2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't actually seen the stat but the obvious answer is that our formation and style of play is not set up for our central midfielders to create chances in the same way that a lot of teams are. We play 4 attacking players and ask our full backs to get forward in support, our midfielders are mostly used to move the ball from the defence on to the wide players, not to create chances. There's no obvious correlation between the 2 things you're talking about.
So we need 2 defensive midfielders then, to play the system you’re talking about. Gomes is not a defensive midfielder, yes he drop off and gets the ball of the centre backs but it’s not his natural game.

And I would say Gana is not a natural number 6 who protects the back 4. Hrs not disciplined enough and goes walk about.

So to play the system you think we are playing, we may as well sell Gana, don’t buy Gomes. And buy 2 out and out defensive midfielders.

So we need 2 defensive midfielders then, to play the system you’re talking about. Gomes is not a defensive midfielder, yes he drop off and gets the ball of the centre backs but it’s not his natural game.

And I would say Gana is not a natural number 6 who protects the back 4. Hrs not disciplined enough and goes walk about.

So to play the system you think we are playing, we may as well sell Gana, don’t buy Gomes. And buy 2 out and out defensive midfielders.
The system I think we're playing? You disagree then, and believe the majority of our attacks are supposed to come through the central midfield?

I don't disagree with your ideas about our future midfield, but that has very little (well, nothing actually) to do with the point at hand.

@Papa Shango
Well that’s a huge problem for this team moving forward, if Gana has the ball more than anyone else.
I’ve said for a while, Gana would be great in a moyes team, even a koeman team.

But i believe silva wants to dominate possession. And he’s talked about the importance of a number 6 who will split the centre backs, get the ball of Pickford and start our attacks. That player has to be technically brilliant to play that system. You can’t do it with someone who gives the ball straight to the opposition 3 or 4 times a game under no pressure, which Gana does.

So what do you make of the stat going round a couple of weeks ago. That Gana & Gomes are the worst midfield pairing in the league for creating chances.
I don’t know how legit that stat is I haven’t looked myself. But I would imagine they are pretty much down towards the bottom of the table, as they both don’t create much
When you have Siggy specifically in the game to create the chances/goals (and very little else in terms of possession) and Calvert Lewin in front of you (a very raw striker), I assume that plays a big part in any struggles they may have. Our front two often struggle to keep the play alive. It’s a very disjointed attack that only works when the opponent is off guard.

i believe silva wants to dominate possession. And he’s talked about the importance of a number 6 who will split the centre backs, get the ball of Pickford and start our attacks. That player has to be technically brilliant to play that system.
The last technically brilliant defensive midfielder signed to the EPL is Fabinho, and he cost Liverpool 55m. Add some inflation for another year, and the fact Everton aren't a top 2 club fighting for trophies, and they'd need to probably find 70-75m for the same player. Will they ever spend this on a player?

Liverpool also spent 80m on a number 8 who can't get into their team because almost a whole season in he still hasn't adjusted to the Premiership. They also spent 75m on a centre half and 50m or so on a goalkeeper. They ultimately got huge bargains for their front 3, all of whom would be worth over 100m in today's market.

Despite all that, they still probably won't win the league, probably won't win the Champions League.

And that's the issue. If Everton want to be at that top level, you are talking literally hundreds of millions that need to be poured into the squad, and also one of the best talent scouts in the world who can uncover the next superstar and sign them for good value.

I think this is why I get so confused around the Gueye argument... Because as an outsider I see no rational argument for why Everton will suddenly spend 250m on 3 players in one window, and do that two or three windows in a row, to have a first XI capable of challenging the top teams. And if they aren't doing that, it follows that there is no logical argument for selling one of the best players in the team to buy someone younger for 20-30m who, for that money, will almost certainly not be better than Gueye unless you've unearthed the next Makelele when nobody else saw it.

The last technically brilliant defensive midfielder signed to the EPL is Fabinho, and he cost Liverpool 55m. Add some inflation for another year, and the fact Everton aren't a top 2 club fighting for trophies, and they'd need to probably find 70-75m for the same player. Will they ever spend this on a player?

Liverpool also spent 80m on a number 8 who can't get into their team because almost a whole season in he still hasn't adjusted to the Premiership. They also spent 75m on a centre half and 50m or so on a goalkeeper. They ultimately got huge bargains for their front 3, all of whom would be worth over 100m in today's market.

Despite all that, they still probably won't win the league, probably won't win the Champions League.

And that's the issue. If Everton want to be at that top level, you are talking literally hundreds of millions that need to be poured into the squad, and also one of the best talent scouts in the world who can uncover the next superstar and sign them for good value.

I think this is why I get so confused around the Gueye argument... Because as an outsider I see no rational argument for why Everton will suddenly spend 250m on 3 players in one window, and do that two or three windows in a row, to have a first XI capable of challenging the top teams. And if they aren't doing that, it follows that there is no logical argument for selling one of the best players in the team to buy someone younger for 20-30m who, for that money, will almost certainly not be better than Gueye unless you've unearthed the next Makelele when nobody else saw it.
First of all Fabinho isn’t world class in my eyes, and was very poor fir Monaco last season, and he’s that brilliant he’s hardly played a game for Brazil in that position by the age of 25.

We could easily buy better and for cheaper, that’s up to Brands to find them. Same goes fir keita, looks nowhere near a 60mil pound player, but who knows how good he will turn out.

Ok so Gueye at 30m is poor, Fabinho at 55m is poor, but Brands will find a better and younger player than both of them for cheaper.

I see.

Ok so Gueye at 30m is poor, Fabinho at 55m is poor, but Brands will find a better and younger player than both of them for cheaper.

I see.
I didn’t say gana was poor, I just don’t think he’s as good as some do here. And is 30 come August and personally I would sell if a very good offer came. As for Fabinho I couldn’t care less and if you think he’s lived up to his 50mil price tag then you must be a closet red.

@Papa Shango
Well that’s a huge problem for this team moving forward, if Gana has the ball more than anyone else.
I’ve said for a while, Gana would be great in a moyes team, even a koeman team.

But i believe silva wants to dominate possession. And he’s talked about the importance of a number 6 who will split the centre backs, get the ball of Pickford and start our attacks. That player has to be technically brilliant to play that system. You can’t do it with someone who gives the ball straight to the opposition 3 or 4 times a game under no pressure, which Gana does.
I dont Silva cares that much about possession. He’s traditionally a counter attacking medium block type of manager. The Greek press made jokes about them kicking it back to the other opponents on purpose just os they could set up for the counter.

He also didn’t have a true 6 at Watford and often played with twin CM/DMs behind a deeper playmaker/distributor, so he can play without a William Carvalho type. But I do agree he’d play with one more often if we had a good one. Based on his quotes when he was hired, think he saw Schneiderlin as that player, but think he realized pretty quickly that he’s not good enough.

Thiago Mendes.
Sandro Tonali.

He's been our best player, alongside Digne, this season.

He has his weaknesses. But he's also excellent at what he's good at.

The strong points outweigh the negatives.

When/if he goes we'll have to play an entirely different system as if not we'll be torn to shreds (see most of the times we've played without Gana this season or when we've pushed him further up looking to press everyone forward in a mad panic as evidence).

That's not necessarily a bad thing, and maybe the team will be a bit better in a different system, but it's something people need to realise. Also, fed up of the old 'he can't pass' crap. It's nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.