Gary Lineker

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hero for us as a kid, just heard he had no knowledge of his transfer to Barca. This is probably common knowledge and feel a dumbass but I didn't know this! Ha
He was my hero as a kid, but I loved so many players during that period and loved many since. Kanchelskis anyone? But Neville Southall will always be one of the greatest.

We all know that season we should have won the double.Lineker did all he could and more to try and achieve that. He had a fantastic season.People would be remembering that season forever in complete positive comments,especially if we had won the cup final which we all still have nightmares about.
But the point is we didn't win the double or the cup.
The next season we were champions again.
In this case, football history speaks louder than his goals.

Although, as such a prolific striker what wages would he be on as a player today? Obviously the game has changed since the eighties but if he was playing today he'd probably be one of the best paid players.
He earns more now than he did as a player TV pundit, and Walkers crisp advertising!

Fantastic era for a young Everton fan back then.

Should have won silverware with Linekar... I personally blame mimms, especially in the Cup Final

Sat next to him on a flight last season...was very sociable and very complimentary about Everton. Said he pitied us having to watch Allardyce manage us.

I look at the strikers we signed in the years after Linekers departure. Your Cottees, Clarkes and Newells, whilst all triers, simply were nowhere near the class of him. I'd rather have kept Lineker and had him during his peak years rather than sell him, and for the buttons we ended up getting for him.

Favourite goal still remember it was the goal against Luton in the 6th round replay. I was at the game with my brother for some reason think we were in the Enclosure. You went one end then the other in the second half.

Possibly the most smug, self-serving and sanctimonious cretin ever to wear the Royal Blue shirt.
He rarely mentions us because he turned a championship winning team into runners-up.
HK was spot on selling him; an opinion which history has proven to be well-founded.
That's one of the silliest posts I've ever seen on GOT. What did he do, or fail to do that turned us into runners up? And, imo the side that won the
league in 1987 wasn't as good as the 1986 team with Lineker that finished second.
Incidentally, he's a Leicester supporter, and what's wrong with that?

That's one of the silliest posts I've ever seen on GOT. What did he do, or fail to do that turned us into runners up? And, imo the side that won the
league in 1987 wasn't as good as the 1986 team with Lineker that finished second.
Incidentally, he's a Leicester supporter, and what's wrong with that?
HK said that Lineker changed the whole balance of the team.
If that's a good reason for HK, then it's good enough for me.

There's a clip of Venebles tapping him up on live TV, weeks if not months before he was sold. He even hinted at being a Barca the following season. He knew about it 100%.

Gave an interview about it while he was still in Mexico & said he'd move wherever he wanted.

thats false.
Hes always said that out of all the teams hes played for the one with the best midfield and the one that provided him with the most chances was Everton.
He said we were the best, number 1, team he had ever played for... on multiple occassions.

Maybe he would have stayed, same with Kendall, Steven, Stevens... if those parasites across the park hadnt of pushed a wall... and if we were there or there abouts winning leagues (and European cups) we would have been thrived when the Sky money came in. :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.