Howard Kendall interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good article but once more I find myself saddened that a legendary Evertonian, following in the wake of Neville a few months ago, implies that Heysel was just about the state of the stadium ergo rampaging Kopites were not the cause of the catastrophe but merely football fans who had "a great trip ruined by watching people die" as the plaque over at The Pit likes to put it.

Yeah, like Peter Robinson is going to say Kopite's culpa when he can point the finger at UEFA.

Speaking of Heysel, I wonder will the event be marked at PL grounds in any way.

This is the 30th anniversary and I haven't heard of any TV documentaries up and coming.

Though if there are, I am sure the revisionist version will the tale that is told....the one where a crumbling stadium caused it and the anti English lobby in UEFA gleefully used it to ban our asses from Europe.

You see here's the thing.

That ban knocked the stuffing out of our club and stopped us dead in our tracks just at long last we were proper contenders again.

Younger fans wondering what happened to the giant football club they hear us arl arses going on about and how it went from Howard's class of '85 to the wilderness they have known can look to Heysel as the starting point of the fall from grace.

And all because that horrible shower over the Park started a riot.

No riot, no crumbling walls.......simple as.

Still bitter about it?

You fecking betcha.

takes the p*ss our best ever team wasn't allowed to go and try and be the best in Europe...through no fault of our own. The premier league era started 5 years after this, had we still been a top team in 1992 how things could be so different now

takes the p*ss our best ever team wasn't allowed to go and try and be the best in Europe...through no fault of our own. The premier league era started 5 years after this, had we still been a top team in 1992 how things could be so different now
IFS and buts , and pots , and pans we might have also afforded the Kings dock stadia if we had not been banned- BAH!

A good article but once more I find myself saddened that a legendary Evertonian, following in the wake of Neville a few months ago, implies that Heysel was just about the state of the stadium ergo rampaging Kopites were not the cause of the catastrophe but merely football fans who had "a great trip ruined by watching people die" as the plaque over at The Pit likes to put it.

Yeah, like Peter Robinson is going to say Kopite's culpa when he can point the finger at UEFA.

Speaking of Heysel, I wonder will the event be marked at PL grounds in any way.

This is the 30th anniversary and I haven't heard of any TV documentaries up and coming.

Though if there are, I am sure the revisionist version will the tale that is told....the one where a crumbling stadium caused it and the anti English lobby in UEFA gleefully used it to ban our asses from Europe.

You see here's the thing.

That ban knocked the stuffing out of our club and stopped us dead in our tracks just at long last we were proper contenders again.

Younger fans wondering what happened to the giant football club they hear us arl arses going on about and how it went from Howard's class of '85 to the wilderness they have known can look to Heysel as the starting point of the fall from grace.

And all because that horrible shower over the Park started a riot.

No riot, no crumbling walls.......simple as.

Still bitter about it?

You fecking betcha.
tbf mate the stadium was an absolute house of horrors. Quite how that stadium got the green light to host a major final is beyond me. There was grass growing inbetween the crumbling concrete and fans gaining access to the stadium through holes in the wall. Not defending the kopite scum in any way shape or form but lets stick to the facts. The kopites caused havoc but the stadium was in no state to host any game, let alone a major final.

We'll never know I guess. I cant hep thinking we'll never have a team to compete with the cream of Europe ever again...to be honest we would struggle with the cream of the premier league let alone Europe

tbf mate the stadium was an absolute house of horrors. Quite how that stadium got the green light to host a major final is beyond me. There was grass growing inbetween the crumbling concrete and fans gaining access to the stadium through holes in the wall. Not defending the kopite scum in any way shape or form but lets stick to the facts. The kopites caused havoc but the stadium was in no state to host any game, let alone a major final.

Irrespective of the stadium, blue, there would have been no problem if those buggers hadn't kicked off.

We'll never know I guess. I cant hep thinking we'll never have a team to compete with the cream of Europe ever again...to be honest we would struggle with the cream of the premier league let alone Europe

Oddly enough coping with the cream of the premier league isn't as big a problem for us as coping with the lesser lights :(

I always find anything HK says or writes incredibly interesting.

That piece highlights one vital thing that the armchair manager lacks compared to the real manager...an indepth knowledge of the players. Not alone as footballers , but as characters and as men. The word balance used by HK may not sound important but maybe the difference between a successful manager and a manager that can't make the grade. Catterick had that ability to balance his team even though he stayed aloof from them, HK had that ability as well by managing them in a different way(at a substantial cost to his liver).
HK was given time to build his team. If he were manager today in similar circumstances the knives would be out for him on the forum and others besides.
This article reminds me of the patience needed to give a manager time to build his team and RM must be given the same opportunity. Managers at Everton need more time now because putting together the team they want takes longer because of financial constraints. RM is still a young manager and is still playing a team largely signed by David Moyes.

In this, if nothing else Bill Kenwright has proven to be a good chairman. He has taken both Moyes and Martinez to Everton as young managers and backed his own judgement by giving them the opportunity to manage with his full support.

IFS and buts , and pots , and pans we might have also afforded the Kings dock stadia if we had not been banned- BAH!

This is a good point. Whilst the Heysel ban was a blow to us, we must remember that we were not the ONLY club to miss out during the years of the ban. Arsenal missed out and it doesn't seem to have damaged them for nearly 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.