2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ill take the unpopular view and say id keep for another year. I like him, always have and i think he has a role to play in the squad. I think this year he fitted in whre needs must, pushed back into a deeper midfield position, while the games he played more advanced the whole team had been poor from an attacking point of view under Silva. I think hes someone who has missed Idrissa, there is more of a gaping hole through our central channel and i think he tracks back more then he should. What is telling is he consistently picked.

Where does he fit in? I think as a 10 and as an option in that system. I always think you should never be dogmatic about a system, two years left on his contract and if a bid came in id look at it, but id keep for another year rather then hawking him about.

Ill take the unpopular view and say id keep for another year. I like him, always have and i think he has a role to play in the squad. I think this year he fitted in whre needs must, pushed back into a deeper midfield position, while the games he played more advanced the whole team had been poor from an attacking point of view under Silva. I think hes someone who has missed Idrissa, there is more of a gaping hole through our central channel and i think he tracks back more then he should. What is telling is he consistently picked.

Where does he fit in? I think as a 10 and as an option in that system. I always think you should never be dogmatic about a system, two years left on his contract and if a bid came in id look at it, but id keep for another year rather then hawking him about.

Said when we signed him, he'd be a good squad player in a top team and not someone you'd build a team around. Which what happened at Swansea and what Silva had to do to get a tune out of him.

the thing is right now, he doesn't fit in a system, and like you say, he could be used whenever we'd like to change the system, but are his wages too high for someone who will have that role. He's just another great player who's again flattered to deceive here sadly, i wouldn't play him anywhere in a 4-4-2, playing in a 4-4-1-1 with richarlison or a new striker ahead with proper protection behind him and he'd still do a job. But yeah, when you look back at his previous, he could score great free kicks, he was great at set plays, as well as being great in-play. But none of that seems to have translated here. I can't knock him too much for being crap in a midfield two, that's not the type of player he is, i'd rather look at all the good things our players can do rather than what they can't do. I wouldn't knock a keeper for being a crap finisher.

Said when we signed him, he'd be a good squad player in a top team and not someone you'd build a team around. Which what happened at Swansea and what Silva had to do to get a tune out of him.

Its a funny one, i think he certainly earned his corn last year and made a massive contribution - full tilt that is the player i would keep and be looking to enable that form. When i look at Gyfli i see a quality player capable of returns. I look at the squad and i see Sandro, Tosun, Martina, Niasse, Bolaise, lads who will never meet the quality threshold, i dont think that is true of Gylfi, i think in the right environment and context he is an asset to us.

So why hasnt it been like that- is the obvious question. Year 1, i think the environment was very unstable we had three managers in a year, all playing different systems with different objectives with as many no 10's. Year 2 he was fine and one of our best and most effective players, Year 3, as above i think we missed Gueye, we have a ramshackle midfield ravaged by injury and a big gaping hole through the central Chanel, there have been many different midfield combinations and no consistency there. He was asked to fill in deeper and that doesn't enable the key skills sets of his game. While playing at 10. i think he dropped deeper to compensate our poor combinations in central midfield, while we were also in poor form from an attacking point of view, we also had three different managers in a season. Hes had 7 managers in 2 and half seasons, here, the environment has been unstable and lacked any continuity and consistency.

I do sometimes wonder is Gylfi one of those players you have to make the focal point of your team to see his best, like at Swansea, but at his best with us with a consistent manger he made a key contribution in a collective team effort, so he can do it.

I think he has a role to play here, at his very best he has made a key - contribution - that was under 1 manager all year, in his other two years he has another six managers and the context in terms of bad injuries around him and consistently in management has been really bad. I think in a stable environment and the gaps plugged aorund him, i think he has a role to play and i would be keen not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Actually the more i think of it the more unlucky i think he has been.

Last edited:
the thing is right now, he doesn't fit in a system, and like you say, he could be used whenever we'd like to change the system, but are his wages too high for someone who will have that role. He's just another great player who's again flattered to deceive here sadly, i wouldn't play him anywhere in a 4-4-2, playing in a 4-4-1-1 with richarlison or a new striker ahead with proper protection behind him and he'd still do a job. But yeah, when you look back at his previous, he could score great free kicks, he was great at set plays, as well as being great in-play. But none of that seems to have translated here. I can't knock him too much for being crap in a midfield two, that's not the type of player he is, i'd rather look at all the good things our players can do rather than what they can't do. I wouldn't knock a keeper for being a crap finisher.

I think you cant be to dogmatic around a system mate, we will have to vary it and have players who can vary it at certain point. 4-4-2 is the accepted popular narrative but if you actually look at it Carlo vaires it during a game at times. In the modern PL you cant just go with one system, its cottoned onto fairly quick after initial success and teams set up accordingly, having a plan B and C is important and Gylfi enables a different dimension being able to playing behind a striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.