yet.

And speaking of the former two I suspect we’ll move at least one of them on, probably Mina given the poor fitness record.

Boss idea.

Sign burnleys first choice centre half and watch him fall over and gift goals for years. Then go back and sign the fella who replaced him and has subsequently got relegated whilst our crap version stayed up.

STOP SIGNING RELEGATED PLAYERS AND MAYBE WE WONT BE GOING BACKWARDS EVERY SEASON
Phil Jagielka says hi ?

We tend to follow the same patterns for our recruitment at any one time. E.g. getting a job lot of Barcelona cast-offs.

We need to mix up where we get players from: young, frees, foreign talent, domestic talent, proven PL, Championship players ready for the step-up etc.

Not saying Tarkowski is the answer, but you shouldn't write someone off just because they have been relegated.

We don't. Buy young players and let them get old and be the experience to guide the new young players.

Here is the breakdown of players who played at least 500 minutes:

u23: Gordon, Mykolenko

24-29: Pickford, Godfrey, Keane, Doucoure, Richarlison, Gray, Holgate, Iwobi, DCL, Kenny, Mina, Gomes

30+: Delph, Coleman, Allan, Townsend, Rondon

It skews toward the old side. To get "balance" you have to prioritize young players.

How many under 23 players are in Man City and Liverpools teams out of curiosity.

Your assertion that anyone over 23 isn't welcome is proper FIFA/PES mentality mate im afraid.

And we signed Patterson and Mykolenko in January whilst selling 28 yr old Digne so we are starting to move in the right direction.

Absolutely nothing wrong with getting an experienced Central defender on a free. Good move at least give the lad a chance

How many under 23 players are in Man City and Liverpools teams out of curiosity.

Your assertion that anyone over 23 isn't welcome is proper FIFA/PES mentality mate im afraid.

And we signed Patterson and Mykolenko in January whilst selling 28 yr old Digne so we are starting to move in the right direction.
It's a bad comparison because we can't buy world class players aged 24 to 29 like they can but I looked anyway and City had only Foden and the RS have Alexander-Arnold, Konate and Jones.

But again City can go buy Grealish for 100m and have him be 3rd choice and the RS can go and buy Diaz to knock Jota into the bench when Jota would be our best player buy a fair distance.

I don't rate Rodgers but I think the best example of how we should try to do things remains Leicester. Maybe that makes the case for Tarkowski as they've gotten good tread out of Evans. However you don't get another one after Tarkowski.

They just signed a young, cracking midfielder from Fulham .....

Status
Not open for further replies.