2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it fascinating that GOT at large is so fascinated with selling our best players for a profit and assumes we can just sign the next best thing for cheaper although if they were really good enough for us other teams playing in Europe would be in for them as well.

Does my head in

Gana is a player we need to continue to get better and move up the table. We shouldn't be looking to sell him, unless he wants to go and we get a huge fee for him. And we especially shouldn't sell him if we finish 7th this season and have Europa action next season.

Not sure i agree with this, i think we need to be pragmatic. I think Gana is good in a certain role, his form can go up and down for me, ive seen him be poor for half a season and good for the other half. Hes good when hes good and a decent pressing shield, but ultimately hes a limited player. He is coming to the age where the regression monster comes into play especially with players who rely on their engine.

Truthfully, the only way to break the glass ceiling of the CL spots, is sometimes selling your best players and that a hard truth we have to accept. You have to get in big fees and reinvest, similar to what Spurs did until they competed at that level. You need to future proof positions buying low, young players as assets and developing them.

Im very open minded about Idrissa leaving, i look at it as a pragmatic decision with the cards stacked in our favor guiding the decision. If Utd come in and offer 35 mill, id take it providing we have the confidence in the replacement lined up, that would be the key criteria for me. Right fee and right player to be added.

Playing his part in the resurgence of last month. The whole team are playing well and doing their jobs and looking like a half decent team.

Not sure i agree with this, i think we need to be pragmatic. I think Gana is good in a certain role, his form can go up and down for me, ive seen him be poor for half a season and good for the other half. Hes good when hes good and a decent pressing shield, but ultimately hes a limited player. He is coming to the age where the regression monster comes into play especially with players who rely on their engine.

Truthfully, the only way to break the glass ceiling of the CL spots, is sometimes selling your best players and that a hard truth we have to accept. You have to get in big fees and reinvest, similar to what Spurs did until they competed at that level. You need to future proof positions buying low, young players as assets and developing them.

Im very open minded about Idrissa leaving, i look at it as a pragmatic decision with the cards stacked in our favor guiding the decision. If Utd come in and offer 35 mill, id take it providing we have the confidence in the replacement lined up, that would be the key criteria for me. Right fee and right player to be added.

So you’d sell our best DM to a team that is occupying one of the positions that we are aiming to fill? Therefore making them stronger and us weaker?

Makes perfect sense.

Why on earth would we consider taking only 30M for Gana from a team in the same league that has more money than virtually every other team?

We need more than one DM - if Gana leaves, Sangare won't be enough, will need two.
I agree, Utd paid £60 million for Fred who's not in the same league, hence why they want Gana to replace him, as for his age, I envisage him having at least 5 good years of top level football.

So you’d sell our best DM to a team that is occupying one of the positions that we are aiming to fill? Therefore making them stronger and us weaker?

Makes perfect sense.

He said "providing we have the confidence in the replacement lined up". Replacing a 30 year old with a younger version would suit our model and make good sense. Manure currently sit 6th. We are aiming higher than that mate.

He said "providing we have the confidence in the replacement lined up". Replacing a 30 year old with a younger version would suit our model and make good sense. Manure currently sit 6th. We are aiming higher than that mate.

It is still replacing our best DM with an unknown, replacing someone that is a key part (maybe even the most key part) to how he play and replacing him with a younger version. It's like people believe that you can just sell a player and immediately replace him with a player of the same, or better standard; and it's all done easily.

There is zero percent chance of this happening.

I'd much rather see out his contract than sell him for peanuts. We didn't buy him to sell him. We bought him b/c he was a player we needed and we got him on the cheap

I think you are being a bit naive here really mate, no personal offense intended.
I just think it's odd that so many think Gana isn't good enough for us and has such glaring weaknesses that we need to sell him for a profit and buy younger, better and cheaper, yet United is going to plop 35 million on a 30 year old that plays in the same position as Matic who is the same age.

Who's being naive here, mate

I just think it's odd that so many think Gana isn't good enough for us and has such glaring weaknesses that we need to sell him for a profit and buy younger, better and cheaper, yet United is going to plop 35 million on a 30 year old that plays in the same position as Matic who is the same age.

Who's being naive here, mate

I think its a broader equation, Idrissa is a good player but hes far from being world class in my opinion. I think hes a one dimensional player and at his very best hes good at that dimension. Lets be honest though, we have been poor enough and have had trouble conceding goals since hes been with us, personally i think he has peaks and troughs with form, when hes on it hes great, when hes off it he can be powder puff. Lets not fool ourselves into thinking hes some world class gem we have uncovered. He was part of the team that capitulated a 2-0 nil lead to Newcastle less then a month ago in the final stages of the game, you want your midfielders to manage that game, especially senior ones. Hes a good player, not a great one and even in my life span ive seen many superior multi dimensional midfielders play for Everton.

Regardless of my opinion, there is a pragmatism that needs to be adopted. We have seen the difficulty in recruiting and keeping players in their late 20's. Our wage bill is indicative of that. What we have decided as a club is to move to a younger model of investing and developing players. We also know that regression with players who rely on stamina, athleticism and mobility regresses in their early 30's, the age Idrissa will be moving into. Yes he might provide a similar service for a couple of years, but it is a position we will have to look at in the short term anyway. So if a club offers you a 300% - 400% profit on your outlay a couple of years early and you have a more then apt replacement you have a faith in to come. There is a tipping point there where it becomes a better decision to sell then keep. If he was 22 - 24 i would think a bit differently, but then a transfer fee would be higher as well.

You are advocating loyalty and that is were i think you are being naive, you are saying things like we didnt buy him to sell him, that wildly naive. Footballers are investments and no one has loyalty in football, if hes rubbish we will want him binned, if it suits the club we will sell him in a heart beat if the deal is good enough. he himself agitated for a move in January and could be going for round 2 in the summer.

Im very open minded about it, if its the right fee and we have the right player to replace him, it could very well be a no brainer, but those would be my criteria. im pretty comfortable about it knowing we hold all the cards. Better midfielders then Idrissa have left Everton and we have progressed.

So saying there is zero% of selling him based on all of the above is just wildly naive. I think the point you are making is you really want to keep him, im sure because you like him as a player. But like i said its s broader equation.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.