Intimidation - The Missing Ingredient at Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubey

Allardyce Out
Everton currently have the best team in terms of talent seen in a generation and are playing the best football seen at Goodison Park since the 1980s - yet, we´re drawing, not winning.

It´s an intriguing parallel. There´s been some very interesting stats of late, such as the Blues being the most attacking side in Europe in terms of shots and going so long with barely a defeat to speak of.

Yet our recent result reads as a who´s who of abject failure against lesser clubs, combined with combative, creditable performances against the big guns. But what´s common throughout is the final result - by and large, a draw. One point gained or two points lost, it´s a common pattern.

We are seemingly incapable of putting away smaller teams (with respect to sides like Reading; I´m not calling them a "small club", in the fashion of a fat Spanish waiter, but just... "smaller" comparatively, if you get me!). Yes, there´s been a few "dubious" refereeing performances, but whilst we´ve flew forward with style and verve, we haven´t had the substance to break down defences and destroy sides by two or three goals consistently.

We get the plaudits for the performance, but not the results. This is in stark contrast to Manchester City and United, to give just two examples. Both sides have had fairly underwhelming starts to the season, yet they´re leading the way with comfort at the top of the table.

Because the Manchester clubs have something that Everton don´t - aside from money and higher quality players! They have an intimidation factor; a feeling the opposition team and fans have when playing them that they´re never quite finished; the history of United and the financial muscle of City an ever-present factor, even if the opposition is leading going into the last 10 minutes.

It´s not just at the upper end of the scale either. Liverpool, nowadays an upper mid-table club with what is largely agreed to be the most threadbare squad in memory, can still grind out results.

A visit to Anfield for the opposition is an awe inspiring experience. Everywhere they go and look is filled with memories, designed to scare the sh** out of the opposition. The badge in the tunnel is one obvious example, but it starts in the dressing room. The away dressing room at Anfield is liberally decorated with the achievements of the past, right in the face of the visiting team, with more memorabilia on show than the home dressing room.

This is psychological warfare, and it´s something Everton don´t do. You´d think it wouldn´t work, but amazingly it does. No matter how highly paid a professional footballer is, they´re still human, and a visit to an in-form Everton at Goodison Park is still not as frightening a prospect as a visit to an out of sorts Liverpool at Anfield.

On the pitch and in terms of tangible talent, the Everton starting eleven is a match for most teams in the Premier League. However, perhaps the mindset isn´t in the same league.

We need to stop taking a knife to a perceived gunfight; instead, we need to believe we have an even bigger gun - that we can blow away the opposition. That mentality needs to permeate through the club itself first.

To get to the next level, and to truly challenge the Champions League elite, Everton need to ditch the underdog tag, the "plucky little Everton" persona we´ve developed and is regurgitated over and over again by the Sky Sports press pack, and start making Goodison Park a top flight fortress, home to one of the best and most dominating sides in the division, where the opposition feel they´d thank their lucky stars to escape from with a point.

http://www.grandoldteam.com/news/fa...ntimidation-the-missing-ingredient-at-everton

I blame Moyes and his 'Rainbow FC' and class and dignity' nonsense for this, as well Moyes constantly labeling us as the underdog, and referring to relegation battles that took place over 10 years ago.

Joe Royle didn't have the same problem, but Joe installed a 'Dogs of War' mentality into his squad, and not a 'class, dignity, handshakes, bottling and losing' mantra, like Moyes does.

start making Goodison Park a top flight fortress, home to one of the best and most dominating sides in the division, where the opposition feel they´d thank their lucky stars to escape from with a point.

By the 4th December last season we'd lost 4 games at home.

This season?

We've only been beaten at home twice in the whole of 2012.

I'd class that as progress myself, each to their own.

It's true we should be referred to (and promote ourselves in public) as a top club, because, in PL terms, we have the evidence from the past 7 or 8 seasons that underscores that claim. I'm not sure not having that reputation equates easily with intimidation and converting draws into wins though.

We've drawn pure and simply because we haven't been clinical in finishing. 'Smaller' clubs still come back at top three clubs if they're only a goal in arrears. It's nothing peculiar to us that they dont lie down and accept defeat.

