Here we go again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rook

Player Valuation: £80m

Wenger targets £12m Arteta to fill Fábregas gap

from the guardian.co.uk

Arsenal's pursuit of a creative midfielder to reignite their title challenge has prompted Arsène Wenger to target the Everton playmaker Mikel Arteta, with the Frenchman prepared to break with tradition and spend a considerable fee on a more experienced player during the transfer window.
Wenger has seen his side slip out of contention at the top of the Premier League — they trail Liverpool by 10 points — and battling with Aston Villa to retain a place in the Champions League positions. The loss of Cesc Fábregas to medial-ligament damage has further reduced his options, with the club having seen a clutch of midfielders — Mathieu Flamini, Gilberto Silva, Lassana Diarra and Alexandr Hleb — leave in the past 12 months.
Add the persistent injury problems which have sidelined Tomas Rosicky and Wenger admitted at the weekend that he is seeking "a creative midfielder, and eventually another midfielder, because we are short". Andrei Arshavin, who has made no secret of his desire to move to the Premier League or Serie A, remains a target, though Wenger has been impressed with Arteta's influence and invention and may test Everton's resolve to retain the former Paris St-Germain and Rangers player.
Everton paid Real Sociedad some £2m for Arteta after he impressed during a six-month loan spell at Goodison in 2005 and he quickly established himself. He signed an improved five-year contract at the club in the summer of 2007 and, having undergone surgery on a stomach problem which had hampered him towards the end of last season, he is returning to his best. Everton have risen to sixth, with Arteta scoring two in Sunday's 3–0 win over Sunderland.
Moyes and his chairman, Bill Kenwright, have stressed that they will be dismissive of interest in their players in the transfer window. "None of our players is for sale," said Kenwright this week in the wake of potential interest from Manchester City in Arteta and Joleon Lescott. Yet Arsenal could test that resolve and would be prepared to pay up to £12m for an experienced creative midfielder who will improve their squad and, potentially, be able to work effectively alongside his compatriot Fábregas when the Spaniard returns to full fitness.
Any successful move for Arteta would probably require the midfielder to agitate for a transfer — he has consistently indicated he is content on Merseyside in recent times — but the lure of Champions League football and, consequently, a higher profile with which finally to claim international recognition, having featured earlier for the Under-21s, would be enticing. The 26-year-old is in the highest bracket of earners at Goodison, though Arsenal would improve his wages and, ultimately, he may end up a more viable option for Wenger to pursue than Arshavin.
The Russian is hugely talented and available, though his club, Zenit St Petersburg, are understood to be seeking a fee of around £20m for a 27-year-old who has no experience of English football. Arsenal would be reluctant to match that valuation. There has been interest expressed in Arshavin from Italian clubs, including Udinese, as well as a possible suitor in Spain, and he is expected to move next month, though he would be cup-tied in the Champions League having featured for Zenit in the competition this season.
Arteta has played in the Uefa Cup for Everton but would be eligible should Arsenal prise him from Goodison Park. Wenger, who has also lost Theo Walcott to a long-term injury, is seeking "someone who can create a little spark" and, beyond a creative player, would ideally like to add further to his midfield options, potentially with another loan arrival. Yet he is also intent on ensuring that the development of younger players such as Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere is not stunted by the arrival of too many older heads.

12M???? Bah! That ass has more money than god at Arse and is only bidding 12M?? Citeh would pay twice that. I want 20M....and Ramsey.

I hope not, he's in the form of his life. I've never seen him so good and he's come to life in his natural position. He's also so important to us, without him we are very one dimensional and it would be very hard to replace him.

I could see Arsenal being interested, he's there type of player. He's also versatile and could fill in every midfield position, something Wenger seems to like.

It'll cost more than 12 million, more like 18-20 million. It's all down to Mikel though, if he wants to go then where [Poor language removed]. I hope this doesn't turn into a Gareth Barry type saga, it wouldn't be good for the club, Arteta or the fans.

