Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
all our players last season were diabolical under a rubbish manager, I'm sure he can improve. At the very least I will give him a chance. Some real weirdoes on here.

all our players last season were diabolical under a rubbish manager, I'm sure he can improve. At the very least I will give him a chance. Some real weirdoes on here.

If Walsh wants him (and by the looks of it he does) then by all means sign him. All our signings cant be high profile signings ffs x

I think this is a very astute post mate so thanks for it. The art of finding out what you require from a player and finding those that do it best is a unique skill in football. It's funny as when you watched Leicester last season that's what it looked like, a group of lads being asked to do jobs they were familiar with ands comfortable at. The Centre Halves wellied balls away. Drinkwater covered every blade of grass. Vardy ran channels, Albrighton worked the right hand side, Oziaki ran himself into the ground etc.

Without being harsh on Gueye Villa were the opposite of this. Badly managed and run teams often are. Not only that but if the quality in front of him was limited then a player like Gueye or Kante would not stand out. You would probably even here shouts of "doesn't score enough goals, not creative enough" etc etc, Their job is to tackle and pass the ball to better players but if the players they pass to aren't playing well they will be shown up.

As it happens this signing looks like the Walsh affect. I imagine he probably scouted the lad, as he played in the same league as Kante, was signed the same summer as him and is a very similar player. Likewise he also has a lot of similarities to the replacement you have bought. I am not saying he is as good as either but he's in that mould. People wondered what Walsh would bring to us and I imagine there will be a lot of signings/players akin to this lad. Unpolished potential gems. I think the links with him and Arnautovic smack me of Walsh, finding out release clauses and making astute signings.

I don't know if he will be a success but I am willing to forgive his time at Villa as he was pretty well rated at Lille. I suspect Barry will be out the door and McCarthy may well follow him. We could look to bring in 2 or 3 cm players to fill the gap. What I like about this lad is as the fella says above he seems to have a clear defined role of what he is good at. I think that would be a useful addition at a reasonable price.
We still would (and probably will), but Barry will see his contract out, as he's in his last year, unless a lucrative MLS or something like that offer comes in, which I somewhat doubt. And rightfully so - model professional, will be good for the team overall, even if he doesn't play every game. Maybe he wants to be a coach when he retires in a year, maybe he starts that journey with us, who knows?

Agreed with the rest of the post anyway, well put.

I think this is a very astute post mate so thanks for it. The art of finding out what you require from a player and finding those that do it best is a unique skill in football. It's funny as when you watched Leicester last season that's what it looked like, a group of lads being asked to do jobs they were familiar with ands comfortable at. The Centre Halves wellied balls away. Drinkwater covered every blade of grass. Vardy ran channels, Albrighton worked the right hand side, Oziaki ran himself into the ground etc.

Without being harsh on Gueye Villa were the opposite of this. Badly managed and run teams often are. Not only that but if the quality in front of him was limited then a player like Gueye or Kante would not stand out. You would probably even here shouts of "doesn't score enough goals, not creative enough" etc etc, Their job is to tackle and pass the ball to better players but if the players they pass to aren't playing well they will be shown up.

How many goals and assists did Gueye get last season.

I know which player i would choose between the 2.
Also LOL.

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum, even though I have been around for a while. I am actually from Sydney, Australia and I support Leeds (thanks to the Harry Kewell / Mark Viduka days!), but have always had a soft spot for Everton due to Tim Cahill's time at your club. In fact you'll see he is featured in my profile picture, scoring one of the best goals in World Cup history against Netherlands in 2014!

As an avid fantasy football player (I don't play FPL or any of the mainstream ones, I play a private comp with a group of mates which is insane in its level of detail for points accumulation etc), I kept a really close eye on Aston Villa last season, even though they were garbage, because I had a couple of their players in my squad. I reckon I probably watched 15-20 of their matches through the season, and almost every single game Gana was either their best player or 2nd best (behind Ayew).

A lot of comments in the above posts seem to be based on an assumption that purely because he played in the centre of the park for a horrible Villa team, he mustn't be much chop at all .. but I promise you, after watching them so much last season, you could have put Claude Makelele and Toni Kroos in the centre of Villa's midfield last season and they still would have been relegated.

Villa didn't lose games because of Gana, they lost games in spite of him. The defending from the back 4 and from wide was abhorrent. Ashley Westwood, Carlos Sanchez, Jordan Veretout etc may as well have been sitting in the stand, such was their ineptitude in defence (and most of the time with the ball too). Up front, apart from Ayew who was out of form early in the season, good through the middle and then injured + suspended late on, they had absolutely nothing - they were giving games to Agbonlahor, Gestede and Kozak! Dudes who had scored a combined total of 4 goals in the previous 6 EPL seasons or something crazy like that (of course Gestede came from Blackburn in the Championship, so he had never played EPL before that).

Gana's passing isn't the best, but in the games I've watched of Everton neither is McCarthy's, Cleverley's or Besic's. Gareth Barry is probably your best passer in midfield, but he's 35 years old now and on his way out. At the same time, when Gana had to play a pass to guys like Westwood, Gestede, Agbonlahor or Bacuna - guys who either don't know how to make a run or are too slow/immobile to do so - you often found him playing a pass seemingly astray because his teammates had no idea what to do. I would actually say his passing is more than serviceable for a guy who is not asked to be the creator - you don't need him to thread balls like Ozil, De Bruyne or Fabregas ... you need him to recycle possession efficiently and cleanly.

His worst attacking attribute is actually his shooting - he tends to lose composure around the box and lets fly with a wild shot that goes 5m over the crossbar. Again, I would argue a lot of this came down to frustration at the hopelessness of Villa's situation and the absolute lack of class up the pitch.

Defensively, though, he is an absolute machine. Tackles, interceptions, aerial duels (so good for his height), blocked shots, midfield press .. I genuinely think he does a great job with that aspect of his game. Given Everton don't really have anyone other than Besic capable of defending in the middle of the park (a guy who is lucky to string 3 games together before another injury hits), signing someone like Gana just makes sense to me.

As Koeman showed at Southampton, he loves to build his midfield around a guy who he thinks can scrap in the middle and win the ball back. Wanyama was his man at Saints (again a guy whose passing and shooting wasn't great but his defensive work was top shelf - apart from the red cards!) ... perhaps he sees Gana as the man to do that for him at Everton.

Anyway, sorry for the long post ... just thought I'd say hello and chuck my 2 cents into this discussion!

Though saying that, 1.9 is easily the highest rate of losing the ball due to bad touches for any non-forwardish (AMs, Wingers and Strikers) player in the premier league.

Wasn't it the 'Echo' (I know), that put it out there, that he had been promised a contract by RM/club/whoever, it was then up to Koeman and he said he would honour that pledge?

Think the first I heard about his contract extension was on here mate. At the end of the day, and if it was the case, we shouldn't be promising a contract to a player costing us a fortune in medical bills.

It is a shame though, because he is a quality player Gibson, if he could just stay fit...............................................................

If his wages are low and he stays fit, makes the odd tidy appearance from now till January, perhaps a struggling Prem side might offer a fee similar to that received for Naismith. Makes sense rather than release him on a free.

If only he could stay injury free mate, because there is no doubting he is a quality player, and at 28 he should be at his peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.