Goals for in the PL Era - A meaningless analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woolly Blue

Player Valuation: £80m
So, another four goals today, to add to the four we scored against Hull, the six against Bournemouth, the four we put past City, not to mention ( though I'm just about to ), the three we put past WBA, Soton, Boro and S'land means we appear to be scoring for fun this season.

To put this into context, since football was invented :oops: by Sky back in 1992, our best "Goals For" columns have been :-

• 1995/96 : 64
  • 2013/14 : 61
  • 2009/10 : 60
  • 1999/00 : 59
  • 2015/16 : 59
  • 2016/17 : 57 ( to date, after 32 matches ).
So, with six games to go, we look on course to beat the 2013/14 number, and the "all time" (or, at least the version of "all time" that Murdoch's minions recognise ) record isn't out of reach.

Those of us of a certain age, can cast our minds back to the 95/96 season when a certain Andrei Kanchelskis

article-0-00E1F12400000190-507_964x603.jpg

was playing in Royal Blue and knocking in goals on a regular basis ( Sixteen if memory serves me right, if not I'm blaming google ) with a little help from the now slightly portly club ambassador Graham Stuart who chipped in with nine. I really only mention this to justify posting a pic of Kanchelskis, and, in case Graham reads this, I'll throw one in of him too, though it's sized to reflect the fact his lesser goal scoring prowess that season
51eK1g7cxeL._SY450_.jpg

Admittedly, the "Goals for" column means Jack Wotsit if we don't win anything, which, given the seventh place trophy carries no weight in the honours rating happens to be the case this season and yes, we're relying a lot on Lukaku, a fact which David-K has highlighted at https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/are-we-a-one-man-team.95387/ so, other than acknowledging that Lukaku's improvement this season is partly down to him maturing and partly down to us playing to his strength, lets not go down that road again.

However, we, under Koeman's team of coaches seem to have found a balance between neat, possession football and actually penetrating ( ooo err missus ) other teams defences, which is nice. But OK, there's already a Koeman thread over at https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ronald-koeman-discussion.89131/

So, if you're going to Goodison for either Burnley or Watford games and now expect us to score a hatful of goals against, so called, weaker opposition and end up watching a dreary 0-0 draw then feel free to blame me, but I'm not arsed.

Why have I typed this gubbins you might ask, or you might not. Well, it's purely to give any stattos ( or however you spell that ) amongst us something to watch for, so here's a TL;DR

TL;DR ?

• Four more goals equals our second best tally in the PL Era
  • Unsurprisingly, five more goals would better it
  • Seven more goals would equal our best ever tally and ...
  • There are no prizes for guessing how many goals we need to beat it
Don't mention the 72 points ffs

Progress in any form is good. Even 64 goals doesn't sound great to me but you have to consider Lukaku is the first top-rate striker we have had since Lineker, such is the poverty we have to endure since the 80s.

I'm looking forward to when we can be looking at 80+ league goals and challenging for titles again.

Even 64 goals doesn't sound great to me

Must admit, I was surprised that 64 was our best tally in the PL era, but, to put it into context, our worst ones are

• 1994/95 44*
  • 1996/97 44
  • 1993/94 42*
  • 1998/99 42
  • 1997/98 41 and
  • 2005/06 34
*93/94 and 94/95 were 42 game seasons.

So, another four goals today, to add to the four we scored against Hull, the six against Bournemouth, the four we put past City, not to mention ( though I'm just about to ), the three we put past WBA, Soton, Boro and S'land means we appear to be scoring for fun this season.

To put this into context, since football was invented :oops: by Sky back in 1992, our best "Goals For" columns have been :-

• 1995/96 : 64
  • 2013/14 : 61
  • 2009/10 : 60
  • 1999/00 : 59
  • 2015/16 : 59
  • 2016/17 : 57 ( to date, after 32 matches ).
So, with six games to go, we look on course to beat the 2013/14 number, and the "all time" (or, at least the version of "all time" that Murdoch's minions recognise ) record isn't out of reach.

Those of us of a certain age, can cast our minds back to the 95/96 season when a certain Andrei Kanchelskis

article-0-00E1F12400000190-507_964x603.jpg

was playing in Royal Blue and knocking in goals on a regular basis ( Sixteen if memory serves me right, if not I'm blaming google ) with a little help from the now slightly portly club ambassador Graham Stuart who chipped in with nine. I really only mention this to justify posting a pic of Kanchelskis, and, in case Graham reads this, I'll throw one in of him too, though it's sized to reflect the fact his lesser goal scoring prowess that season
51eK1g7cxeL._SY450_.jpg

Admittedly, the "Goals for" column means Jack Wotsit if we don't win anything, which, given the seventh place trophy carries no weight in the honours rating happens to be the case this season and yes, we're relying a lot on Lukaku, a fact which David-K has highlighted at https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/are-we-a-one-man-team.95387/ so, other than acknowledging that Lukaku's improvement this season is partly down to him maturing and partly down to us playing to his strength, lets not go down that road again.

However, we, under Koeman's team of coaches seem to have found a balance between neat, possession football and actually penetrating ( ooo err missus ) other teams defences, which is nice. But OK, there's already a Koeman thread over at https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ronald-koeman-discussion.89131/

So, if you're going to Goodison for either Burnley or Watford games and now expect us to score a hatful of goals against, so called, weaker opposition and end up watching a dreary 0-0 draw then feel free to blame me, but I'm not arsed.

Why have I typed this gubbins you might ask, or you might not. Well, it's purely to give any stattos ( or however you spell that ) amongst us something to watch for, so here's a TL;DR

TL;DR ?

• Four more goals equals our second best tally in the PL Era
  • Unsurprisingly, five more goals would better it
  • Seven more goals would equal our best ever tally and ...
  • There are no prizes for guessing how many goals we need to beat it
Don't mention the 72 points ffs
You're gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.