If Silva is sacked - who could/should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played in defensive minded teams like with Moyes. Did he not play under Walter Smith at rangers too. The most anti football side I've ever seen.

He takes responsibility largely for the defence at City. Set play organisation is him. City also concede very few goals despite playing the highest line in the country. You might say there's nothing to suggest he can organise a team defensively, but there is equally nothing to suggest he can't either.

It's just as important that the next manager can unite the club and restore an identity of some sort, than being purely tactically astute. That's why someone like Arteta is the way forward. Football management is 80% man management and about mentality these days. The tactical stuff is a collective effort from the huge back room staff they all have. We've tried the flavour of the months. Time to try something outside the box. Someone who would instill the right mentality. And someone that would get time.
But he has never managed... anyone.

You cannot advocate for Arteta if you want Silva sacked that is beyond crazy, We're talking about a person who has never managed a game and the only thing going for him is working under Pep.

Get what you mean. But Pep managed Barca reserves for one season before being thrown the Barca job. He's clearly very highly rated, so much so that even Arsenal were sounding him out before Emery. Wouldn't be surprised if he's being lined up to succeed Pep when he leaves City.

What is it about Arteta that makes people think he can just stroll into the role of Everton manager after only a few years as an assistant and deliver? It's a huge job to take for your first gig in management. I just don't understand why everyone is so certain he's ready. Surely he should cut his teeth elsewhere first, like Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes are all doing?

He's shown nothing to suggest that he'd be a good manager. He's sat on a bench with Guardiola. Just because you share time with a great manager doesn't mean that you yourself are going to automatically be a good manager as well. If you had Carlton Palmer spend a couple of seasons shadowing Pep do you think he'd automatically stop being an atrocious manager all of a sudden? That's not how it works. What has he done or said to evidence the fact that he's actually absorbing this stuff from Pep and isn't just tagging along for the ride by laying out some cones?

If you want Arteta to have a go because you like him due to his days as an Everton player and would like him to manage the club for that reason, then fair enough, but to bullishly act like he's the most qualified candidate out there is bunkum

Get what you mean. But Pep managed Barca reserves for one season before being thrown the Barca job. He's clearly very highly rated, so much so that even Arsenal were sounding him out before Emery. Wouldn't be surprised if he's being lined up to succeed Pep when he leaves City.
Arteta doesn't even have managing the reserves on his CV, Sure he might be highly rated, I don't know what manager Everton needs to sort this circus act out but I find it really unlikely Arteta is the person to do that.

What is it about Arteta that makes people think he can just stroll into the role of Everton manager after only a few years as an assistant and deliver? It's a huge job to take for your first gig in management. I just don't understand why everyone is so certain he's ready. Surely he should cut his teeth elsewhere first, like Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes are all doing?

He's shown nothing to suggest that he'd be a good manager. He's sat on a bench with Guardiola. Just because you share time with a great manager doesn't mean that you yourself are going to automatically be a good manager as well. If you had Carlton Palmer spend a couple of seasons shadowing Pep do you think he'd automatically stop being an atrocious manager all of a sudden? That's not how it works. What has he done or said to evidence the fact that he's actually absorbing this stuff from Pep and isn't just tagging along for the ride by laying out some cones?

If you want Arteta to have a go because you like him due to his days as an Everton player and would like him to manage the club for that reason, then fair enough, but to bullishly act like he's the most qualified candidate out there is bunkum

Neither Gerrard, Lampard or Scholes had experience in the dugout - he's at least been on the bench for a few years and at the training ground on a day-to-day basis. He's very, very highly rated and as I mentioned in previous post was even close to the Arsenal job. You don't get that far on merit alone. Obviously there are more qualified candidates, heck, there are way more qualified candidates for the Man Utd job than Ole and look how that's turning out.

Sometimes need a leap of faith, however, I think we need stability more than anything else which is why i'd personally look toward a more experienced candidate. Particularly one with a likable personality.

Neither Gerrard, Lampard or Scholes had experience in the dugout - he's at least been on the bench for a few years and at the training ground on a day-to-day basis. He's very, very highly rated and as I mentioned in previous post was even close to the Arsenal job. You don't get that far on merit alone. Obviously there are more qualified candidates, heck, there are way more qualified candidates for the Man Utd job than Ole and look how that's turning out.

Sometimes need a leap of faith, however, I think we need stability more than anything else which is why i'd personally look toward a more experienced candidate. Particularly one with a likable personality.

I have no problem with someone classing it as a punt or a leap of faith, because that's what it is

My issue is people acting like he is the undisputed best candidate for the job, and taking shots at those who don't

If you want him to have the job because you believe it's a gamble that will pay off then fine, so long as you accept that is IS a gamble

I have no problem with someone classing it as a punt or a leap of faith, because that's what it is

My issue is people acting like he is the undisputed best candidate for the job, and taking shots at those who don't

If you want him to have the job because you believe it's a gamble that will pay off then fine, so long as you accept that is IS a gamble

Of course it's a punt. That's why it's exciting. We've been down the so called "safe" and tried and tested route before amd look where it's got us. It's time to roll the dice and pick someone who can unite the club. Premier league experience is utterly worthless unless we're talking about someone who is at the very top level of the game. No top level managers are taking our job. That's why we need to go young and hungry, someone who can unite a dysfunctional and divided club and relocate some sort of identity.

I want to see the club try something exciting and outside the box. There is no appointment which is no risk. Unless Guardiola is interested. Which I strongly doubt.

If someone is good enough to be strongly considered by a legitimately massive club like Arsenal, then they are good enough to be strongly considered by us.

That's my logic. I'll find it hard to be persuaded otherwise.

Of course it's a punt. That's why it's exciting. We've been down the so called "safe" and tried and tested route before amd look where it's got us. It's time to roll the dice and pick someone who can unite the club. Premier league experience is utterly worthless unless we're talking about someone who is at the very top level of the game. No top level managers are taking our job. That's why we need to go young and hungry, someone who can unite a dysfunctional and divided club and relocate some sort of identity.

I want to see the club try something exciting and outside the box. There is no appointment which is no risk. Unless Guardiola is interested. Which I strongly doubt.

If people want to have that view then fine, they just shouldn't be tits to those who would like a more experienced manager

That's all I'm saying. Some in here are acting like anyone who doesn't want Arteta is an idiot and he's nailed on to be the best option, which is ridiculous

I'd rather have someone more experienced, either from the lower leagues or abroad, but I can understand why bringing in an ex Everton player would be attractive to some

Based on the one game I watched saturday where they played decent football and held onto a lead, Gattuso.

Also looks like he'd have no problem strangling a player of need be

Status
Not open for further replies.