2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't. That's a massive issue.

But Lukaku wouldn't have solved this issue, much as Lukaku didn't solve Pogba's issues.

Sigurdsson would need a Llorente type striker to do well. But that comes back to what I'm actually saying - Sigurdsson needs a very, very specific set-up to perform. Is it worth even attempting to get that set-up together at this point?

Playmaker needs striker?

Yeah, probably worth addressing that and bringing in an actual striker.

He did at Spurs and was AIDS.

Alright lad.

Gylfi Sigurdsson would have been perfect for me at Tottenham, says Pochettino

pienaer and arteta had the likes of anichebe in front of them most of the time they where here, didn't even have a striker in the side sometimes and that didn't stop them being boss

The other weakness with that argument is that when Sigurdsson was decent for a flash late last year, he had Tosun/DCL ahead of him.

So they're the issue when he's bad but not the issue when he's good...

Yes mate. Watch us play.
What a pairing Lukaku and Sigurdsson could have been.

Padding out their stats against Bournemouth and Brighton at home, while everyone talked about how they'd be winning trebles if they were playing for Manchester United or Spurs.

Meanwhile, the rest of the team would spend 95% of every match under the cosh because nothing was moving or sticking up front.

The fact you've compared him to two very, very different players says a lot.
I know they where proper players for a start, they where the type of players that was needed not this jarg Icelandic Seb Larson

Also weren't you one of rooneys biggest critics last year? Didn't he just do what gylfi is doing this year, score a few yet contribute diddly squat besides that

Playmaker needs striker?

Yeah, probably worth addressing that and bringing in an actual striker.

Alright lad.

Gylfi Sigurdsson would have been perfect for me at Tottenham, says Pochettino

lol that’s a great go-to for his fans, dig up that article where Pochettino once vaguely hinted that he might’ve got some games for him. I’m sure if he wanted him to stay, he’d have stayed. Despite the deal already being agreed in principle with the mighty Swansea, I’m sure he could’ve stepped in and Sigurdsson would’ve jumped at the chance to stay having been assured of his place. Not only that, but I’m sure he could’ve maybe bought him back a season later for about £20m.

It seems to me like he didn’t really want or need him at all tbh.

Last edited:

There's a natural tendency for fans to blame the players' responsible for goals when a team is struggling, as goals obviously win you games. It's a surface level response.

For me personally, that's not a factor when criticising Sigurdsson. It's the reason I don't criticise Richarlison - there's little to criticise; he's out of form, that's it. For Gylfi, my belief is that it's a much deeper issue than form.

Fair enough Tubey.

I can't argue with your point that Gyfli isn't a playmaker in the traditional sense - he isn't. I said as much myself when we signed him, yet people still wanted to treat him - and judge him - as a replacement for Barkley, who for all his faults always was involved in our play.

Fair enough Tubey.

I can't argue with your point that Gyfli isn't a playmaker in the traditional sense - he isn't. I said as much myself when we signed him, yet people still wanted to treat him - and judge him - as a replacement for Barkley, who for all his faults always was involved in our play.

That's why I don't blame Sigurdsson for this - I did for a bit (thought he was a coward and shied away from games) - but the fault lies with the club. He was brought in on stats alone by people with no plan to accommodate his game.

He's not a playmaker, he simply isn't. The only one we have at the club right now is Andre Gomes.

That's why I don't blame Sigurdsson for this - I did for a bit (thought he was a coward and shied away from games) - but the fault lies with the club. He was brought in on stats alone by people with no plan to accommodate his game.

He's not a playmaker, he simply isn't. The only one we have at the club right now is Andre Gomes.

And unfortunately - and the stats back this up - he isn't good enough in the final third. Maybe that's more down to position (?) but it's like we've got two players who do actually compliment each other well when on form (which we saw in our decent run) but actually it's two players doing the job that one real quality player could do on their own.

The answer is probably to switch system, and as I've said if that means no Gylfi then so be it, but it does mean Gomes - and Davies etc - have got to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.