Gazza at Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I met Gazza once, when he was playing for us, Everton were playing Spurs at Goodison and I was in a pub in Runcorn, getting ready to watch the game, I was chatting to a Spurs fan in the pub, he was like a bear with a sore head, he had come up with his mates the night before, stayed at a hotel, had several too many and didnt wake up early enough in the morning and all his mates left him at the hotel, so he was gutted.
About 5 minutes before kick off, Gazza walks into the pub, bold as brass and this lad cant believe his luck, his absolute hero and he was all over him, telling him how much he loved him and all these times he had seen him play. I was a bit like a rabbit in the headlights just said "hello" and that was it. But I couldn't believe how much Gazza drank (pints of Bacardi Breezer) and smoked as well. I was quite young at the time, but I was a bit disappointed, because I couldnt believe a premier league player smoked.

If every aspect of players games got analysed back then, like they do now. He would get shown up much much more.

Re-watch those Euro 96 games...he was shocking.

he would be seen as a match of the day player....the odd flash of brilliance. Like a Pogba....maybe even a Hazard at a push.

As with sooo many players and sporting events, they get changed and exaggerated over time.

If every aspect of players games got analysed back then, like they do now. He would get shown up much much more.

he would be seen as a match of the day player....the odd flash of brilliance. Like a Pogba....maybe even a Hazard at a push.

As with sooo many players and sporting events, they get changed and exaggerated over time.

I do wonder if he had been coming into the modern era where players are much better looked after whether that might have helped him somehow. Euro 96 he looked like he hadn't seen the inside of a gym in 5 years. Completely different physique to his Tottenham/Italia 90 days

I met Gazza once, when he was playing for us, Everton were playing Spurs at Goodison and I was in a pub in Runcorn, getting ready to watch the game, I was chatting to a Spurs fan in the pub, he was like a bear with a sore head, he had come up with his mates the night before, stayed at a hotel, had several too many and didnt wake up early enough in the morning and all his mates left him at the hotel, so he was gutted.
About 5 minutes before kick off, Gazza walks into the pub, bold as brass and this lad cant believe his luck, his absolute hero and he was all over him, telling him how much he loved him and all these times he had seen him play. I was a bit like a rabbit in the headlights just said "hello" and that was it. But I couldn't believe how much Gazza drank (pints of Bacardi Breezer) and smoked as well. I was quite young at the time, but I was a bit disappointed, because I couldnt believe a premier league player smoked.
I think probably quite a lot smoked in those days. I think there were rumours that Beardsley, Ince, Vialli all smoked. Probably loads others too

I was always quite underwhelmed with Gascoigne when he signed. He was injured a lot, put in the odd decent performance but was missing a lot more. Always lumped him in with Ginola who was a waste of time.

I had assumed this was a minority view, but it seems most people sort of saw him as over the hill.

For him, I think it was a shame he didn't give it a chance with Moyes. I think Moyes might have got something out of him had he stuck around for a year or 2. The blunt reality is though, alcoholics are often quite entitled, selfish people and don't really think much beyond themselves, so he was likely well beyond saving.

Thinking back to how utterly finished he was during his time here, you sometimes forget that he was still only in his early thirties.

I vaguely recall him being a good player at Rangers when I was a kid, but even by then he looked like the face of Benidorm.

I think most people would take that.

I do wonder if he had been coming into the modern era where players are much better looked after whether that might have helped him somehow. Euro 96 he looked like he hadn't seen the inside of a gym in 5 years. Completely different physique to his Tottenham/Italia 90 days

I think with the media today, had he been a player now he'd be more like a Ravel Morrison.

yes thats a good way of looking at it. He probably would have had more hep these days....but maybe under even more scrutiny.

I think most people would take that.

hmm maybe mate. Hazed has been decent with a couple of brilliant years in that too. He is struggling in Spain and was not exactly great at first for Chelsea.

i just think we over rate gazza because he was the only one we had that was close to the type pf skilful footballer rest of the world had.

hmm maybe mate. Hazed has been decent with a couple of brilliant years in that too. He is struggling in Spain and was not exactly great at first for Chelsea.

i just think we over rate gazza because he was the only one we had that was close to the type pf skilful footballer rest of the world had.
As much as Hazard has struggled in Spain so far, there aren't many better in the world in his position.

I haven't really got much of an opinion on Gazza. He's more of a TV character / personality than a footballer to me.

I think probably quite a lot smoked in those days. I think there were rumours that Beardsley, Ince, Vialli all smoked. Probably loads others too
Yeah, I guess it just wasn't spoken about or I was unaware of it, I know a few years ago there was a story and photos of Jack Wilshire smoking when he was at Arsenal, injured.

Hazard has scored roughly 1 in 3 over 500+ games for his various clubs, and over 100 games for Belgium. In that time he's won a couple of Premier Leagues and 2 Europa Leagues. He's quite clearly had a much better career than Gazza.

Status
Not open for further replies.