2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
are we all in agreement that he's probably leaving :(
I think that PSG’s bid in January was based on them thinking they could get him easily and relatively cheap for the Champions League. I think (and hope) they will probably move onto younger targets this summer. I also don’t think any of the top 6 in the Premier League will want him for what he will cost given his age.

I’m probably being naive but that is my take on it.

The lad's a one off in terms of his anticipation and the speed of his interceptions and closing down. Added to all that he has now taken to carrying the ball past the opposition, showing great control and calmness in doing so. The one player in the squad I would deem irreplaceable.

His improvement on the ball has actually made me change my mind on selling him. I think he's raised his game to a level where we'd be mad to let him go. We're not going to get anywhere near as good a player for the money.

His improvement on the ball has actually made me change my mind on selling him. I think he's raised his game to a level where we'd be mad to let him go. We're not going to get anywhere near as good a player for the money.
I love this take. He's exactly the same on the ball as he has been his whole career. It's just unreal to me the mythology around this guy. And selling him for 30M would be just stupid.

always liked Idrissa...but i fear our ambitions (or rather our ability), suggest he'll want to move to a better club (football-wise)

Deserves to go if we get a greater than 30 million offer and he wants to go. Good pro and I hope he stays but he is knocking on and it might be the last chance he gets to play at CL level. Add to the fact we might never get that kind of return and it works for both parties.

If we sell him we are completely screwed in midfield unless we find a similar replacement. He is so crucial to the way we operate without the ball.

Deserves to go if we get a greater than 30 million offer and he wants to go. Good pro and I hope he stays but he is knocking on and it might be the last chance he gets to play at CL level. Add to the fact we might never get that kind of return and it works for both parties.
Thinking the same, He's hitting 30 this year and probably wants 1 crack in a team in European Football before he goes, Wouldn't surprise me if PSG have kept whispering him sweet nothings in his ear all year.

PSG wanted him because they thought he would be cheap. He might not be worth 25 million to PSG but to us he worth more because it would be expensive to replace him.

Everyone agrees Gana's game hugely improved in the second half of the season. He said something about 'knowing these types of club are watching me is good' or something. So it makes me wonder to what extent his form was due to his own motivation (with an eye for a summer move) versus Silva putting him in a more forward-thinking role. If it's mainly the former, and his hope that a club like PSG comes in for him doesn't materialise, there is a risk that we don't get the same performances from Gana at the start of next season.

The contract situation is potentially helpful. Say he runs that down and leaves next summer, we have him performing well for another year with his eye on attracting a good Bosman deal. We take that time to find the ideal replacement rather than doing it this summer when other issues are more pressing. If next season goes well, he might even end up staying again after that.

Thinking the same, He's hitting 30 this year and probably wants 1 crack in a team in European Football before he goes, Wouldn't surprise me if PSG have kept whispering him sweet nothings in his ear all year.
I'm fairly confident that he will be off this summer and I wouldn't begrudge him a move as he's been a consummate professional.

Everyone agrees Gana's game hugely improved in the second half of the season. He said something about 'knowing these types of club are watching me is good' or something. So it makes me wonder to what extent his form was due to his own motivation (with an eye for a summer move) versus Silva putting him in a more forward-thinking role. If it's mainly the former, and his hope that a club like PSG comes in for him doesn't materialise, there is a risk that we don't get the same performances from Gana at the start of next season.

The contract situation is potentially helpful. Say he runs that down and leaves next summer, we have him performing well for another year with his eye on attracting a good Bosman deal. We take that time to find the ideal replacement rather than doing it this summer when other issues are more pressing. If next season goes well, he might even end up staying again after that.

Isnt his contract to 2022 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.