In the Mire 1994/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBlueConk

Player Valuation: £70m
Share your memories. How bad were we? Do we blame the players or manager, or both?

Last game of the season, May 2nd 1994. Everton are bottom 3 and getting relegated, unless the results go their way.
20 mins in and we are 0-2 down. Get one back with a Graham Stuart penalty. Wimbledon miss a sitter to go 3-1 up. Half time saves us.

Barry Horne, BOSH. Then a winner sneaks in with Hans Segers considering an offer from the far east. Allegedly.

At half time that day, the players did something that this current lot do not seem capable of. Not just playing better, but finding the ability to score goals and create good chances in the face of adversity.

The Everton Team:
Southall
Ablett, Unsworth, Watson, Snodin
Limpar, Horne, Ebrell, Stuart
Cottee, Rideout

Subs: Kearton, Angel, Barlow Manager: Mike Walker

Now my consideration is that this Mike Walker team is better than the Koeman legacy.
This '94 team had balance for a start, they knew their jobs. Should never have got to this stage.
The bigger problem was an unpopular manager out of his depth.

If we are in a similar position last game of the season this time around, we might as well familiarise ourselves with the championship. If some of you aren't doing that already.

The current squad does not have the guile and mind-set to seemingly be able to turn this around.
The positive is that there is still time, a transfer window and fresh ideas with a new manager to assist the changing of fortunes.

Not blaming Unsworth for this. Koeman and the string pullers have put us where we are.
Shame on them.

For the younger fans, Everton being in this position must be mind boggling from having high expectation to being in a dog fight in such a short space of time.
To some of the older lads, a bit of deja-vu. Here we go again.

It's horrible isn't it. Frustrates the life out of Evertonians and here we are.

It aint over til its over lads. COYB!

I remember being at the Wimbledon match. Lots of fight (and no doubt lots of brown envelopes being handed out behind closed doors :D ), in what was a real rollercoaster of a game. One of the problems these days, I believe, is how do you get the attention of, and motivate, a bunch of millionaires once things have started to slip? I'm at an age where I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of Everton... but I don't recall ever witnessing this almost apathetic attitude that there appears to be with some of our players.

I remember being at the Wimbledon match. Lots of fight (and no doubt lots of brown envelopes being handed out behind closed doors :D ), in what was a real rollercoaster of a game. One of the problems these days, I believe, is how do you get the attention of, and motivate, a bunch of millionaires once things have started to slip? I'm at an age where I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of Everton... but I don't recall ever witnessing this almost apathetic attitude that there appears to be with some of our players.
One word in your post mate, " Millionaires" says it all.

So part of the problem with the modern footballer is that they go home rich, regardless of the football?
I am sure there will be a bit of that.

My manc mates used to ask me who would win the derby, I used to say the team that fields the most scousers.
Those days are long gone.

Poor managers and players that cba. Bad times are here lads.

Regardless of the rumours at the time in '94, not much the syndicates could have done about Horne's worldy, unless they told him to do that!

Sake lads, I don't think I have ever posted as much as I have since Koeman ruined our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.