Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where has €7m come from? All press reports i've seen have it around €20-30m
Some countries count the all in figure. So wages, transfer and so on. Not unreasonable to say 3 year deal £6m a year and £7m transfer fee. Brings that in at £25m.

We need something to reinvigorate the whole club, and signing a player of James' calibre is exactly the sort of thing that would do that. You can't pass up a signing like this if there's any chance you can make it, he could totally transform our team and actually make us excited about watching Everton again.

When the 'old heads' are Sigurdsson, Delph et al then its clear that we should be focusing on u23s.

Again, when players over that age flatter to deceive (Gomes) or are expensive because they come from competitors (Iwobi/Walcott) or just simply overpriced (Keane) then i wonder why we havent gone for u23 players to build up and grow with the squad.

However, when were discussing Allan and Hamez its a totally different argument.

These two players are clearly amongst the worlds best for ability and performance. Their pedigree is such that, as with Ancelotti, our players will sit up and want to play better so they dont make fools of themselves being on the same pitch.

Our current two best performers are Digne and Richarlison. By signing these two players we should be expanding that to four right off the bat and having four top players should increase the performance and output of players around them.

Im very much behind these two signings.

Richarlison said he wanted to hit 20 goals this season and Ancelotti said he wants to see 30. One moment Richarlison will be elated at the confidence being shown in him...the next wondering how he can achieve that with Gomes/Sigurdsson/Davies/Delph behind him.

With Allan and Hames there then Richarlison has more belief and confidence.

Also lets not forget Kean. A player brought through Juventus' youth team and hitting goals for their first team and at all levels internationally. Drop in these two behind him and finally things start getting exciting.
Agree with all of that mate! ;)

weve got richarlison, Holgate, DCL, Gordon, Branthwaite, Kean all in and around the first team. Not to mention the other lads like Davies and JJK who will be sold for a decent whack and have come through the first team.

plus the likes of digne, Mina, Gomes, Pickford, bernard and Keane who will all being in at least what we paid for them.

We don’t *just* need to buy and develop. We need experience. It’s what we are massively lacking.

the three players mentioned will massively impact the team, will make it easier to sign players and might get us into Europe.

We have plenty of resale value in the squad. You don’t need EVERY player to have resale value. You need depth of experience in a squad.

And we desperately need to start performing and not be less than the sum of our parts. Allan, Doucoure and James will make all around them better. We’ll score more and concede less and be more competitive.
I agree with your conclusion but not really with your working out. I don't think half the players you say we'd get our money back on would be right. I'd be very surprised if we could get our money back on Pickford, Mina or Gomes right now. Obviously things change and if they have good seasons we might get more than we paid, but at this moment in time I don't think anybody would be paying what we did. I also don't agree that we're lacking experience. Basically the average age of the team is generally in the mid 20s because virtually all of the team is in their mid 20s. It's not like we have a load of kids and just one or two older ones bringing the average up, it's just that almost everybody we play regularly is in that bracket of 23-29. There's a huge amount of top flight and international experience in this squad. They might not be very good, but that's a different point entirely.

As I said, I agree with the conclusion that we need a blend of youth and experience, and I don't hate the thought of bringing any of the three you mention in. It's clearly, indisputably, a massive change in emphasis though. Anyone who's saying this was all part of the plan and they can see exactly what the club is doing is kidding themselves though. Brands was very clear about reducing the age of the squad and looking for value. Bringing in Allan, Doucoure and James would be a complete about turn on that. I'm not saying thats necessarily a bad thing, but it is definitely a change in philosophy. That concerns me slightly if i'm honest.

complete about turn on that. I'm not saying thats necessarily a bad thing, but it is definitely a change in philosophy. That concerns me slightly if i'm honest.
This was before Ancelotti turned up though probably in which Brands never ever expected which is why he wanted to go the PSV route of "gem finding" or resale value before Ancelotti waltzed in, With the 3 apparent signings its obvious we want to get the Ancelotti train full steam ahead instead of waiting but I don't think Ancelotti can be dealing with another Kean-ish gamble where it's a coin toss if he settles or not. I'm not a fan of spending pretty good money on 29 year old Allan but yeah I can see why we're doing it it fixes a lot of present problems while we just push the future plans out of the window now and hope these 3 kick us up the table.

Must be at that stage of his career where he just wants to play football now. Him and Ancelotti obviously get on well too.

Would be a superb signing so am not gonna get me hopes up (goes and watches Youtube videos of him)

Status
Not open for further replies.