2022/23 James Garner

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looked really good against Bournemouth, but we're working with a very small sample of matches so far. I like him to be in the mix of 4-5 players in midfield. Give him a chance to seize an opportunity and make it his own,.unlike what Davies has done the last 5 years.

For one, I was never a lamps hater, I wanted him to succeed at the club...
And if you really need evidence, Re-watch this season and the ignorance of ever giving the lad a proper chance no matter how bad we were playing..

Sorry other than that I seem to have lost the Paperwork on proof..
He didn't play under Lampard because he was injured for 5 months.

Honestly, a few are fretting about losing Onana.

This fella is miles ahead. Calm, intelligent, future captain.
Simply not true. One is an 'all action' quality all rounder who i was posting about over 12months ago.

The other is a deep anchor player (Busquets role) with all the tools. Theyre both different types of player who complement one another.

Onana is half the player Garner is.
Bandwagon jumper.
Reminds me of Osman in the way he plays.
Harsh...very harsh.
Garner is the player you construct your midfield around !!!
Id say we dont have that player yet. He and Onana together in their correct roles would be nice to see for once.

The marquee signing would be the attacking midfielder to replace Doucoure. Thats the guy who would form an on pitch triangle with Garner/Onana.
Plenty suggesting they’d be happy to sell Onana. Personally I’d be happy for us to build the team around Garner and Onana
100%.

Simply not true. One is an 'all action' quality all rounder who i was posting about over 12months ago.

The other is a deep anchor player (Busquets role) with all the tools. Theyre both different types of player who complement one another.
Yeah, they complement each other.

I also appreciate it's his first season in the English game so off games are expected.

Garner has been at a minimum 7 out of 10 every game he's played (not often)

Onana has been very up and down. You can clearly see there's a player there but I'm just not sure we can afford to turn down a sizeable offer should one come in. (and he'd definitely want to move up)

Yeah, they complement each other.

I also appreciate it's his first season in the English game so off games are expected.

Garner has been at a minimum 7 out of 10 every game he's played (not often)

Onana has been very up and down. You can clearly see there's a player there but I'm just not sure we can afford to turn down a sizeable offer should one come in. (and he'd definitely want to move up)

I think the key would be that Garner is very noticable in the sense that he's 'all action' while Onana is a typical Anchor wrongly used as a box to box player. Very different role for Belgium

Both Lampard and Dyche have admitted using Onana in a different role to "improve his all round game"...Garner was rarely used by Lampard and being shifted around by Dyche.

I'd hope that playing together in their correct roles next season we'd see alot more from both players. Also with an attacking player in the midfield with them it could open up the whole team to play.

I like Doucoure in terms of end product but a smart manager would bring in a ball player here so the midfield is complete.

When he finally got a chance he really grasped it with two hands, even while being played out of position. Very exciting to see how he develops next season. Tenacious, hard-working and creative, he has huge potential.
To me, he has appeared the most comfortable player we have on the ball: nice touch, always looking to create chances but not jittery like Iwobi.

I think Onana has the higher ceiling of the two players, but, I think Garner is the one who is more important to this current Everton side. I am a great admirer of Onana and I think, injuries apart, he is destined for the champions league in the next couple of seasons. Garner however. I expect to be around at the club for many seasons and with his many attributes he is the type of player we should be aiming to build around. He is a big, quick, aggressive unit with a very good first touch and an eye for a pass. It's a pity we are not just a bit more stable financially, as I think Garner and Onana as a midfield pair would be formidable.

There’s a calmness and maturity to his game that we haven’t had in a midfield player for a number of years, he seeks the ball and actually looks after possession instead of panicking or being unable to pass 5 yards.

Been doing a brilliant job out of position as well - my motm against Bournemouth.

Rewatch his performance in the Brighton game - how he played was key to the win, and I hope he continues to get better for us, with onana.

Last edited:
To me, he has appeared the most comfortable player we have on the ball: nice touch, always looking to create chances but not jittery like Iwobi.
I saw a stat yesterday (and I appreciate he's not played many games) he's only lost posssion THREE times. It was something like once every 277 minutes of play, absolutely miles ahead of everyone else in the league.

He's a very tidy player.

I also get Zats point Onana being played higher up being a bit alien to him but Dyche is also right, he needs to learn the dark arts before he's trusted as a DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.