Gerrard pays Arteta.........a compliment????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan

Staff member
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11671_6310613,00.html

Steven Gerrard believes Mikel Arteta would make an excellent addition to the England squad.

The Liverpool ace proved his worth to Fabio Capello in midweek with a match-winning brace against Hungary.

Arteta is yet to win a cap for Spain and qualifies for England through the residency rule.

The Spaniard is regarded as one of the Premier League's best midfielders and Gerrard would have no qualms for Capello giving him the nod.

Best players

"I'd certainly love nothing better than to see Mikel Arteta available for England," explained Gerrard.

"You want to play with the best players, and if it makes the England squad better, of course I'd like to see it.

"I think it happens to most national teams [that they pick non-nationals], but it's up to him if he wants to make himself available.

"You want to play with the best players, and if it makes the England squad better, of course I'd like to see it."

Gerrard added: "Fabio Capello is the man to answer the question because he's the manager, but for me he's an excellent player."

Didn't see that one coming!!!

Retirement from football is a much bigger part of a players life than his football career. You really just have to put yourself in Mikel's shoes to figure out this wont happen. After his career, when he returns home to Spain, he'd forever be known as the best little Spaniard that played for England...I don't think that would be very pleasant for him.

Mikel will say no to England if asked and that will be the end of it.
Might have been worse, Alluminium was elligable last year.
Tony Hibbert has had a Brazillian.

just seen this in the echo, would love him in an england shirt
rodwell & arteta YOU MAKE ME WONNA SAY , oh oh oh oh oh oh oh my gosh ♫

Status
Not open for further replies.