2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can’t treat all stats the same though, take goals and assists. Goals and assists win games, they absolutely need to be taken seriously.

Other stats are rubbish, like key passes, big chances etc,

Every stat has a place depending on what your doing, but you can’t treat them all the same.

Someone better tell the Premier League to change the requirements for the golden boot because apparently number of goals scored doesn't mean anything

Reminds me of when Ferguson moved on a free scoring RVN because he thought the team would benefit from going in a different direction. United went on to win the next three Premier League titles...

You can’t treat all stats the same though, take goals and assists. Goals and assists win games, they absolutely need to be taken seriously.

Other stats are rubbish, like key passes, big chances etc,

Every stat has a place depending on what your doing, but you can’t treat them all the same.
So genuine question mate, you don't think Gylfi deserves any credit for the raft of chances he has created but have been missed?

Reminds me of when Ferguson moved on a free scoring RVN because he thought the team would benefit from going in a different direction. United went on to win the next three Premier League titles...
That's not necessarily what happened, according to Ferguson's autobiography (which is an excellent read).
RvN became a nightmare in the dressing room after they signed Cristiano Ronaldo. The two didn't get on. Fergie then fell out with RvN and it was decided to commit to Ronaldo and move on the Dutchman. RvN years later apologised for his behaviour in it all.

He wasn’t though because he’s a defensive midfielder and scored about 8 pens. That’s exactly the point, goal and assist stats don’t paint a fair picture when looked at in isolation and away from the context of games.

Judging players based on numbers is what has got us into this mess and led to us spending so much money on players that just aren’t very good. Sandro is a good example, we bought him based on the fact he scored 14 goals in La Liga, I’m not having that anyone actually scouted him. It took about 3 games of real life football to realise he was one of the worst players I’d ever seen.

Your mate Big Oumz is another good one. His goals per minutes ratio tells us that he was one of the league’s deadliest strikers last season, yet I’ve never seen him successfully control a ball. Stats vs real life, real life always wins.
So there is more to football than just stats?

But you don't appreciate the amount of chances that Sig' has created but haven't been scored.

I have no idea where you sit on this. Apart from you don't like Gylfi and are trying your best to muddle together a reason why.

That's not necessarily what happened, according to Ferguson's autobiography (which is an excellent read).
RvN became a nightmare in the dressing room after they signed Cristiano Ronaldo. The two didn't get on. Fergie then fell out with RvN and it was decided to commit to Ronaldo and move on the Dutchman. RvN years later apologised for his behaviour in it all.

Either way, you can still argue the team improved despite losing one of the best goalscorers in modern history. Anyone who has watched us regularly this season will at least acknowledge the argument Sigurdsson's style of play can stifle the way we attack.

Either way, you can still argue the team improved despite losing one of the best goalscorers in modern history. Anyone who has watched us regularly this season will at least acknowledge the argument Sigurdsson's style of play can stifle the way we attack.
Yes but they replaced him with, in the end, one of the best footballers of all time.
Not much chance of us doing that.

Yes but they replaced him with, in the end, one of the best footballers of all time.
Not much chance of us doing that.

You want to start moving away from competing with Wolves, Bournemouth and Watford then you've got to start buying players above their level. It's a tough ask and a huge element of luck around it but Liverpool and Spurs are the best example of doing it.

Delle Alli, Son, Eriksen Mane, Coutinho, Firmino... All players purchased for around the same price Sigurdsson went for (when you consider the inflation) and all contributed much more.

So genuine question mate, you don't think Gylfi deserves any credit for the raft of chances he has created but have been missed?
I certainly do, in fact if you go back a page you will see my point of view,

If you have the time, you will find a posts by me when he was at Reading and Hoffenheim, advocating his signing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.