2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Brands is as good as he's supposed to be, we should be able to bring in an exciting number 10 from abroad for around 20m. Somebody upcoming but who hasn't quite proven themselves yet. A young lad though, not some Davy Klassen type. I'd like that. I don't think we need a 15-goal number 10.

What we need is a 15+ goal striker, wingers who can get between 5 and 10, a 10-goal number 10 and players in midfield and defence who are able to score more than two a season each.

The goalscoring stats of Keane, Zouma, Gomes, Gueye, Walcott and Bernard are pitiful.

He wont be replaced with a number 10, he will be replaced by a number 8, Silva will very much want to go 4-3-3 or something similar.

A number 10 doesnt suit the fast counter attacking style, high press he wishes to use, IMO of course.

And yeah Brands is a magican, but I think most clubs know what they have these days, we would struggle to get an offensive baller in for less than 40m.

He wont be replaced with a number 10, he will be replaced by a number 8, Silva will very much want to go 4-3-3 or something similar.

A number 10 doesnt suit the fast counter attacking style, high press he wishes to use, IMO of course.

And yeah Brands is a magican, but I think most clubs know what they have these days, we would struggle to get an offensive baller in for less than 40m.
I'll settle for that.

I've well and truly been sucked into the we-only-play-4231 mindset ffs.

How do you account for his continued lack of involvement in games please note i fully understand when he is involved he is very effective.

The data and eye test are very clear he doesn’t actually touch the ball a lot at all.

Do you think he is being used incorrectly by the manager?
I think he's playing as a second striker. He gets as many touches as Bernard and Richarlison.

When he plays deeper, like he did against Cardiff and we played Silva's 4-3-3, he got more touches and was rather effective. Silva not playing a 4-3-3 has nothing to do with Sigurdsson not being able to play deeper. He's done it for Iceland, he can do it for us. He's a lot better defensively than Gomes frankly.

Silva doesn't play it because in variant one, he doesn't trust Schneiderlin. He also doesn't have a second DM worth a darn because McCarthy is toast and Gomes can't really tackle and definitely can't make an interception. Gomes could play that same more attacking role, but you'd have to sit either him or Sigurdsson.

Can we please stop the idea that Silva runs a high press. He plays a medium block. Do we press? Yes. Is it a high press? Absolutely not.

And obviously Sigurdsson would have no problem playing the Cleverly or Hughes roles he employed at Watford. I'm dying to know what qualities Tom Cleverly has that Sigurdsson does not.

It'd never happen buuuuut there happens to be a certain German player named Brandt who has absolutely flourished as an 8 in the last 18 months AND has a release clause of €25m

Can we please stop the idea that Silva runs a high press. He plays a medium block. Do we press? Yes. Is it a high press? Absolutely not.

And obviously Sigurdsson would have no problem playing the Cleverly or Hughes roles he employed at Watford. I'm dying to know what qualities Tom Cleverly has that Sigurdsson does not.

Do we play 4-3-3?

So no, we dont currently use a high press.

At Watford Tom Clev used to play where Iceland does.

At both clubs hes had to use the players already available, hence mostly playing 4-2-3-1, but as most of the league arent really using 4-2-3-1 anymore we and he will want to change to 433.

He had a shocker against Fulham. Can't even remember any moment with him on the ball, never mind doing anything with it.

If we could get 15-20m for him it's the best time to offload, despite him having a good season for us imo.

Put DCL 1-1 and had a goal disallowed

Tbh only Bernard suits a fast counter attacking style. To break quick you need to be fast obviously , but, you need speed of pass, pass accuracy and good desolation making and the ability to play a ball first time also helps. Richy can’t pass, DCL can’t finish, decided what to do or play and decent passes and can’t dribble, ‘Tuson is so immobile that I would bet the Dixie dean statue has moved more this season , Walcott has the pace but for some reason has decided he no longer wants to run fast anymore , Siggy can pass , finish and play good one touch passes but unfortunately doesn’t have the pace to keep up with DCL, Bernie and richy

Do we play 4-3-3?

So no, we dont currently use a high press.

At Watford Tom Clev used to play where Iceland does.

At both clubs hes had to use the players already available, hence mostly playing 4-2-3-1, but as most of the league arent really using 4-2-3-1 anymore we and he will want to change to 433.
What? What does the formation have to do with us pressing? We play a 4-4-2 out of possession. You can press high out of a 442, Silva just doesn't, nor has he ever.

Cleverly played deeper, however it still doesn't change the fact that Watford had Chalobah, Capoue, and Doucoure. We have Gana. No other DM.

What? What does the formation have to do with us pressing? We play a 4-4-2 out of possession. You can press high out of a 442, Silva just doesn't, nor has he ever.

Cleverly played deeper, however it still doesn't change the fact that Watford had Chalobah, Capoue, and Doucoure. We have Gana. No other DM.
Silva will very much want to go 4-3-3 or something similar.

As I said, it was all IMO.

If we played a true 442 we could of course high press now, but we dont play a true 442, we play 4231

Im saying next season I would imagine Silva would wish to switch to a 4-3-3 and press higher than we do now, thats all, I mean feel free to disagree, but as I say, its merely IMO.

Yes im aware that Silva has used 4231 most of his career, im saying that the formation is a "dying" formation and any manager worth their salt will adapt to the 433 or something.

But my main point was that if Iceland was to move on, I dont think he would be replaced by another number 10.

As I said, it was all IMO.

If we played a true 442 we could of course high press now, but we dont play a true 442, we play 4231

Im saying next season I would imagine Silva would wish to switch to a 4-3-3 and press higher than we do now, thats all, I mean feel free to disagree, but as I say, its merely IMO.

Yes im aware that Silva has used 4231 most of his career, im saying that the formation is a "dying" formation and any manager worth their salt will adapt to the 433 or something.

But my main point was that if Iceland was to move on, I dont think he would be replaced by another number 10.
That final point I agree with.

We also absolutely play a 4-4-2 without the ball. We also rarely press high.

Silva calls his 4-2-3-1 a 4-3-3. Frankly, its irrelevant. What relevant is that without 2 very good CM/DMs, no formation is going to be successful. We have 1.

That performance at the weekend was nothing new.

He's been playing like that for 90% of his time here.

His lack of awareness on the pitch, and ability to find space is mind boggling considering how good he is technically.

Ive no issue with selling him, no issue with selling any player in the whole squad if im honest, as long as they are replaced with better quality.

And we aint replacing him for 15-20m.
I think It would be about changing the system. I think he plays to far forward and this forces Bernard & Richarlison back, now I don’t think that’s a big problem for Bernard as I would say he’s more of a midfielder anyway, but I see Richarlison as a wide striker and at times need to be allowed to stay forward and maybe drift across the pitch at times.

If we are targeting more pacey wide players if you believe the rumours IE. Neres, Lozano, Sarr. Then we would better goung 433 and that would mean no place for siggurdsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.