How valuable are pre-season games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
As a means of judging talent I mean. We've seen McAleny join the illustrious ranks of players like Jose Baxter and John Paul Kissock who performed well during pre-season games to get our hopes up that they are the real deal, before failing to push on into the first team.

Are pre-season games a good way to judge talent?

No, they're a great way to get a sub-par youth player to score a goal and get hyped up to be the next big thing, with fans screaming for him to be started in every game.

As a means of judging talent I mean. We've seen McAleny join the illustrious ranks of players like Jose Baxter and John Paul Kissock who performed well during pre-season games to get our hopes up that they are the real deal, before failing to push on into the first team.

Not really.

But they are vital for fitness and there's no harm in Lukaku getting confidence from scoring a few goals either.

meaningless as long as fitness wise they are good for the team.

Tactically managers do their bits outside of games so the nitty gritty how to beat the other team stuff isnt really put into practice until the season starts anyway.

Plus as for youth, all youth get chances at the biginning whilst the seniors are integrated back after their holidays. Its when one youth goes out his way and really shines in their role does it matter.

They are the be all and end all. We should win every single game 15-0 and stamp our authority on other clubs at every opportunity. Failure to do so is tantamount to child molestation and the players should be shot, as you would a lame horse, as they leave the field.

Or at least that's the impression I got reading the match threads.

To be fair, McAleny has done more with his career to date than Baxter and Kissock.

The only thing they're good for is seeing how fit the players are. Last season I thought our players were painfully unfit and it showed when the season started. This season they look much better.

Would agree with the other post bit harsh putting mcaleney in the same bracket as Baxter and Kissock, he's always looked sharp in pre season games like you say but I don't think he's disappointed too much when he's been given chances in the league, he had a couple of good chances when he came on against arsenal, think he will take a chance if he gets one this season.

They serve a purpose, fitness, training, experimentation wise but they are meaningless outside that
Only the Manager and his staff who know what their criteria for success would know if the Games are successful or not

the are no real indicator of anything useful from a fans point of view.

I don't think Anyone cares About them because everywhere I Look on social media pictures are saying, "you're a fool Who thinks pre season matters"

Status
Not open for further replies.