How fickle are our fans ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't get this Marcel Brands thing. Am I missing something here? I'll be honest - I'd never heard of the guy until he signed on with us as DoF. I see nothing in his resume that suggests he is going to make everything fall into place. I am also pretty astounded that he now has a place on the board - six months after his arrival. What's that all about? It seems pretty self-serving to me. We haven't shifted any of the deadwood out, and if I'm being totally honest, most of the new signings have been pretty underwhelming.
You didn't think getting all those loans sorted on deadline day impressive? Give him time, he's only been here five minutes.

What's just as tedious is people throwing out all context in order to suit their opinion. Just as you're doing now.

The football we played early on in the season is better than anything conjured up under Allardyce. That's why Silva has earned some good will. It's been said many times by various people. You're just not paying attention because you disagree.
We certainly were playing decent stuff in the first half of the year. The way Silva has lost control is very concerning and highlights some of the issues that have been lingering in the club for quite a while.

Your a Silva advocate like @davek and will say anything to defend him, even tho deep down you know he is utterly rubbish.

These players we have are mostly internationals and have proved their worth all round the world, there's plenty of good managers out there who would have them a) defending 100 times better and b) have us within striking distance of the top 6
Its fans like you who have blind faith in silva that are the problem here

Your just desperate not to look foolish for advocating him in the first place.

lol none of that is true...thanks for the morning giggle though ;)

the defending is a disgrace sinple errors players switching off every week from set pieces, then the amount of errors players are making the conceding goals

Fickle is the wrong word. Jaded and perplexed are how I'd describe us right now. Our club is a bag of turd and the fans aren't happy, they're not supposed to be happy.

I don't want to see Silva sacked, yet, because I don't see what the positives are to doing so. His replacement would almost certainly be Unsworth or Ferguson because what self-respecting manager would take over a team in the pits mid-season where if they go on a losing run themselves before summer they put themselves under immediate pressure. I don't have any great faith in Silva, managers who can't defend set-pieces tend to have short life expectancy. But where the hell do we go if we punt him? It looks like the purse strings will be tighter for the foreseeable as well, which may mean we as fans need to reassess who we could actually attract if we did shoot Silva out of a cannon.

We need a full mentality reversal at this club. We need to stop rescuing players off the benches of bigger clubs like Schneiderlin and Walcott. All of their motivation is dead because they know their careers at the top level are over. They are toxic signings. Our recruitment needs to be much, much smarter. Younger, hungrier players on performance based contracts has to be the way forward (a lesson, unfortunately, shown by our detestable neighbours).

So, imagine, we're going into the last game of a season; we're 3rd 4, points off the top, no chance of winning the title but mathematically sure of ending 3rd; the top two, on equal points, are the RS and, say, City but City have a massively superior goal difference that is not possible of being overcome; our last fixture is against City. Now, the RS have gone into a 3 goal lead early in their game and essentially are certain to pick up their 3 pts. So, you'd still want us to win!!!!?

Nice hypothetical but thats not the scenario on Wednesday
But I'll play ball, I care about Everton only so I'd want an Everton win

I think these players need to understand that we don't earn millions of pounds, lads and lasses work damn hard to go and 'support' their teams. The least they can do before becoming shrinking violets is realise this and show some passion. If they showed passion, half of this nonsense would disappear. They'd have more backing from the terraces. Said it before, we can't relate to our players anymore, it is no longer a working class game. Sympathy for millionaires is in short supply.

I think these players need to understand that we don't earn millions of pounds, lads and lasses work damn hard to go and 'support' their teams. The least they can do before becoming shrinking violets is realise this and show some passion. If they showed passion, half of this nonsense would disappear. They'd have more backing from the terraces. Said it before, we can't relate to our players anymore, it is no longer a working class game. Sympathy for millionaires is in short supply.
Totally agree with you mate, I don't think it'sFickle to want the best for the team you support,what you've spent good money for the privilege of doing and often taken time off work to do so. But to most of the players, it's a very well paid job for them, whether they are here or any other prem team and bet you theyll go warm weather training after our game on Saturday to somewhere like Dubai, so getting rewarded to a nice break for a season of utter failure once again:rant:

Fickle is the wrong word. Jaded and perplexed are how I'd describe us right now. Our club is a bag of turd and the fans aren't happy, they're not supposed to be happy.

I don't want to see Silva sacked, yet, because I don't see what the positives are to doing so. His replacement would almost certainly be Unsworth or Ferguson because what self-respecting manager would take over a team in the pits mid-season where if they go on a losing run themselves before summer they put themselves under immediate pressure. I don't have any great faith in Silva, managers who can't defend set-pieces tend to have short life expectancy. But where the hell do we go if we punt him? It looks like the purse strings will be tighter for the foreseeable as well, which may mean we as fans need to reassess who we could actually attract if we did shoot Silva out of a cannon.

We need a full mentality reversal at this club. We need to stop rescuing players off the benches of bigger clubs like Schneiderlin and Walcott. All of their motivation is dead because they know their careers at the top level are over. They are toxic signings. Our recruitment needs to be much, much smarter. Younger, hungrier players on performance based contracts has to be the way forward (a lesson, unfortunately, shown by our detestable neighbours).
This is absolutely spot on - captured my thoughts perfectly

You didn't think getting all those loans sorted on deadline day impressive? Give him time, he's only been here five minutes.

I'm not saying he won't sort it out. I am just puzzled as to why a lot of people are so sure that he will. We haven't got any better than we were this time last year. The players and Silva are taking the flak for that - and rightly so. Why is Brands not being blamed? He is part of it.

I'm in the 'sack them until they prove they're worthy' category now. Big about-turn for me.

We have foolish owners that are only too willing to waste their money on huge contracts for mediocre players and managers, so as far as I'm concerned, they can keep doing it until they get someone up to the job. I never wanted Silva here in the first place. He had previously done nothing to warrant our interest, and is proving that game after game. No point in persisting with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.