Have we finally given up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrb85

Player Valuation: £35m
Without casting judgement on whether it is for better or worse, have we finally lost the Everton Football Club of the last couple of decades? The one that tried to maintain the old footballing values whilst still persevering to compete with those capable of winning silverware merely by producing the chequebook, the one that put team spirit and a feel for the Club on a par with ability, and one that acted with class and dignity in all footballing matters?

The trend towards aligning with everyone else in the chase for success has been evidenced since the departure of Martinez, most recently with the merrygoround of managers at GP, the tapping up of Silva last year, and now the blatant demotion of younger talent in the wake of yesterdays foreign signings.

Again, I'm not suggesting this is necessarily all for the worse. Heaven knows we've suffered enough under the 'plucky Everton' culture. But there is still a tinge of sadness in now just joining the rest in the unseemly quest for success.

Without casting judgement on whether it is for better or worse, have we finally lost the Everton Football Club of the last couple of decades? The one that tried to maintain the old footballing values whilst still persevering to compete with those capable of winning silverware merely by producing the chequebook, the one that put team spirit and a feel for the Club on a par with ability, and one that acted with class and dignity in all footballing matters?

The trend towards aligning with everyone else in the chase for success has been evidenced since the departure of Martinez, most recently with the merrygoround of managers at GP, the tapping up of Silva last year, and now the blatant demotion of younger talent in the wake of yesterdays foreign signings.

Again, I'm not suggesting this is necessarily all for the worse. Heaven knows we've suffered enough under the 'plucky Everton' culture. But there is still a tinge of sadness in now just joining the rest in the unseemly quest for success.

We have gone back to NSNO. This is the Everton I grew up with.

Hmmmm...

I don't agree with the OP's depiction of Everton over the last 20 years. The notion that we were the last bastion of footballing integrity that refused to make our players millionaires because we only paid our players with magic beans was nothing but a defence mechanism for those that were struggling to cope with the fact that we were so far behind the elite.

We still continued with our place in the food chain, and used cash (not magic beans) to buy smaller clubs' star players, Cahill, Jagielka etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.