2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s been great and proved a lot wrong very quickly.

Can we replace him like for like, am going with no.

Can we buy someone who will offer something different but could add more balance to the midfield? Yes.

My choice would be a midfield of Andre Gomes, Fabian Delph and Frank Kessie.

Fair play then. I don't see it but if you rate a Delph Gomes midfield that's fine by me.

I think Delph and Gomes offers us more than Gana and Gomes.

What we lose in defence, we gain in attack.

Gana is a superb player, but hes very limited, Delph offers more, we will concede more, but score more, provided he stays fit.

But our manager has claimed when Gana leaves, he will be replaced not by Delph, believe dat when I see it like.

Im a positive person, I dont think OMG we cant lose Gana, I think we can improve BY selling Gana, I want the boy to live his dreams.

He’s been great and proved a lot wrong very quickly.

Can we replace him like for like, am going with no.

Can we buy someone who will offer something different but could add more balance to the midfield? Yes.

My choice would be a midfield of Andre Gomes, Fabian Delph and Frank Kessie.

But where do you fit Sigurdsson into that side? I think Gueye is integral for Sigurdsson & Gomes to play in midfield.

Gomes could definitely move into a 3 as above but not Sigurdsson. And unless we sign a fool proof striker (not possible), I think Sigurdsson is still going to be extremely important to us next season.

Im going with better.

He does what he does well, but it's not necessarily better for the team. That happens. I don't think we've ever really found a balance for any length of time with him in the side, and I've said before, having a midfield 3 with him and Sigurdsson is just a nightmare that often leaves us badly exposed. It's all about balance. And if we sell him and he has paid for Gomez and Delph, with possibly more left over, then that to me is good business.

But where do you fit Sigurdsson into that side? I think Gueye is integral for Sigurdsson & Gomes to play in midfield.

Gomes could definitely move into a 3 as above but not Sigurdsson. And unless we sign a fool proof striker (not possible), I think Sigurdsson is still going to be extremely important to us next season.

Fair point and you’re probably spot on.

Gana is a superb player, but hes very limited, Delph offers more, we will concede more, but score more, provided he stays fit.

But our manager has claimed when Gana leaves, he will be replaced not by Delph, believe dat when I see it like.

Im a positive person, I dont think OMG we cant lose Gana, I think we can improve BY selling Gana, I want the boy to live his dreams.

I'd imagine we'll have Delph as a fairly safe bet to come in and not be rubbish, then buy another younger, less proven but potentially more talented player to be his actual replacement.

He does what he does well, but it's not necessarily better for the team. That happens. I don't think we've ever really found a balance for any length of time with him in the side, and I've said before, having a midfield 3 with him and Sigurdsson is just a nightmare that often leaves us badly exposed. It's all about balance. And if we sell him and he has paid for Gomez and Delph, with possibly more left over, then that to me is good business.

Most people have spent all season saying the Gana, Gomes and Iceland axis of doom doesnt work.

So lets try something else.

Well the last part I agree with. If the offer is really there he should be allowed to go.

But that midfield trying to shutdown counters is a terrifying thought. The problem is last year Gana did the job of him and Andre. Gomes was good at pressuring and winning the ball back but he struggled when teams broke and that showed massively when Gana was out. Can Delph cover that same way? I doubt it.

We only gain in attack if Delph is allowed to push on. Last year our midfielders weren't really pushing in very much and that to me felt more like the system than them not choosing too. Which is ultimate why I'd really want Gueye to stay. Because he was a key cog in a system that probably needs to be redone without him. So as I said orginally losing him impedes our progress at least initially.

The other thing is Marco claims we will be getting another CM if he goes. And that's great but we are starting to get to the area of huge squad turnover especially if Zouma isn't back and a different CB is signed. All of the changes push us closer to square one like the start of last year.

I'd imagine we'll have Delph as a fairly safe bet to come in and not be rubbish, then buy another younger, less proven but potentially more talented player to be his actual replacement.

I have you spot on Browns.

Cant see us dropping mega dough, little Santi Sosa from somewhere.

Well the last part I agree with. If the offer is really there he should be allowed to go.

But that midfield trying to shutdown counters is a terrifying thought. The problem is last year Gana did the job of him and Andre. Gomes was good at pressuring and winning the ball back but he struggled when teams broke and that showed massively when Gana was out. Can Delph cover that same way? I doubt it.

We only gain in attack if Delph is allowed to push on. Last year our midfielders weren't really pushing in very much and that to me felt more like the system than them not choosing too. Which is ultimate why I'd really want Gueye to stay. Because he was a key cog in a system that probably needs to be redone without him. So as I said orginally losing him impedes our progress at least initially.

The other thing is Marco claims we will be getting another CM if he goes. And that's great but we are starting to get to the area of huge squad turnover especially if Zouma isn't back and a different CB is signed. All of the changes push us closer to square one like the start of last year.

Ive accepted that we are going to have a high player turnover.

Things should settle down after this season.

Brands has his way of doing things, we have already got rid of 11 players, granted none of them will be missed and we are likely to sell another 10 or so, again, not many, Gana apart will be missed.

Maybe im doing that thing when people claim players are rubbish when they leave, but again, Gana is a superb player, I just dont think he will be missed as much as others think, hes central to how we play, but so was Walcott at 1 point, so was Jack Rodwell, you adapt, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Lets see how this 1 turns out.

Hello, it's 2045 and you haven't replaced me since I left so I've come back for all you moaners complaining about the gap left between the midfield and defence.

_20190717_233838.JPG

If we keep Gana with Delph in the squad we more options in formations and playing style and resting players at in busy periods, same goes for Morgan, we still need a squad of players to rotate , particularly in the winter months, siggys form and riches form dropped off due to fatigue I believe and so did Gomes so if we manage the squad better in this period I think we could challenge up the table this coming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.