2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, after last season, he needs to be punted if we get a good offer.

But I don't think he never tried.

He simply isn't quick enough to play the role he did last season in a 4-4-2 and without Gana we were sat 10 yards deeper under Silva playing the 4-2-3-1.

If he stays he can still be useful. And he's gonna stay unless we get a decent offer (or DC United decide to move on him now).

Ideal world he moves on but I just can't see it.

He'll almost certainly start on Sunday as he's the only midfielder we have who has minutes under his belt.
I've been an ardent Siggy backer during his time here and i've more often than not agreed with you on different opinions.

But the idea that his poor performances are primarily down to a lack of partner and his position in a 2 is rubbish mate. Absolutely rubbish.

He hid last season. As bad as Schneiderlin at his worst. Not taking the ball, not passing forwards. He's not quick enough to get to loose balls generally, agreed, but how many times on the few instances he has got there has he shown his arse in the tackle?

The lad absolutely has quality. But he has responsibility to lead by example and he was utterly terrible last season.

I wouldn't give him another chance. If he gets it, he better take it or he will spend this year watching from the bench.

I've been an ardent Siggy backer during his time here and i've more often than not agreed with you on different opinions.

But the idea that his poor performances are primarily down to a lack of partner and his position in a 2 is rubbish mate. Absolutely rubbish.

He hid last season. As bad as Schneiderlin at his worst. Not taking the ball, not passing forwards. He's not quick enough to get to loose balls generally, agreed, but how many times on the few instances he has got there has he shown his arse in the tackle?

The lad absolutely has quality. But he has responsibility to lead by example and he was utterly terrible last season.

I wouldn't give him another chance. If he gets it, he better take it or he will spend this year watching from the bench.

Oh I'm not saying that mate. I don't think he played well at all. I just don't think he didn't try in those post lockdown games, either. I just think his 'best effort' (lack of a better term) was nowhere near good enough.

Like I said, would happily see the back of him. Just realistically I think he's here until at least January.

Think you're letting him off the hook too easily here, What game was it where he didn't touch the ball for 45 minutes or was it no tackles/passes in 45 minutes? I can't remember but some games he has definitely took the mickey and done bare minimum if that.

Yeah fair enough.

I've always thought as him as trying, just simply not been up to scratch in the last season.

He will start on Sunday:

1599738445961.png

Don't wanna be too harsh on the fella, he does still have quality and he's a smart player, I hope we phase him out as the season goes on but I do think he'd still offer something off the bench a la West Ham at home last season.

He hid last season. As bad as Schneiderlin at his worst. Not taking the ball, not passing forwards. He's not quick enough to get to loose balls generally, agreed, but how many times on the few instances he has got there has he shown his arse in the tackle

I agree with this
We can give a lot of room to younger players - under 4-5 managers it's difficult to know your role and position - but a senior player, and one of our captains should have done something! At least drive forward. He is fit enough and skilful enough to look forward instead of sideways, so that's why he doesnt' get to make excuses. He drove Iceland forward in that WC or Euros a few years ago, and I was hoping for something like that from him. The 'new No.10' is now a different type of player, and the standards and style have been set by KDB, Silva. Look at Ozil, look at why Dowell is not making it at his loan clubs, look even at Barkley - you have to adapt now - there's no space for that no.10 any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.