Howard Kendall

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we didn't.

We got a manager who transformed the club from one who regarded a 7th placed finish as "magnificent" to one where a 6th was only regarded as OK.

He took the squad he inherited
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002–03_Everton_F.C._season#First-team_squad

and left us with the current squad, all for a net spend off naff all.

If you honestly don't see that Moyes did a decent job for Everton then you are just not being reasonable.

What other club did better on similar money in his time in charge?
Which manager did better in the league on a similar budget?

The answer to both of those is that there isn't one.

First of all I don't understand where you're coming from with this "a manager who transformed the club from one who regarded a 7th placed finish as "magnificent" to one where a 6th was only regarded as OK."? Hasn't Moyes done exactly the opposite with the whole 'plucky little Everton' line he's been peddling in the media for the last decade? And even continues to do so whilst not at Man U and chasing our players?

Second that squad Moyes inherited was not all that bad. It was just poorly managed by Smith. We can argue its merits all day long but it certainly should never have been a team with any fears of relegation.

There is also this misunderstanding about Moyes' spending. He inherited Rooney and spent the cash. His spending in the first 5/6 years was actually not inconsiderable. Once he got into being established it was certainly a sell to buy approach but by that time he had overhauled the entire club and the squad.

Look at Wenger for what can be achieved on a negative net spend.

Moyes did a decent job as manager but a great job as a chief scout.

This reminds we when Kendall was Everton manager and he'd welcome a retired Bill Shankly popping into the training ground on a regular basis. Once Shankly retired, he wasn't welcome at the RS training ground because they didn't want his presence to undermine his replacement, Paisley. Speaks volumes.

We could just concentrate on how boss it is that our actual manager is bringing in these old blues.

Arsed what the old guy did.

They can't be unconnected. How can you congratulate our current manager in diverging from his predecessor without recognising the difference means something?

The thing to bear in mind (I'm sure you know anyway) is that that Everton side of Kendall's in the 80s came in against the best Liverpool team of all time and smashed them off their perch - twice. We loosened the bolts on their wagon and broke their dominance of English football, and they never recovered fully from it. He took us to European glory that would have been built on if you know who hadn't run amok. For a manager to come in off the back of Gordon Lee and achieve that puts him right up there as one of the greatest English managers of all time. The feller doesn't get anything like the recognition he should, so it's a bit much when even Evertonians (not you) are using rubbish stats like: 'he hardly beat the RS in the Derby at their place' as a serious discussion point regarding his talents. Howard is quite simply a colossus in Everton's history. Dean and Kendall are our two greatest individuals. To attempt to measure him in any way shape or form to that underachieving ball bag Moyes is pitifully wide of the mark.

Nailed it in one!

The thing to bear in mind (I'm sure you know anyway) is that that Everton side of Kendall's in the 80s came in against the best Liverpool team of all time and smashed them off their perch - twice. We loosened the bolts on their wagon and broke their dominance of English football, and they never recovered fully from it. He took us to European glory that would have been built on if you know who hadn't run amok. For a manager to come in off the back of Gordon Lee and achieve that puts him right up there as one of the greatest English managers of all time. The feller doesn't get anything like the recognition he should, so it's a bit much when even Evertonians (not you) are using rubbish stats like: 'he hardly beat the RS in the Derby at their place' as a serious discussion point regarding his talents. Howard is quite simply a colossus in Everton's history. Dean and Kendall are our two greatest individuals. To attempt to measure him in any way shape or form to that underachieving ball bag Moyes is pitifully wide of the mark.
without doubt 1 of the best posts ive read on here ,dean and kendall end of

Kendall was a great man for the club. However, the way he spoke of Gary Speed in his death always irked me a bit. I always feel that lad got a lot of unnecessary stick, in no small part due to Kendall.
But great manager in the 80's, should have never come back really. Looking forward to the book.

Very well put Davek.

I think that one of the points that escapes people is that when Kendall took over the club was in extreme financial difficulty.
Kendall put together a magnificent team on what was basically a shoestring budget.
David Moyes for various reason has had the opportunity to spend large amounts of money on various players during his tenure.

When you consider where Kendall got some of his players from like Sharp,Sheedy,Reid it really was astonishing.

*stands and applauds.

nailed it

I was once asked, at the end of a job interview, who would you most like to meet. I said Howard Kendall. The interviewer looked confused( which goes along with a previous post that he never got enough recognition) and asked why? "During my teenage years he gave me pride" i replied and left it at that. I'm always proud to be an evertonian but he took it to another level. Beating Europes best with guile, skill, determination and fight. Moyes is not fit to lace his boots. End of.

Great post.

I was once asked, at the end of a job interview, who would you most like to meet. I said Howard Kendall. The interviewer looked confused( which goes along with a previous post that he never got enough recognition) and asked why? "During my teenage years he gave me pride" i replied and left it at that. I'm always proud to be an evertonian but he took it to another level. Beating Europes best with guile, skill, determination and fight. Moyes is not fit to lace his boots. End of.

Maybe he knew this and didn't want any contact with him, the irony is he wont be able to treat Fergie like this and that will piss him off over the next two seasons.

I remember a couple of years ago saying that i thought Moyes was a cancer in our club, some said i was harsh but i truely believed he was destroying the club from the inside. yes our league positions were ok and everything seemed fine but something always niggled me about him. the best way to describe it is i felt suffocated like things were very wrong from the youth teams upwards. i don't know what it was but i am glad its over.

Status
Not open for further replies.