Goodison: World's 41st best venue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE LIST: Nos 50-41 of the world's greatest sporting venues | Mail Online

According to the Mail, our lovely, historic Goodison Park is the 41st greatest sporting venue in the WORLD.

Hope they hurry up and build Kirkby because I'd love to see where that would end up, assuming they do a "Top 100,000 Best Sporting Venues List" (sorry, couldn't resist that, but that's what we're losing :oops:).

I like that find, Nebb' -- where else in the world would you see a Football Cathedral with a church aching to get a peep at a footballing Mecca.

Not number 1 though is it?

I want WORLD CLASS!!!!!!

*insert your Kirkby related or redevelopment program here*

I can actually say I have been to a world cup final, 1986 in fact, and the Azteca in Mexico City remains for me the most impressive stadia I have ever been present at. The Argentine support was a mass of blue and white that will live with me forever on a very warm, but not uncomfortably hot afternoon.

Just for the record, up until about ten years ago, the Stadium of light (not Sunderland :rolleyes:), in Portugal was the biggest in the world in terms of capacity but I don't know if that record has changed, I mean the Camp Nou or Maracana may now hold that record.

I dare say there would have been a time in the past when the old girl would have come much higher than 41st. Sadly the days when we invested to make the stadium a world leader are long gone.

I can actually say I have been to a world cup final, 1986 in fact, and the Azteca in Mexico City remains for me the most impressive stadia I have ever been present at. The Argentine support was a mass of blue and white that will live with me forever on a very warm, but not uncomfortably hot afternoon.

Just for the record, up until about ten years ago, the Stadium of light (not Sunderland :rolleyes:), in Portugal was the biggest in the world in terms of capacity but I don't know if that record has changed, I mean the Camp Nou or Maracana may now hold that record.

List of association football stadiums by capacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1Rungrado May Day Stadium150,000[1]Pyongyang North KoreaNorth Korea national football team
2Salt Lake Stadium120,000[2]Kolkata IndiaEast Bengal Club, Mohammedan SC, Mohun Bagan AC, India national football team
3Azteca105,000[3]Mexico City MexicoAmérica, Mexico national football team=
4Melbourne Cricket Ground100,000[4]Melbourne AustraliaAustralia national football team
=4Azadi Stadium100,000[5]Tehran IranIran national football team, Esteghlal FC, Persepolis
=4Bukit Jalil National Stadium100,000[6]Kuala Lumpur MalaysiaMalaysia national football team
7Camp Nou98,772[7]Barcelona SpainFC Barcelona
8Maracanã96,000[8]Rio de Janeiro BrazilCR Flamengo, Fluminense FC
9Beijing National Stadium91,000[9]Beijing China2008 Olympic men's football tournament final
=10Wembley Stadium90,000[10]London EnglandEngland national football team
=10Estadio Monumental Isidro Romero Carbo90,000Guayaquil EcuadorBarcelona Sporting Club
12Bung Karno Stadium88,306[11]Jakarta IndonesiaIndonesia national football team
13Stade 5 Juillet 196284,000Algiers AlgeriaMC Algiers
14ANZ Stadium83,500Sydney AustraliaAustralia
15Olimpiyskiy83,450Kyiv UkraineUkraine, Dynamo Kyiv, Arsenal Kyiv
16Croke Park82,300Dublin IrelandIreland, Gaelic Athletic Association, Ireland rugby
17Atatürk Olympic Stadium81,283Istanbul Turkeyİstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyespor, Galatasaray SK, Turkey
18Signal Iduna Park81,264Dortmund GermanyBorussia Dortmund
19Shah Alam Stadium80,372Shah Alam MalaysiaSelangor FA
20Estadio Santiago Bernabéu80,354Madrid SpainReal Madrid

i agree though the azteca is one of my favs, i imagine it is very noisy as there always seems to be a humming background when it's on the box.

biggest attendance ever, meaning in the stands with a game taking place......

Where: The Maracanã stadium, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
What happened here: The 1950 Football World Cup was a little different from the others, with the winner being decided through a final group stage. Therefore the deciding game between Brazil and Uruguay wasn’t technically the final – it just worked out that way. Brazil only needed a draw to take the trophy, and were sailing at 1-0, but the Uruguayans came back to win 2-1 and take the trophy. What was incredible about the game, however, was the amount of people that watched it. An astonishing 199,854 fans crammed into the stadium, which is still the biggest football attendance of all time.
If you travel here today: The capacity of the stadium has been considerably reduced, and it now can contain a mere 103,022. Still, this is enough to make something of an atmosphere during one of Rio’s many footballing grudge matches. If you have to pick one, then it should be the clash between Flamengo and Fluminese, one of the world’s greatest games in terms of history and atmosphere.

Read more: "Record sporting attendances: The world's biggest football, wrestling and rugby crowds" - Record sporting attendances: The world's biggest football, wrestling and rugby crowds

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.