Gary Lineker

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats interesting and big Laurie was absoluteky right to call them out but its clear where Lineker wanted to go.

Isn't it funny though that even back then, when we were if not the best then definitely one of the best teams, the media had zero respect for us

What I remember of that time was that the RS announced that Rush was being sold to Juve. Oh, how we celebrated.
Then we got told that Lineker was being sold to Barca. Oh, how we cried.
Then we got told that Lineker's move was immediate but Rush's was delayed by one season (he was loaned back to the RS).

Everton that.

Then of course he came back a season later and stuffed us again in the FA Cup final.

I found the vid of them on grandstand

From 6 minutes, snake

thats interesting and big Laurie was absoluteky right to call them out but its clear where Lineker wanted to go.
I hadn't seen that before - it's a little bit sickening to watch. Fair dues to Lawrie McMenemy telling them they're out of order.
Kendall, by his own admission in his autobiography, was negotiating a move to Barcelona for himself during the spring of 1986 to takeover from Terry Venables that summer. Ok, it fell through in the end, but it really has to be asked did Kendall take his eye off the ball during a critical part of the season in which we ended up blowing the double?

Lineker came back from the World Cup and was basically told he was surplus to requirements and free to talk to Barcelona. Kendall did nothing to keep him. Was it down to HK still coveting the Barca job and was hoping to follow him there?
Seems like it was already pretty much a done deal from the way they were talking then, tho Lineker was a bit sheepish at first, his "No comprende" line was a pretty clear indication.

Yes that connection I suppose we had no chance of re signing him......
He's made more out of TV pundit, and Walkers crisp than kicking a ball......
Although, as such a prolific striker what wages would he be on as a player today? Obviously the game has changed since the eighties but if he was playing today he'd probably be one of the best paid players.

Possibly the most smug, self-serving and sanctimonious cretin ever to wear the Royal Blue shirt.
He rarely mentions us because he turned a championship winning team into runners-up.
HK was spot on selling him; an opinion which history has proven to be well-founded.

Status
Not open for further replies.