2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we were crying out for in that Newcastle game - Schneiderlin on to sure up for the midfield. At least Silva shown that he's learned from the mistake I suppose.

Agreed, the Newcastle game was a bit difference in the sense we had a lot of possession and were attacking, we were caught on the counter and a couple of thier goals were a bit fortunate. but broadly id agree with you.

What i like and dont like dependiing on the result, is Silva will a loss for a win, maybe its part of his pathway to develop as a young coach to be less black and white and develop a bit of pragmatism or game management.

I doubt they want pickford or keane mate so whats your point?
My point is
This supposedly world class defensive midfielder folds under pressure like the rest of the team.
Real top class players get you through games like that, but we constantly collapse and Gana is a defensive part of the team.

And we could/should have been 2 or 3 down inside 20mins yesterday, so let’s not make out the team was fantastic for 90mins.

My point is
This supposedly world class defensive midfielder folds under pressure like the rest of the team.
Real top class players get you through games like that, but we constantly collapse and Gana is a defensive part of the team.

And we could/should have been 2 or 3 down inside 20mins yesterday, so let’s not make out the team was fantastic for 90mins.

Pickford doesn't make them mistakes vs Newcastle we don't lose that game. What in this earth has that got to do with gana? He can't make pickford do better can he

Either way if your wanting a class midfielder whos main job is to sit there and win the ball back their aren't many better than gana. Would be perfect for psg as all he has to do is win it back and pass it on to others to create at Everton he's expected to do more in the ball because we don't have world class players all over to do the creative parts like psg

Pickford doesn't make them mistakes vs Newcastle we don't lose that game. What in this earth has that got to do with gana? He can't make pickford do better can he

Either way if your wanting a class midfielder whos main job is to sit there and win the ball back their aren't many better than gana. Would be perfect for psg as all he has to do is win it back and pass it on to others to create at Everton he's expected to do more in the ball because we don't have world class players all over to do the creative parts like psg
Ahh yes but you're forgetting that's Gueye's fault, it is only by binning him and signing the perfect blend of Salah, Messi, Yaya Toure and Kante that Everton can properly go forwards, because that player will turn every other player on the park into the world class superstar they really are, but for Gueye's faults.

We need to keep him in the summer to progress

Keep a ball winner who cant pass to progress?

Gana's fitness seems like one of his best attributes to me, and at 30, I think he still has 2-3 seasons of being able to perform to the level he can now with the amount of running he does. His game relies on his energy so when that does deteriorate rapidly he will struggle because his quality on the ball lets him down.

If PSG don't come back in for him at an acceptable price, i'd try and keep him here for at least the next 2 seasons as I think he could play a key part in us progressing. One of the only top players we have and the team should be improved around him.

Why would you keep a saleable asset for 2 seasons and build around him short term?

Makes no sense.

Why would you keep a saleable asset for 2 seasons and build around him short term?

Makes no sense.

All players are saleable assets.

This one happens to be one of our best players and at present, I don't see how we will replace him with anyone better, especially given the poor season we are having. In 2 years time if we have improved the side elsewhere, then we may be a more attractive proposition for other good defensive centre midfielders who are younger to want to join us.

We sold Lukaku and didn't replace him with anyone better and look where that's got us. Gomes isn't even our player either so we would have to spend big on 2 centre midfielders when there are other positions that need strengthening. We run the risk of weakening the central midfield if we don't find an equally good replacement for Gana.

think the belief that he can’t pass is an absolute myth by the way, very solid passer of the ball

It's ridiculous to be honest. It's a good marker for me to to see if people are talking nonsense or not.

Gueye is a perfectly fine passer of the ball and does offer something going forward contrary to the beliefs of some.

He can out a crap pass in at times but so can everyone.

It's ridiculous to be honest. It's a good marker for me to to see if people are talking nonsense or not.

Gueye is a perfectly fine passer of the ball and does offer something going forward contrary to the beliefs of some.

He can out a crap pass in at times but so can everyone.
So what do you make of the stat going round a couple of weeks ago. That Gana & Gomes are the worst midfield pairing in the league for creating chances.
I don’t know how legit that stat is I haven’t looked myself. But I would imagine they are pretty much down towards the bottom of the table, as they both don’t create much

So what do you make of the stat going round a couple of weeks ago. That Gana & Gomes are the worst midfield pairing in the league for creating chances.
I don’t know how legit that stat is I haven’t looked myself. But I would imagine they are pretty much down towards the bottom of the table, as they both don’t create much

It doesn't have much relevance to the claim that Gana is terrible at passing. His passing can be terrible at times, but it's over exaggerated by those who either choose to ignore his major qualities, or simply can't see them as they prefer players who are outstanding on the ball.

Gana is in the side primarily to win the ball back, make interceptions, blocks, clearances and play 5-10 yard passes to more attack minded team mates. He is one of the best in the league for doing it. It's fair to criticise his passing on occasions and the fact he can play some terrible passes is probably why he plays for us and not a top 4 side. But the vast majority of his passes are actually simple ones that go to his team mates, and a lot of them are actually forward passes too, which his detractors seem to genuinely lie about.

You could take any player, focus on a weakness and then make them out to be an average or poor player. A few examples in our squad:

Bernard - poor record of goals and assists yet is supposed to be a creative midfielder
Calvert Lewin - misses quite a lot of chances
Coleman and Baines (even at their peak) - allow crosses to come in from out wide resulting in chances or goals for the opposition.

I hadn't actually seen the stat but the obvious answer is that our formation and style of play is not set up for our central midfielders to create chances in the same way that a lot of teams are. We play 4 attacking players and ask our full backs to get forward in support, our midfielders are mostly used to move the ball from the defence on to the wide players, not to create chances. There's no obvious correlation between the 2 things you're talking about.

I don't do stats in football. They are nonsense.

There is a difference in what you are saying and what I am saying though. Gueye may not provide loads of chances or whatever (which usually would mean getting the last touch before we get a shot off which shows how nonsensical stats are in football) but he will be involved in loads of the build up play as he is the player who sees most of the ball (by a mile) in our team.

To rely on him to be provided intricate pin point through balls around the box would be madness, but he offers something going forward purely by making himself so space to be available for a pass something he is brilliant at. It's not only about who put the final ball in.

Status
Not open for further replies.