2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there is more to football than just stats?

But you don't appreciate the amount of chances that Sig' has created but haven't been scored.

I have no idea where you sit on this. Apart from you don't like Gylfi and are trying your best to muddle together a reason why.

You do know where I sit on it. I don’t rate him and unfortunately continue to be backed up by what I see every week.

So there is more to football than just stats?

But you don't appreciate the amount of chances that Sig' has created but haven't been scored.

I have no idea where you sit on this. Apart from you don't like Gylfi and are trying your best to muddle together a reason why.

Every player creates chances that aren't scored.

We measure that by a stat called expected assists which is worked out by looking at all the passes made and how likely it was that a similar pass resulted in a goal. So a pass to a player right in front of goal with a tap in might normally result in a goal 80% of the time. Whilst a pass on the half way line might result in a goal 0.001% of the time.

These passes are then all added up and players are then ranked by how many assists they would expect to get in a normal side. This means you can make fairer comparisons between playing alongside Messi and playing alongside Anichebe.

When we do that we find there are 42 attacking midfielders with over 1000 minutes played this year.

Out of those 42 listed by open play expected assists per 90 we find Bernard 17th, Gylfi 26th and Walcott 27th.

Every player creates chances that aren't scored.

We measure that by a stat called expected assists which is worked out by looking at all the passes made and how likely it was that a similar pass resulted in a goal. So a pass to a player right in front of goal with a tap in might normally result in a goal 80% of the time. Whilst a pass on the half way line might result in a goal 0.001% of the time.

These passes are then all added up and players are then ranked by how many assists they would expect to get in a normal side. This means you can make fairer comparisons between playing alongside Messi and playing alongside Anichebe.

When we do that we find there are 42 attacking midfielders with over 1000 minutes played this year.

Out of those 42 listed by open play expected assists per 90 we find Bernard 17th, Gylfi 26th and Walcott 27th.

But the players around him aren't good enough. If he had better strikers, better midfielders and better defenders and a better goalkeeper, his expected assists would be so much higher.

I mean, you might have looked closely by looking at expected assists, but if you look even closer at expected expected assists, where you consider wider concepts, like, if someone needs better players around them, or a very specific position created for him, or slightly warmer/colder weather conditions, or decreased speed and desire of opponents, Gylfi is 1st in that list.

Not Walcott though, those stats dont apply to him for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.