We've drawn pure and simply because we haven't been clinical in finishing. 'Smaller' clubs still come back at top three clubs if they're only a goal in arrears. It's nothing peculiar to us that they dont lie down and accept defeat.

Is right.

Sprinkle in a few individual errors & some ****ehawk refereeing decisions into the mix & the reasons for too many draws are plain obvious.

Intimidation only works when your record is virtually unblemished & only the very best sides achieve that in the PL, & they generally have the very best players, paid for with the highest budgets.

The example of Liverpool blows the theory, as they've been ****e at home for virtually the whole of 2012.

I think clubs with that certain aura go one or two goals up and the opposition simply don't believe they have a chance anymore. I don't think that happens with Everton, and if you believe we have a side capable of hitting the top four, then you have to look for the more intangible reasons for why we're faltering.

Look at it this way - West Brom are flying, yet everyone believes they're going to fall away, whilst Liverpool have been woeful yet everyone thinks they'll still finish top eight at the bare minimum. I don't believe the gulf in technical quality between West Brom and Liverpool on paper is that different, so why the different attitudes?

We should all do this.

That'll **** other teams up.

[video=youtube;APMheQP3pgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APMheQP3pgU[/video]

Everton currently have the best team in terms of talent seen in a generation and are playing the best football seen at Goodison Park since the 1980s - yet, we´re drawing, not winning.

It´s an intriguing parallel. There´s been some very interesting stats of late, such as the Blues being the most attacking side in Europe in terms of shots and going so long with barely a defeat to speak of.

Yet our recent result reads as a who´s who of abject failure against lesser clubs, combined with combative, creditable performances against the big guns. But what´s common throughout is the final result - by and large, a draw. One point gained or two points lost, it´s a common pattern.

We are seemingly incapable of putting away smaller teams (with respect to sides like Reading; I´m not calling them a "small club", in the fashion of a fat Spanish waiter, but just... "smaller" comparatively, if you get me!). Yes, there´s been a few "dubious" refereeing performances, but whilst we´ve flew forward with style and verve, we haven´t had the substance to break down defences and destroy sides by two or three goals consistently.

We get the plaudits for the performance, but not the results. This is in stark contrast to Manchester City and United, to give just two examples. Both sides have had fairly underwhelming starts to the season, yet they´re leading the way with comfort at the top of the table.

Because the Manchester clubs have something that Everton don´t - aside from money and higher quality players! They have an intimidation factor; a feeling the opposition team and fans have when playing them that they´re never quite finished; the history of United and the financial muscle of City an ever-present factor, even if the opposition is leading going into the last 10 minutes.

It´s not just at the upper end of the scale either. Liverpool, nowadays an upper mid-table club with what is largely agreed to be the most threadbare squad in memory, can still grind out results.

A visit to Anfield for the opposition is an awe inspiring experience. Everywhere they go and look is filled with memories, designed to scare the sh** out of the opposition. The badge in the tunnel is one obvious example, but it starts in the dressing room. The away dressing room at Anfield is liberally decorated with the achievements of the past, right in the face of the visiting team, with more memorabilia on show than the home dressing room.

This is psychological warfare, and it´s something Everton don´t do. You´d think it wouldn´t work, but amazingly it does. No matter how highly paid a professional footballer is, they´re still human, and a visit to an in-form Everton at Goodison Park is still not as frightening a prospect as a visit to an out of sorts Liverpool at Anfield.

On the pitch and in terms of tangible talent, the Everton starting eleven is a match for most teams in the Premier League. However, perhaps the mindset isn´t in the same league.

We need to stop taking a knife to a perceived gunfight; instead, we need to believe we have an even bigger gun - that we can blow away the opposition. That mentality needs to permeate through the club itself first.

To get to the next level, and to truly challenge the Champions League elite, Everton need to ditch the underdog tag, the "plucky little Everton" persona we´ve developed and is regurgitated over and over again by the Sky Sports press pack, and start making Goodison Park a top flight fortress, home to one of the best and most dominating sides in the division, where the opposition feel they´d thank their lucky stars to escape from with a point.

http://www.grandoldteam.com/news/fa...ntimidation-the-missing-ingredient-at-everton

I'd say that arguably most teams already do come here with this very much at the forefront of their minds. Our current home record speaks for itself, and if it doesn't, you can bet that the shrewder managers will remind their teams not to get complacent.

