2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
His whole career has been marked by purple patches followed by quiet periods. He was the same at Swansea.
He has scored 2 goals against...Cardiff. Doesnt make him world class doesn´t it? Watched Watford yesterday, a team beating Cardiff 5-1, they got handed there arses by the RS. Thats says a lot about the level of Cardiff. Del boy had a stinker after scoring ...3 goals against Cardiff by the way. Siggy is a decent player , not worth 50M not even worth 15M.

If you want to judge him as a striker on his goal tally then you can't argue he's been crap for two of our busiest months.

If you want to judge him as a midfielder then he has been crap all season and has the same amount of assists at Keane and Digne.

He's a midfielder and you can't argue he sets up enough goals and contributes enough to our play moving forward so all you have to point to is he's scoring goals. If he was a striker his goal tally would be nothing to write home about.

If you want to judge him as a striker on his goal tally then you can't argue he's been crap for two of our busiest months.

If you want to judge him as a midfielder then he has been crap all season and has the same amount of assists at Keane and Digne.

He's a midfielder and you can't argue he sets up enough goals and contributes enough to our play moving forward so all you have to point to is he's scoring goals. If he was a striker his goal tally would be nothing to write home about.

Lukaku as fell into this boat as a striker. Slot. Yes. But what else can he do?

And? Sigurdsson doesn’t skin the full back to set up the goal. Player in being able to do something another player couldn’t shocker.

Yeah horses for courses. Siggy's more two footed, better delivery, better in the air, covers more ground, scores more goals, better passing, creates more....but when it comes to going past a slow, tired cardiff defender then Bernard has him beat.

Different strengths.

He has scored 2 goals against...Cardiff. Doesnt make him world class doesn´t it? Watched Watford yesterday, a team beating Cardiff 5-1, they got handed there arses by the RS. Thats says a lot about the level of Cardiff. Del boy had a stinker after scoring ...3 goals against Cardiff by the way. Siggy is a decent player , not worth 50M not even worth 15M.
I’ve got nothing against him. Not his fault we paid so much for him. I’d still rather have him starting I think.

Yeah horses for courses. Siggy's more two footed, better delivery, better in the air, covers more ground, scores more goals, better passing, creates more....but when it comes to going past a slow, tired cardiff defender then Bernard has him beat.

Different strengths.

Literally the only thing that is correct on that list. Try again Steven.

Literally the only thing that is correct on that list. Try again Steven.

Its all correct but that's the only thing proveable.

Actually the two footed thing is pretty much a given.

And he HAS got more assists so I'll take that one.

Better delivery?
Yeah not really sure how arguable that is, Bernanrd could be ace, keeping it under his hat though, the scoundrel. Until he proves otherwise I'll have to say that's true as well.

Better in the air? He's half a foot taller and has scored more with his head.....it's tough to give that one to the Brazilian.

Covers more ground? Not seen recent figures but Siggy averaged over 11km per game at Swansea. With the greatest will in the world I'm not sure Bernard does that in two games!

Pass completion is about the same but Siggy's stats include the corners and free kicks he puts he repeatedly puts in the danger area only for our dopey players to stand about and watch it.

Its all correct but that's the only thing proveable.

Actually the two footed thing is pretty much a given.

And he HAS got more assists so I'll take that one.

Better delivery?
Yeah not really sure how arguable that is, Bernanrd could be ace, keeping it under his hat though, the scoundrel. Until he proves otherwise I'll have to say that's true as well.

Better in the air? He's half a foot taller and has scored more with his head.....it's tough to give that one to the Brazilian.

Covers more ground? Not seen recent figures but Siggy averaged over 11km per game at Swansea. With the greatest will in the world I'm not sure Bernard does that in two games!

Pass completion is about the same but Siggy's stats include the corners and free kicks he puts he repeatedly puts in the danger area only for our dopey players to stand about and watch it.

Jesus, I knew the numbers game would come out. Utter lunacy when you consider Bernard doesn’t get credited with assists for Richarlison’s goal at Leicester or Sigurdsson’s second the other night, so that assist spreadsheet can go right in the bin.

Distance covered is an absolute nonsense. Jogging around in a circle not going near anyone covers loads of ground, what is it accomplishing? Another meaningless number or line on a graph.

Being “better in the air” than a man who’s 5 foot 4 doesn’t mean he’s actually good in the air. Another nonsense.

Having watched each player play football, Bernard is the better footballer. If he played essentially up front, took every set piece as well as growth hormones and played every minute of every game, I’m sure his bars would align with Sigurdsson’s on your bar charts.

that's absolutely terrible but is it his fault or is the team just absolute rubbish with no forward quality, probably both tbh

Forum hipsters are bigging up Bernard atm but he doesn't score either of siggys Cardiff goals in a month of Sundays.

And everyone knows it.

That is true Steve and I think I get your wider point (which I suspect is not to knock Bernard or the fans who like him). Sigurdsson is never going to be the easiest on the eye, but is a very effective footballer. The numbers are very good and will continue to be very good. He reminds me a lot of Lampard, in that he doesn't have to be having a great game to influence the game. He won us the game last night but wasn't so good in his overall play.

I'd like him to play deeper in time. I don't think we lose a lot of what he's good at if he plays as one of a 3, but I think we get more passes from him, more assists from deep and we get him on the ball more. We probably get more defensive cover too.

Bernard is a bit of the opposite really. I have a feeling he may kick on next year, with a full pre-season etc. He has assists in him, but you often walk out of the ground thinking he's brilliant but probably doesn't produce enough to show for it. That will be his challenge. I think we have to hope the maturing of Richarlinson, Calvert Lewin and Lookman will help that.

Honestly tho, who would buy him?

Im not saying that cos I think hes crap, I defo do not, but hes not very attractive to a buyer.

He fits a certain style and hes 30 in September.

plenty of clubs...

he is a quality player, a goal scoring midfielder who get about 15 goals a season

yeah ,, not one single premier league club would want him

plus hes looked after himself, is a great pro and will play till his 35 no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.