2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the odds that the bedwetters will be praying he fails?

But eventually fawning all over him.

And saying they thought he was great all along ?
If he does well this year, a possibility I am not discounting, you will get a few who hold their hands up and admit they got it wrong. However there will be lots more who would rather see Everton fail than admit they were wrong on an Internet forum

OK. So what does the manager do when 2 of his 6 senior attacking players are injured and Gordon is the only attacking player available for the bench?. God forbid, what does he do when 3 are injured at the same time.? What does he do when his preferred high intensity pressing game isn't working in certain games? Does he just carry on with the same old same old, or does he try and change it.?

Nobody on here is saying that Benitez will build his team around James. Nobody is saying that James will just fit into the style that Benitez will prefer to play. Most even admit that it probably would have been better or player and club if he was sold during the window, provided he was replaced in the squad.

But he's still here, we have a very thin squad attacking wise, and there are going to be times when his quality will be needed. Mainly off the bench but occasionally from the start when we play teams that park the bus and we won't be as exposed by the defensive risks of playing him.

The player needs to get himself to the same fitness levels he was at last season, which is probably as good as it's going to get, and the manager needs to show he's pragmatic enough to play him when needed. Personally I think both will happen, because they both have too much to lose for it not to.
I think you may be underestimating what a destabilising influence he could be over the next four months, if there is genuine bad blood between them. At a time when he's got nearly the entire squad behind him, James has now driven headlines forgetting Everton's opponents, being pictured on a yacht smoking, and may have missed up to a month of the season for covid breaches. If Benitez knows he doesn't want to pick him, i'm sure he would rather just get him out of the door and save the club a few quid.

listening to pennant critique a managers man management is a joke.

Gerrard was a walking egomaniac/alpha male in the Liverpool set up. He basically wanted Rafael to affirm his status as such and Rafael didn't do it.

Rafael wasnt stupid, if he gave Gerrard the plaudits he wanted then he runs the show. Rafael got what he needed from Gerrard and knew Gerrard would hold players to account.

Rafael was the right manager for Gerrard and Gerrard recognises this now.
Again a decade later. It would seem that the relative success was in spite of Benitez, not because of

My point is that I find it hard to imagine how having a player with such majestic skills as Rodriguez in the team could have a negative impact on any game plan. Quite the opposite, in fact.
I'm only guessing but if Benitez is married to a plan that involves his forward 3 pressing as a unit and acting as the front line of defence then I can clearly see how a player who doesn't do that negatively affects a plan. One player not doing their bit efficiently is 1/3 of that going down the pan and nullifies the efforts of the other forwards as there is always then an easy out.

It's also been demonstrated quite clearly the negative effect he can have on a game plan given how exposed the fullback behind him becomes when playing in what seems to be his preferred position. The opposition creating overloads on the exposed fullback behind him became a common source of problems for Ancelotti's side.

Majestic skills or not that's clearly a negative impact on a game plan. Denying the opposition chances to create chances is a significant part of a game plan.

I think he's a wonderful player on the ball but I can also see quite easily how there wouldn't be a place for him in many systems. And as good as he is there are no teams with genuine silverware credentials sniffing around him. There are major gaps in his overall game and question marks over his physical condition. The best teams as a general rule work hard everywhere on the pitch. Intensity seems to be a common attribute through all the most successful sides of the last few years - especially in the PL whose teams seem to be hitting the latter stages of the CL more consistently than other countries.

Again this is all supposing it's a tactical thing. Benitez has to look at what Rodriguez offers the team and what he takes away and how that works out in pure percentages for his chances of success. It's far removed from the romantic footballing notions of the drifting playmaker splashing touches of genius in and amongst the mundanity but that's what football is.

If we lose Rodriguez and Sigurdsson I am very worried about our creativity and options this season.

The squad just feels so thread bare.

…top Everton sides have historically been based on creativity and goal threat from wide positions. Two defensive midfielders who rarely cross the half-way line is fine as long as the quality is out wide and up front.

I think you may be underestimating what a destabilising influence he could be over the next four months, if there is genuine bad blood between them. At a time when he's got nearly the entire squad behind him, James has now driven headlines forgetting Everton's opponents, being pictured on a yacht smoking, and may have missed up to a month of the season for covid breaches. If Benitez knows he doesn't want to pick him, i'm sure he would rather just get him out of the door and save the club a few quid.
OMG. So you think photos of James vaping is going to destabilise the squad? lol

And why do you automatically assume that James is at fault for breaches of covid restrictions. It looks as though about half a dozen were affected by it so could easily have been something he picked up off one of the other players in training.

If there is bad blood between them they BOTH have to be professional and put it aside for the good of the team. I expect James to work hard in training and to get himself fit enough to be available for matches. I expect Benitez to utilise him within the squad when fit and not revert to some 5 year old gripe he may or may not have with the player.

There is absolutely no evidence, or even a hint of a suggestion, that James is a disruptive influence amongst the group or that he is disliked by the other players. Not a single thing. You, and people like you, are making things up to fit your narrative.

If he does well this year, a possibility I am not discounting, you will get a few who hold their hands up and admit they got it wrong. However there will be lots more who would rather see Everton fail than admit they were wrong on an Internet forum
I’m quite happy to hold my hand up if he gets his head down and works hard, just don’t see that happening ??‍♂️

One of the problems when you become successful is that jealousy and envy inevitably follow. There are people, I categorize them as life’s losers, who get their sense of accomplishment and achievement from trying to stop others. As far as I’m concerned, if they had any real ability they wouldn’t be against James, they’d be doing something constructive themselves.

Last edited:
The manager has already used the players I mentioned and therefore has already chosen to rely on them.
He obviously doesn't agree with you about their worth whereas he has chosen not to involve James so again he seems to disagree with your opinion.

Sigurdsson and Tosun can't be moved on for different reasons.

Every player is a drain on resources but if they are playing and involved in the team then they are contributing.

It is the players not involved are the real drain on resources.... that may not be their fault, if they are fit and ready to play but the manager chooses not to play them then there isn't much they can do.... only move on.
Well that just shows Benitez is carrying on his vendetta from Madrid.

He , nor anyone in football will convince me any of those players are better than James.
Of course his opinion is all that matters , but that doesnt not mean he is right.

If we lose Rodriguez and Sigurdsson I am very worried about our creativity and options this season.

The squad just feels so thread bare.

Over the course of a full season, I'd say that it's a valid concern but James is an infinitely bigger loss than Sig - we have other players who can take set pieces

I could imagine Benitez liking Sigurdsson if I'm honest as despite my dislike of the player, he does put a shift in (even if he's as slow as a tax rebate). With James, you get the stereotypical luxury player - Miles more talented than anyone else in the squad, but incapable of working hard without the ball either through a lack of fitness or through sheer laziness (I tend to believe it's the former). It's no surprise that Benitez won't find a place for that in his team (ask yourself whether Klopp or Guardiola would).

I think Iwobi (stop laughing) will be the one who gets more minutes and shoulders more creative responsibility from all this and we may well look to add more creative quality next summer (but creative quality that can fit into the work ethic that Benitez wants).

Status
Not open for further replies.