Match Thread Huddersfield Town v Everton, Carabao Cup - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

One of only 2 cups we have a realistic chance of winning if we have good fortune so I'd like to see us go for it, a trophy will do wonders for the fanbase especially everyone who has never seen us lift one.
Do we have a realistic chance? City, United and Chelsea have won the last 8 and I'd argue Chelsea especially are deeper than they've ever been. They and City can rotate an entire XI and have a better team available than almost anyone in Europe.

Ey up fellow toffees from sunny Huddersfield! Looking forward to welcoming you all to my hometown (and place of work) the John Smith's Stadium tomorrow night. Excited to be in the Away End for the first time as well - I had to sit with the locals and my dad when we played each other in the Premier League.

If you're looking for a boozer for a pre-match pint, I'd recommend Magic Rock Tap on Willow Lane, about halfway between the Train Station and the Stadium if you're Real Ale inclined, the Head of Steam, King's Head or Parish Pub. Not sure on the restrictions around it, but the nearest pubs are Yorkshire Rose (a bit of a Sizzler/Chain Pub type) or the Gas Club (but I'm not sure if it's members only now) - Turnbridge WMC is also an option.

NSNO
You could have said Mallinsons tap room was closed :( anyway, nice pint of Psychokinesis in Magic Rock:pint2:

Screenshot_20210824_172722.jpg

Do we have a realistic chance? City, United and Chelsea have won the last 8 and I'd argue Chelsea especially are deeper than they've ever been. They and City can rotate an entire XI and have a better team available than almost anyone in Europe.
By realistic, I mean it's not beyond the realms of possibility like winning the league is, so in that context yes it's realistic but that comes with caveats, we'll need favourable draws and a bit of good fortune but it's a winnable competition. It is such a shame that even this cup has got to the point of elite domination as well.

The game in this country is heading the same as the rest of Europe, where only select teams can win anything, the competitiveness is what used to separate this league from the rest but the Premier League era money has just created an elite few who dominate everything so yeah in that context it probably isn't that realistic.

May as well give up now then eh? Need to be near full strength imo. Get the job done and bring on subs after. None of this playing a reserve side please.

By realistic, I mean it's not beyond the realms of possibility like winning the league is, so in that context yes it's realistic but that comes with caveats, we'll need favourable draws and a bit of good fortune but it's a winnable competition. It is such a shame that even this cup has got to the point of elite domination as well.

The game in this country is heading the same as the rest of Europe, where only select teams can win anything, the competitiveness is what used to separate this league from the rest but the Premier League era money has just created an elite few who dominate everything so yeah in that context it probably isn't that realistic.
It's already there.

Once you start talking about draws and fortune it stops being winnable, imo. We need to get better at football and that means tonight players like Nkounkou, Branthwaite and Gordon need to play. If we lose, we lose. The short term thinking of going for the League Cup every year and aiming for Europe in the league needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.