Goodison Facelift

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg

Ah, Goodison Park. The best stadium in the Premier League. But maybe, just maybe, one of the worst.

We all know what Goodison under the lights, with something to play for, maybe a few dodgy referee decision gone against us, is like. Unbeatable. The whole place feels like it's going to crumble and it really is quite fantastic.

But in the cold light of day, say a Thursday morning, and it's raining, it doesn't look very good. It looks old, which it is. It looks dated, which it is. So why isn't something done to brighten up the place? And I don't mean a massive Martinez face on the side.

In an ideal world the new stadium would magically appear. But even the most optimistic blue would fear that's 10 years away at the very minimum. So we go with what we've got (I think we've heard that somewhere before).

Take the Main Stand and outside on Goodison Road. This is where the cameras always go.

image.jpg

It looks bad. Hardly intimidating for any opposition player arriving at the ground unless they're scared it might fall down on them. And imagine a player thinking of joining us seeing that. Obviously not the be all and end all but we should do everything to be attractive.

It's not all bad, the Park End looks pretty good. The wall with the names and the Dixie statue are quite good. And fitting of a top flight club.

image.jpg

So why not sort the rest out. A lick of paint here, a few bits there. Is it that hard? Or more important to us usually, that expensive?

This week I saw pictures of the Everton Free School. At first I thought they were of Goodison and I was impressed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. Why can't this colour scheme be painted onto the main stand? To bring it up to date a little. Even if it's just a bit around the big badge. Anything to hide the grey.

Not for one second will this improve the old dated inside of the ground. But maybe, just maybe it will help the image of the club from the outside.

It's a small thing that I watched a clip about this week and totally agreed with. It's a plaster over a bullet wound. But worth doing.

Saw that myself on toffee tv ijjy,I couldn't agree more,the place just appears to be being left to rack and ruin and this board do not seem to give a flying one.

Thought this for ages, how hard or expensive could it be to put some cladding up?

Probably not that hard, but it would cost a fair whack. Scaffolding alone would be a decent expense. Of course there could be an issue of the current surface supporting any more weight, or attaching new cladding to the current structural supports.

I'd be inclined to re-coat it anyway rather than putting new cladding up. Material cost would be £30k to £50k dependent on longevity requested and coating quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.