It was on a Sunny Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleypark

Player Valuation: £1m
We used to have a fairly well known song that went "It was on a Sunny Saturday in the merry month of May that we all went down to Wembley to see the Toffees play" etc"

There's quite a few variations on it, some with a few verses some have slightly different lines but the gist of it the same.

What tune did fans sing this to? Was it one of those dual tune songs we had like the way "Phil Neville Superstar" started life off sung to "Jesus Christ Superstar but soon evolved into Tom Hark?

I know some sung it to the Sash my Father wore and that became the dominant tune but were any variations of it sung to Sean South?

We used to have a fairly well known song that went "It was on a Sunny Saturday in the merry month of May that we all went down to Wembley to see the Toffees play" etc"

There's quite a few variations on it, some with a few verses some have slightly different lines but the gist of it the same.

What tune did fans sing this to? Was it one of those dual tune songs we had like the way "Phil Neville Superstar" started life off sung to "Jesus Christ Superstar but soon evolved into Tom Hark?

I know some sung it to the Sash my Father wore and that became the dominant tune but were any variations of it sung to Sean South?

I vaguely recall the Sean South version.

“It was on a sunny Saturday
in the merry month of May

Me dad went down to Wemberley
to see the Toffes play

There were men from Garston
and from Speke

Hunt’s Cross and Wavertree

And the leader was an Aigburth man
his name was Brian Labone”

I don’t think Brian came from Aigburth but that is a localised South Liverpool version and me made it fit, innit :dance:

Beautiful South rules ;)

I vaguely recall the Sean South version.

“It was on a sunny Saturday
in the merry month of May

Me dad went down to Wemberley
to see the Toffes play

There were men from Garston
and from Speke

Hunt’s Cross and Wavertree

And the leader was an Aigburth man
his name was Brian Labone”

I don’t think Brian came from Aigburth but that is a localised South Liverpool version and me made it fit, innit :dance:

Beautiful South rules ;)

Thank you absolutely wonderful, and that's coming from a North Ender too!

Status
Not open for further replies.