He's at least worth as much as Barry (who's older as well) and Xabi Alonso. Which thanks to Arse being cheap and giving the [Poor language removed] an offer that they can refuse, Xabi is still on the [Poor language removed], is arguably their best player this season and Arse is 5th.

F%^& Wenger.

I hope not, he's in the form of his life. I've never seen him so good and he's come to life in his natural position. He's also so important to us, without him we are very one dimensional and it would be very hard to replace him.

I could see Arsenal being interested, he's there type of player. He's also versatile and could fill in every midfield position, something Wenger seems to like.

It'll cost more than 12 million, more like 18-20 million. It's all down to Mikel though, if he wants to go then where [Poor language removed]. I hope this doesn't turn into a Gareth Barry type saga, it wouldn't be good for the club, Arteta or the fans.

If he went to Moyes and said he wanted to go, Moyes would hopefully come back with "only for 25M". He's on a 5 year contract, he won't go anywhere unless Moyes wants to sell.

I've said it before....One outstanding game, someone rumoured to buy him. Happens every season.

Selling Arteta would be the biggest mistake the club could make. Whats the points in selling our most creative player and buying a striker (as rumoured) who wont be able to score because no one will be setting him up? And blowing £12mill on someone like Love isnt going to happen. Half that money will disappear into the clubs kitty and Moyes will have about £6mill to spend - so he'd be relativley back to square one.

And no club hardly splashes the cash in January being that clubs are half way through their seasons so selling big players important to clubs rarely happens. It might be an exception this year with Citeh on the horizon but it never happens.

And the price is very low. If we can sell AJ for £13mill, the linch-pin of the squad is going to be upwards of £20mill.

Then he's got to think...there's a chance Arsenal might not be in the Champs League this season. Arteta will always be second fiddle to Fabregas and 2nd choice over Walcott on the wing, so if he wants to be a bench warmer that's his loss.

Getting rid of Arteta in January with the troubles we've had this season, the thin squad, and the fact we're in the race for a European place again, is just a massive mistake.

I am a very passive fellow....

But Arteta goes after that quote he'll get a meaty slap by a spiked gaunlet from me.

Kenwright's comments made no real sense yesterday: what he said and the timing of it just looked like another 'we're playing well, I'll milk the situation' effort. Looked at again in this light, it could have been saying: 'it wasn't me guv, no way I sanctioned this sale - as I said, we didn't need to sell'.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Anyone can twist any quote to their own advantage,

Crack on Kids.

You really are starting to bore me.

BK = Saviour of EFC

BK's Bank account = The Demise of EFC

Not [Poor language removed] rocket science.

Love ya all, but the fools can go blow.

wenger can go feck himself, i see this being the "barry of the winter". no respect from the peeping frenchman, just hey i want your player to run my midfield, i class my team as one of the best in europe yet the guy i want to be the puppeteer i will be happy to pay what hull,bolton wigan pay for their star men.

go [Poor language removed] off wenger, get your eyeball to some other keyhole, or maybe to your own arsehole so you can look out at the rest of the world as you are cleary up it to the lower colon.

Kenwright's comments made no real sense yesterday: what he said and the timing of it just looked like another 'we're playing well, I'll milk the situation' effort. Looked at again in this light, it could have been saying: 'it wasn't me guv, no way I sanctioned this sale - as I said, we didn't need to sell'.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Its a sad, sad day when i agree with Davey boy. And today is the day.

Its been said Arshavin gives him a boner but he won't pay 20M for him and is also offering in the neighborhood of 12M. 20M isn't an unreasonable price for him and Arse has more money than god.

Maybe these weak attempts at buying is just Wenger's way of saying "look I tried to buy players but oh look what happened, we were rejected by unreasonable demands" so that he could keep playing his children.

No wonder Flamini jumped ship his wage demands weren't even excessive, he makes 55K/week at Milan, which is no where near what players like Lucas Niel makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.