And whilst we may not indulge in the same oh-so-classy tactic of rubbing our opponentss noses in just how great we are by plastering the away dressing room in prints of our glory days, our fans more than make up for it when they're up for it.

Goodison is renowned as a difficult place to go and get any kind of result. I don't think the underlying sentimental attachment to our underdogs tag is the reason why we're underperforming. It's because we have key players crocked and end up playing their understudies in relatively exotic positions as a result.

I think clubs with that certain aura go one or two goals up and the opposition simply don't believe they have a chance anymore. I don't think that happens with Everton, and if you believe we have a side capable of hitting the top four, then you have to look for the more intangible reasons for why we're faltering.

Look at it this way - West Brom are flying, yet everyone believes they're going to fall away, whilst Liverpool have been woeful yet everyone thinks they'll still finish top eight at the bare minimum. I don't believe the gulf in technical quality between West Brom and Liverpool on paper is that different, so why the different attitudes?

That's because when you look at their team on paper, no one really stands out. Who would you say is their best player? They're getting results because of good management and good teamwork.

History & delusion mate.

The shiite have always been there or thereabouts & have spent accordingly.

WBA are a much smaller club who've never had a sniff & have spent next to nowt in comparison.

Therefore the media assume that WBA will falter based soley on their previous history. Whereas the filth will be seen as a 'threat' to 4th, as soon as they win a couple of games - as the level of expectation amongst the media is based on what they've seen in the past.

Same goes for the fans, the RS are getting giddy because they've beaten the bottom 4 & are within 7 points of 4th & WBA fans are enjoying the ride & waiting for the wheels to fall off.

I'd say that arguably most teams already do come here with this very much at the forefront of their minds. Our current home record speaks for itself, and if it doesn't, you can bet that the shrewder managers will remind their teams not to get complacent.

And whilst we may not indulge in the same oh-so-classy tactic of rubbing our opponentss noses in just how great we are by plastering the away dressing room in prints of our glory days, our fans more than make up for it when they're up for it.

Goodison is renowned as a difficult place to go and get any kind of result. I don't think the underlying sentimental attachment to our underdogs tag is the reason why we're underperforming. It's because we have key players crocked and end up playing their understudies in relatively exotic positions as a result.

I think there's a slight difference between sides knowing they're coming for a difficult game compared to sides coming here knowing they're likely to get beat.

Just found this by typing "Anfield is a hard place to go" in Google.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...n-Giggs-says-Anfield-toughest-place-play.html

You could be playing against an average Liverpool team and it would still be one of the toughest games of the season.

Just four days ago from Ryan Giggs. It's not because Liverpool are a good side, it's because the place itself is psychologically intimidating. The thing is, in the article, he credits the home support as being the difference, but sub-consciously it's the whole experience. Even the crap "You'll Never Walk Alone" rendition, the upside down scarves etc. Whilst to us it's cheesy beyond endurance, the neutrals have grown up watching big games with those scenes and it gets in their head.

Liverpool have by far and away the worst squad I have ever seen in my lifetime, but they're still a handful of points away from us. We finished above them last year, but we're still viewed as the smaller club on Merseyside. It speaks volumes.

Our lack of quality in depth is to blame, ultimately. A team with money has players waiting to come in and replaces misfiring forwards with another of similar quality and put games beyond doubt; we haven't even got a replacement forward apart from a raw Greek kid.

Moyes inherent conservatism doesn't help, of course. Maybe there's some weight to what you're saying in relation to the way here seems to transmits his own anxiety to the players. It's chicken and egg, though: what comes first - his anxiety or the lack of in depth quality?

Psychology is such a huge part in Football. It's no coincidence that Liverpool always beat us, and even why Man City have only beaten us once in 8 or whatever; we dominated the game until we scored, not because we're a better team, but because we had the psychological advantage.

It's a hard thing to change too.

Status
Not open for further replies.