How do players respond to mental pressure during the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
Some Belgian researchers have looked at how (Everton) footballers respond to mental pressure during the season - https://nieuws.kuleuven.be/en/conte...otball-players-perform-under-immense-pressure

fc671d5d-1518-4e6e-9f1b-431c69a31b00.png

So we have won games, drawn games and lost games in each of their 'pressure' categories :confused:
What is this supposed to prove? Am I missing something here?

We could have easily lost many of those games had it not been for crap finishing from other teams regardless of how much pressure on our players.

Low pressure we were crap.
High pressure we were crap.

You don't think the mental side of sport is important?
im sure its very important … but only to receptive people..

my old man for instance doesn't believe in anyone having mental illness... he just believe's the sufferer is mentally weak.

he doesn't believe a sports pyscologist would be able to improve his game whatsoever either.. so im quite sure hed see all this as guff.

I on the other hand are very interested in studies like this

You don't think the mental side of sport is important?

Yes, but I don't think that study does it well. It doesn't take into account actual footballing talent, for example, of either the individual player or the team overall - and the opposition. The parameters seem very subjective and arbitrary.

Therefore the outcomes are effectively useless IMO.

Yes, but I don't think that study does it well. It doesn't take into account actual footballing talent, for example, of either the individual player or the team overall - and the opposition. The parameters seem very subjective and arbitrary.

Therefore the outcomes are effectively useless IMO.

Be honest now, you came to that conclusion having read the press release rather than the full study, right?

The crap people get paid for doing...
Indeed.
So a team of 'researchers' have concluded that some players perform better than others when under pressure?
The same applies to all walks of life surely, whether it's plumbers, builders, nurses or whoever. Don't need research to show that.
Also, any good coach could tell you which players thrive on pressure and which crumble.
Balderdash!

Indeed.
So a team of 'researchers' have concluded that some players perform better than others when under pressure?
The same applies to all walks of life surely, whether it's plumbers, builders, nurses or whoever. Don't need research to show that.
Also, any good coach could tell you which players thrive on pressure and which crumble.
Balderdash!

@BigBlueNose , I think we've found your dad ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.